Exercise and Osteoporosis

Options
I have advanced osteoporosis and it is an exercise limitation. I am not supposed to bend at the waist, twist at the waist and hunch my shoulders forward, I do walk every day, but I need to do more to lose weight. I have a lot of belly fat (my main problem) but sit ups and crunches are out of the question, band work is out of the question because you bend at the waist, There are many things that I cannot do. I am planning to make an appointment with a physical therapist who hopefully can help me put an exercise routine together that will both strengthen my bones and help me lose weight. Anyone else in the same boat and how do you work around it?

Replies

• NikiChicken
    NikiChicken Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    The physical therapist is a FANTASTIC move. They will help you find exercises that you can do and make you feel better. Other than that, weight is truly lost in the kitchen, not the gym. You lose weight in the kitchen and get fit in the gym. If you eat at a deficit, you WILL lose, whether or not you are exercising.

Good luck with the physical therapist! PTs are like doctors - make sure you get one you like and are comfortable with. If you don't like them or are uncomfortable with them, find someone else! it's important that you have a good, trusting relationship. I have worked with PTs several times over the years and am currently working with one due to arthritis in my lumbar spine region. A good one can make all the difference in the world.
  • PrimalGirl
    PrimalGirl Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi, I don't have your condition, but I would think swimming is okay as the water supports your weight? And it's one of the best exercises for losing weight and strengthening muscle. Water aerobics?

I also know that bone density is increased by weight-bearing activity, so walking is a good start. How about walking while carrying a load in each hand? Also step ups onto a box or your bottom stair, and progressing to step ups while holding weights, would work your lower body and core well.

Belly fat won't go away with sit ups anyway, so don't worry about that. You need to drop your overall bodyfat percentage through calorie control and exercise.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    I have spinal arthritis in my lower spine, so I have similar restrictions. Other than walking, I use a pilates machine. I sit on the machine and it uses your own weight and cords as resistance, so it's more of a weight training exercise than it is a cardio. You don't need a machine to do pilates and most of the moves do not involve twisting or bending and then straightening. What I do on the machine is designed to strengthen the core muscles and work the upper arms. And as I'm sure you know, having strong core muscles really helps support the spine. I also will lay down on it and do what I refer to as "lay down squats" since I also have arthritis in my knees and squats are not possible for me. I got my machine from QVC along with the platform for it as getting to the floor and back up is hard for me.

Hope this helps.

Pat
  • Shihtzumama1
    Shihtzumama1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thx. U all inspired me. I'm definitely looking for a PT. My subdivision actually has water aerobics classes! And I am going to look at the QVC Pilates machine.