Question for all you awesome achievers!

Options
That_Girl
That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
How long did it take you to lose your weight?

I see these awesome pictures but some of them don't have dates...

Am I unrealistic to think I'll lose 50 pounds in about 8 months? (I will be dedicated)

Thanks!

Replies

• BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You could totally do it. That's only about 1.6 pounds a week rounded up and when you first start you'll probably drop a lot more than that per week until all your water weight is gone and your body starts adjusting to your new routine.
  • mantha_9008
    Options
    I saw a woman on here that lost 40 pounds in 4 months!!! So it is definitely not unrealistic. I think you can totally do it if you're really determined. Good luck! :smile:
  • schwarzaj
    schwarzaj Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    i lost 50 lbs in about 6 months! 265-215 its totally possible
  • Cytherea
    Cytherea Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    I averaged about 5 lbs. a month. My one year anniversary is coming up on here, and I'm hoping that it will be a total of 60 lbs. over the course of the year (I haven't been able to officially weigh in for almost a month! lol).

It all depends on the person, really. Some people can lose more like 8 lbs. a month, some lose fast in the beginning and then it evens out/plateaus... I would suggest working hard, sticking to it, and not forcing yourself with too many hard deadlines. You will get there if you are patient and persevere!

Best of luck! :flowerforyou:
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    i love watching those shows where people lose like 90 pounds in as many days, keeps my chin up! sure, it's totally possible! and the added benefit is you'll probably keep it off too!
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    Take your time making healthier changes in life and it will stay off in the end because you made new habits. Think about averaging a pound or 2 a week and shoot for that! You will do great! Keep challenging yourself and keep it interesting!

I have lost about 60-65 pounds over a series of 3years. BUT I would say I lost 35 or so from Oct 2009-June2010.
    New habits in life have made me feel good no matter what. I still have 25 or so to go and it is getting harder and harder to get it off. It will all happen as I keep at it though!

Best of luck! :-D
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    You could totally do it. That's only about 1.6 pounds a week rounded up and when you first start you'll probably drop a lot more than that per week until all your water weight is gone and your body starts adjusting to your new routine.

Thanks for figuring out the math haha I was being lazy! . You are right though I think! Sounds totally do-able! Just stick to it. Keep it REAL food no fad CRAP and you are good to go and good for life! :-D
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    50 pounds in 8 months seems reasonable. It's a little over six pounds a months, so, losing about 1.5 pounds a week is very realistic. Some weeks you'll lose more, some less due to your cycle, plateaus, etc. but overall, it sounds good.

It took me 6 months to lose 90% of the weight I wanted to lose and I lost the other 10% over the next three months--so 9 months alltogether.

I've had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy so my ability to restrict calories and eat less is certainly enhanced. That said, it wasn't a walk in the park. I had to make life-long changes. I needed to learn to eat correctly and in the right amounts, eat the right foods, exercise regularly, drop bad habits--all the things everyone seeking to lose weight needs to do. And, I've had to learn to maintain it.

Now that the weight is gone, if I don't continue with the good habits the weight can come back. There are no guarantees, only good and bad habits that will yield predictable outcomes!

Best wishes to you for making your goal!
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options

Thanks for figuring out the math haha I was being lazy! Except it is actually 2.5 pounds per week since there are 20 weeks in 8 months. You are right though I think! Sounds totally do-able! Just stick to it. Keep it REAL food no fad CRAP and you are good to go and good for life! :-D

Wait what. 8 months x 4 weeks per month is 32.
    50lbs / 32 weeks = 1.5625

I'm pretty terrible at math but I pretty sure I did that right.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Thanks for figuring out the math haha I was being lazy! Except it is actually 2.5 pounds per week since there are 20 weeks in 8 months. You are right though I think! Sounds totally do-able! Just stick to it. Keep it REAL food no fad CRAP and you are good to go and good for life! :-D

Wait what. 8 months x 4 weeks per month is 32.
    50lbs / 32 weeks = 1.5625

I'm pretty terrible at math but I pretty sure I did that right.
    I edited my post already before anyone commented. I fixed my comment. It was a mistake. Easy to make. lol
  • That_Girl
    Options
    What's sad is that I'm a teacher and I'm so tired, I don't know who is right LOL! Thanks, guys :)
  • That_Girl
    Options
    Grrr...double post.
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options
    What's sad is that I'm a teacher and I'm so tired, I don't know who is right LOL! Thanks, guys :)

I am a teacher too... but I failed to edit my post before submitting it! hahaha
  • That_Girl
    Options

HAHA! Oh well, I teach 5th grade. At best you'll get a 6th grade answer. Right now my 5th grade answer is, "Huhh???"

lollll
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

HAHA! Oh well, I teach 5th grade. At best you'll get a 6th grade answer. Right now my 5th grade answer is, "Huhh???"

lollll
    Sounds like the typical 5th grader! ;)
  • nubreeze33
    Options
    THAT'S VERY REALISTIC! WELCOME ABOARD!
  • MichaelPowell
    Options

Am I unrealistic to think I'll lose 50 pounds in about 8 months? (I will be dedicated)

Thanks!

180 lbs in 2 years "Mostly from power-walking".
  • Shawnalee0703
    Options

Thanks!

180 lbs in 2 years "Mostly from power-walking".
    Holy crap! Congrats!!!
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I started on here the first time Feb 2 2010 it took me until june to reach my goal of 40 pounds lost.
    After the first few weeks the pounds melted off, then the people at my job started to worry they thought I was starving myself and over exercising, even though they would see me eat. I think that every body has a secret formula and I was lucky to find mine but I played around with everything I learned on here.
  • carolinegeorgia
    Options
    totally doable, good luck ;-)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!