Five weeks intensive running and no results - I need help

Options
Hey smart community,

I feel like I went in excess! Sorry if this is TLDR.

This is my first post, so here is a small intro - I'm a young woman in my early twenties. I'm 5'5'' and I weigh about 149 pounds give or take 1 pound standard deviation. I understand BMI is not super accurate, but this puts me right at the cusp of being in average verses overweight range. Trust me, I'm not solid muscle. My mother who is a medical doctor describes my physical appearance as "puffy". I've recently graduated college, and I've decided that I need to lose all the weight that I gained while studying and working in school (school was my number one priority for 8 years).

Ok, so the truth is- I've been trying to lose this weight since my junior year of high school, although I didn't get scientific about it until this past year. My journey has been nothing but headache and confusion. Since graduating, I've decided to dedicate myself purely to being healthier (and, yes, I'd love to lose weight too). I know I can do it- somehow.

This past school year:

I'll try not to bore you with the semantics, but I decide to get down to pure data and self experimentation. I spent the entire first semester on a restricted calorie diet. Truthfully, I was not exercising regularly during school, but my day was fairly active walking to classes and such. I used a pedometer and although, I was not tracking the data- I'd say that my range was between 6000-12000 steps (given slow days and busy days). Believing that losing weight is 60% diet and 40% exercise - I made my diet my religion during this time as I believe that I was somehow being indisciplined in my eating habits. The calories I consumed consisted of lean meats (like eggs and salmon), oatmeal and lots of veggies. During this entire year I didn't have any sweets, dressings, limited sodium, sugary drinks, butter, additional oils, bread nor white carbs.The first semester, I allotted between 500-1100 calories a day (surprisingly, this is not a much of a challenge for me probably because my metabolism was slowed down). I took my weight and measurements weekly. Technically, I lost 5 pounds in the first semester, but my data might have been skewed by water weight. My body measurements nominally changed. I talked to my doctor and even had my thyroid checked, but my thyroid did not seem to be the problem (I did find out that I have very low blood pressure). I even went to the nutricionist at school to analyze my diet, and she had nothing to change about my diet. That was frustrating, because I wanted to being doing something wrong so I fix it. After realizing that I was unintentionally being unhealthy (eating an amount that could be considered an eating disorder), I bumped my calorie to my BMR of about 1500-1700 calories a day (remember I'm fairly active young person). During the second semester I was stalled all year. I was less restrictive on my diet (but this was very occasional). I even experimented with raspberry key tones, but everything stayed the same.

After graduating, I decided that my problem was exercise. I stopped counting my calories religiously, because I had moved back home with my parents and the food was not easily calculated. My family eat a fairly clean diet, nevertheless I limit my intake of food, and I still avoid breads, sugars etc. My biggest change was that I decide to start running six days a week. I run between 4- 7 miles a day (or between 25-42 miles a week). Including my runs, I log between 10000-17000 steps a day. I'm about to complete my fifth week of intense running. I've lost no inches or weight. I do feel better and leaner (but my measurements have not changed). The only change is my resting BPM. I've gone from 74BPM to 64 BPM during this five weeks.

I'm really happy that I feel healthier, but I can't figure out why my weight or measurements have not changed. I don't think I've plateaued because I never lost anything. I don't want to get discouraged, and I want to make this a permanent lifestyle. I do want to loose weight and/or inches. I've been thinking about taking supplements (I'm skeptical). I think I'm built for long distance running (because I have endurance for long runs). I've reading about weight training and HIIT workouts. Starting either would be a learning curve, but I'll do it- if it to works. I do have Insanity, but I'm worried that awkwardly working out for 45 minutes would not burn as much as one of my 7 mile runs.- opinions? Assuming that all that really matters is calories out verses calories in.

I hope I don't come as being self assured or vindictive, because I am open to new ideas. I'm just frustrated and emotionally exhausted with my lack of progress in comparison to my well intentioned efforts and research. I'm also tired of being judged outwardly as being not honest or lazy- I'm sure many can relate. Maybe someone can help me figure out a solution.

Thanks for taking the time to help a complete stranger. I'm very grateful! Thanks! :)

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    When you were in school and counting calories - were you using a food scale? If not then you were probably consuming more than you think. Low enough to have a deficit, and losing 5 pounds when you only need to lose 10-20 is not bad. Now you're more active, but not counting calories and not in control completely over the food you eat. So you have no way to know how much you consume, even if you do try to generally use portion control.

For losing weight, the one and only key is to have a calorie deficit. Take in less than you expend.

I'd think you can go about this one of two ways:

a) count calories. Your BMR is about 1500. I imagine you'd be considered 'moderately active' or 'very active'. The lower of those would have a TDEE of 2300. So you'd want to eat about 1700-1900 per day. 1800 is a 500 deficit.

Counting calories means using a food scale, and actively tracking everything you eat. Estimating or eyeballing or guessing defeats the purpose.

b) if you're content with your body overall, but want to tone (ie defeat the puffiness) then look into adding strength training. Which you should probably incorporate anyhow. Everything looks better when the muscles beneath are sleeker.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    You need a good plan.

First, figure out your TDEE without exercise. From there, subtract between 250 and 500 calories and set that as your goal calories per day.

If you exercise, such as your runs, log them and eat back only half the calories. So, if your run burned 500 calories, only eat back 250.

You WILL need a food scale. Period. 1 serving of cereal via amount is usually 50% more calories than 1 serving by weight as an example of why you need a scale.

Additionally, you will definitely need to ensure you are getting healthy carbohydrates (vegetables, fruits, whole wheat grains) and fats in your diet. Fats are used for hormone regulation, nervous system maintenance, and vitamin absorption.

Accurate logging is a must. Both for food and exercise. Also keep in mind, most exercise burn is greatly over estimated.
  • spencerwilson23
    Options
    You are right- I really don't know how much I'm eating with certainity. While I was in school I was using measuring cups instead of a scale. Most things like eggs, salmon, or oatmeal I just follow the serving sizes packages. I've heard that scales are the only true way to know, but it seemed like a stretch for this amount of time. I'll going to give it a shot for a few weeks.

I have elastic bands here at the house. Is there any videos that you'd suggest?

Side question- should I be running as much as I do now?
  • spencerwilson23
    Options
    Thanks Dana, I'm getting the feeling that the scale might be the only way to really know. :)
  • sshintaku
    sshintaku Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I've had better results with interval type training than steady jogs, although I run a 10-11 min mile so my run isn't super intense. I did experiment with jog/sprint combos, and that helped me loose some, but I really don't enjoy running, so I started combining workout videos, yoga and weights (dumbbells, don't have access to a gym) and have had really good results. Maybe try mixing up your running with different types of workouts. Say run 2-3 days a week, and throw in a day or two of weights or workout video interval training.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Fitbit or similar device for knowing these step counts?
    Does it also estimate a daily calorie burn?
    Does it sync with MFP?

Suggest you apply advice for the eating part, or calories in part of equation.

And if you indeed have above device, use that with MFP for the calories out part of the equation.

And perhaps back off the running that much. Even at maintenance that would be a lot, and would take a smart workout routine to truly make it beneficial.
    You would not be unusual to just make every run as hard as it can be - and that's counterproductive, and making your body one big ball of stress, especially attempting a diet. Stress is bad for losing fat.
    Replace couple of those days with upper body strength, which is where you are losing muscle mass at. You'll likely want that later, but even now.
    The HIIT is for those that only want to do cardio, but want something close to lifting and it's benefits.
    Skip the HIIT - just use the time for the real benefits by strength training.

Last part is reasonable deficit. 20% mentioned, or if 10-25 left to lose, 1 lb max weekly.

And you seem to be confusing exercising with weight loss and diet.
    Only thing exercising does for diet is increase your daily burn, so after you remove 500 for a deficit, you still get to eat enough to hopefully adhere to it, compared to eating less on days you don't burn as much.

Exercise if done right for body improvement usually has weight gain as side effect, but it can help retain muscle mass if right stuff done like strength training, so it can help fat only loss.
  • JDReedRN
    JDReedRN Posts: 1
    Options
    Running is definitely important for overall health, strength, mood, sleep and staying in the mindset of a healthy lifestyle, but most people grossly overestimate the calorie impact of exercise.

The people who lose weight and keep it off do so by creating a lifestyle that supports making the right choices. Exercise is a big part of that lifestyle, especially for long-term maintenance, but diet (as in what you eat, not "dieting" which is different) is what will contribute the most to creating that calorie deficit already discussed.
  • sltovey
    sltovey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'll leave the scientific replies to the very knowledgeable MFP veterans and just give you my opinion:

1. You went from 0 to 25-42 miles per week in 5 weeks? Good lord, that's gotta be stressing your body out. It took me longer than that to finish c25k! But maybe I'm misreading you?
    2. If your problem is that, despite being a reasonable weight for your height, you look fluffy, you might want to focus less on cardio and more on strength. I run a good bit, but it doesn't touch my stomach. Three weeks into a body weight lifting program, and I see a clear difference in my stomach. I don't personally like Insanity, etc. For me, it took downloading the You Are Your Own Gym app, which is excellent, to have some motivation. I think Stronglifts 5x5 also has a good app?
    3. If you are having trouble sticking to your calories, try focusing on protein and fat in your diet. All the exercise that I do makes me binge if I'm not getting adequate protein.

Good luck, girl!
  • thehound9987
    Options
    When I started my weight loss plan I was all about cardio and light weight lifting I was losing weight but I could not really tell for the first 30 pounds. I started doing crossfit and I was able to tell a huge difference. I have lost 24lbs doing it. Keep on counting calories add more weight lifting like Stronglifts 5x5 or Crossfit and u will see the change in a couple months. That is what I suggest.
  • RealtyGoddess
    RealtyGoddess Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    You may want to try juicing for 3 to 5 days. I mean REAL juicing. Not bottle buying. Might put the nutrients right where they need to be and shake your body up.
  • Paul_Collyer
    Paul_Collyer Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm BMI 26-27 which puts me in the overweight category, but I've gone from 100kg ( 173cm ) to around 80 or so and am as fit as a fiddle with VO2 Max high 40's and can run 5k close to 20 mins and a marathon under 4 hours. I am definitely a bit "fluffy" around the middle but have 32" trousers compared to 36-38" two years ago and wear either medium or large tops depending on the cut. I am very broad chested. I wouldn't say I am particularly muscular apart from the calves.

In short, I conclude BMI is very misleading. Don't get me wrong I'd like to lose my last 6kg or at least turn some of it to muscle but I've come around to the fact now it is going to take a very long time and also that it isn't necessary for me to lose more to be fighting fit.
  • spencerwilson23
    Options
    Thank you for the overwhelming responses. I going use a kitchen scale and change up my exercise routines. I guess I'll make my diet a religion again with a scale. I'm actually about to move to Japan in few weeks, so I'll need to bring one with me.

Heybales: I don't have a fit bit, but I've been using and LifeTrak and cross referencing with an iPhone app to scale my days. Normally I use LoseIt, but just because I like format better. I think I'm going to just run seven miles three times a week and maybe just use weights (resistance bands is what I have) and Insanity for the other three days. I know it is hard to gage how many calories you burn in a session, and that is why I'm trying to run for miles, because I can have a better idea of how I'm doing. How does that sound, honestly?

sltovey: I know it is a lot. I've just have been able to run like that since high school. I just do it. I think I could run a half tomorrow if I put my mind to it. Then again- maybe that means it is not hard enough. That is why I kept adding distance because I thought I could do it too readily. I'm definitely going to check out the apps you mentioned- I'm clueless about weights and that intimidates me. I've never been a binge eater unless you put a jar of nutella in front of me. haha. I never buy it for that reason.

JDReedRN: That is always solid advice. As young person about to be on my own- I feel like I'm still trying to create a pattern of lifestyle outside of school.

sshintaku: I think that is new plan for me, thank you so much. Do you have a favorite?
  • spencerwilson23
    Options
    Paul_Collyer: Thanks making that point. I'd definitely say that I'm on my way to being a healthier person despite the extra fluff.

Realty_Goddess: Any suggestions or links about juicing? I have juicer here. Thanks!

thehounds9989: I doubt ill have crossfit classes in Japan, but I glad to hear how it has worked well for you. :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Heybales: I don't have a fit bit, but I've been using and LifeTrak and cross referencing with an iPhone app to scale my days. Normally I use LoseIt, but just because I like format better. I think I'm going to just run seven miles three times a week and maybe just use weights (resistance bands is what I have) and Insanity for the other three days. I know it is hard to gage how many calories you burn in a session, and that is why I'm trying to run for miles, because I can have a better idea of how I'm doing. How does that sound, honestly?

sltovey: I know it is a lot. I've just have been able to run like that since high school. I just do it. I think I could run a half tomorrow if I put my mind to it. Then again- maybe that means it is not hard enough. That is why I kept adding distance because I thought I could do it too readily. I'm definitely going to check out the apps you mentioned- I'm clueless about weights and that intimidates me. I've never been a binge eater unless you put a jar of nutella in front of me. haha. I never buy it for that reason.

Just confirm if using MFP, you use it properly. Look at total time of run and the pace.
    If you log running 7 miles in 90 min say, that is 4.5 mph. (tad more actually, but rounded).
    But if you did 10 min walking as warmup and 10 min cooldown, and the running actually took 70 min for 7 miles, that's 6 mph, and 20 min walking say 4 mph. 2 entries.
    Those are the most accurate entries in the database - if you hit that speed exactly for the whole time stated.
    Or just figure it out later.
    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html

Because you still need to eat correctly for level of activity, which means you burn more, you eat more, deficit to lose weight is still there exercise or not. Bigger deficit is not better.

For good recovery from the Insanity, and to make it and it's benefits your focus - make the running shorter and calmer. Your leg muscles, if you did the Insanity hard, or going to need to recover and repair for 24-36 hrs - and that doesn't happen when you are working them hard the next day. So don't waste the Insanity workout by going too hard on running.
    In addition, if you run too hard or too long, you'll be tired for Insanity and won't be able to push as hard. It's the hard push that sees body improvement.
    The endurance you are talking about is merely storing more carbs in the muscle for longer energy needs, and improving your cardio system. Which are all valid things, but unless that's your focus - don't go for those results.

Insanity is just logged as circuit training, and it may seem low compared to cardio, but it's true, but it's more than nothing. Again get the time correct, if 10 min total warm-up and stretching, then the circuit training was not 60 min, it was 50 min, when you log it.

To your point of it not being hard enough because you can just do it - you've maintained your cardio fitness, that's what that means - and great job doing so.
    Whether it feels easy or not - if going the same pace and same weight, you burn the same calories. It feeling easier or harder is a factor on what fuel is being burned - low HR is fat, higher HR is carbs. For recovery level running, you want low HR in fat-burning zone, get the blood flowing to those muscles trying to repair and get stronger.
  • spencerwilson23
    Options
    hey bales: You have been a wealth of information- thank you so very much!
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    Just from personal experience I would try to add in some weight training. That really help me losing inches and lbs last year. Also if you want to really go through your food... Log on MFP and open your diary. That way people can give you ideas of food. They say weightloss is 80% diet and 20% exercise. I think it is a little more like 60/40 for me but you get the idea.