How can already slim girl lose weight?

Hello!

I'm not happy the way I look, so I decided to lose some weight. I've tried giving up sweets and white bread but that hasn't worked on me. So I'm not overweight or anything, I'm 168cm tall and weigh 55kg, I'm athletic and toned. At schooltime my exercise is track and field trainings 4 times a week (very intensive), at summertime I go running myself, I usually run 3-4 times a week 6-15km, plus gym.

The question is how can I lose weight when already being slim? Should I count calories or have some kind of special diet? I would like to get from 55kg to 50-51kg.

Thank you for your help! :)

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    You would lose weight the same way anyone does, with a calorie deficit. Calorie counting should work if you are accurate and honest about it.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    count calories. though it should be said that you should make sure that your goal weight wont put you in the underweight catagory
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Sounds to me like actually need to gain weight and put on some muscle, then cut back down. You'll end up at the same-ish weight you are now but with a better body composition.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Sounds to me like actually need to gain weight and put on some muscle, then cut back down. You'll end up at the same-ish weight you are now but with a better body composition.
    actually yea im gonna change my original comment to this.

body recomp all the way. if someone has the picture of the girl from nerd fitness who did a recomp that would be the best way to show this
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    why do you want to lose weight? to get better performance? or does your training require you staying within certain weight?

You might be able to lose a few but your body might want to fight back short after...so keep that in mind...
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Count every single calorie. "Cutting back" on eating or cutting out certain foods is not going to work. Do not expect to lose weight by exercising. You must track calories. One pound of weight loss equals a calorie deficit of 3500.
  • albayin

I was wondering about the "bulk and cut" cycles...but I have a huge mental block on eating more....
  • Thanks for your help! The body recomp idea seems good, but for that I should still change my diet and that should mean eating mainly protein?
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    Since you are not happy with your shape but ok about your weight, have you considered a body composition analysis? Losing more weight might put you at an unhealthy low fat-percentage for a woman. The healthy range for women is 20-22% fat.

If you are already thin then details of your shape are due to your muscles. A moderate weight-lifting program will probably get you the look you want, though it's possible you will actually gain a few pounds. *Weighing* more in that case doesn't matter--it would be muscle, not fat--and your goal is to look better, not meet some arbitrary weight number, high or low.

Talk to someone who can guide you on weight training. Worst case scenario, read books, posts, and watch videos online & DVD to learn how to do it.
  • AJ_G
    Thanks for your help! The body recomp idea seems good, but for that I should still change my diet and that should mean eating mainly protein?

Protein = 0.82g per pound of body weight
    Fat = 0.4g per pound of body weight
    Carbs = Remaining calories after protein and fat are deducted from total intake

As long as you hit your protein and fat goal every day, as well as making sure you are getting 25+ grams of fiber a day and all your vitamins and minerals, pretty much eat whatever you want.
  • To Albayin: I don't want to lose weight because of my trainings, I just want to be a bit slimmer. And my body fighting back has been my problem when trying to lose weight. When I've managed to lose a bit of weight, it has been coming back.
  • albayin
    No, I don't want to lose weight because of my trainings, I just want to be a bit slimmer. And my body fighting back has been my problem when trying to lose weight. When I've managed to lose a bit of weight, it has been coming back.

seriously girl, I could have written this post....I am in the same boat~ I have been fighting for years...
  • AJ_G

I was wondering about the "bulk and cut" cycles...but I have a huge mental block on eating more....

Most women do, it's hard for a woman to bulk when she's been told her entire life that losing weight is the only way to look better. Basically if you bulk slowly (TDEE + 10% for calorie intake), you will put on muscle and fat, but if you are utilizing a heavy lifting program, and eating enough protein, most of your weight gain will be muscle. Then when you've gained enough muscle, cut back down (TDEE - 10% to 20%) and you will lose muscle and fat, but again if you are lifting heavy and eating plenty of protein, you will minimize muscle loss and lose mostly fat. The end result is you are at the same weight as you were before both cycles, but you have higher muscle mass and lower body fat mass, and body fat percentage.
  • albayin

Most women do, it's hard for a woman to bulk when she's been told her entire life that losing weight is the only way to look better. Basically if you bulk slowly (TDEE + 10% for calorie intake), you will put on muscle and fat, but if you are utilizing a heavy lifting program, and eating enough protein, most of your weight gain will be muscle. Then when you've gained enough muscle, cut back down (TDEE - 10% to 20%) and you will lose muscle and fat, but again if you are lifting heavy and eating plenty of protein, you will minimize muscle loss and lose mostly fat. The end result is you are at the same weight as you were before both cycles, but you have higher muscle mass and lower body fat mass, and body fat percentage.

I have hard time to lose weight so the blockage is really about "what if after bulking I can't lose..."
  • AJ_G

I have hard time to lose weight so the blockage is really about "what if after bulking I can't lose..."

How accurate are you with your calorie counting? Do you weigh and measure all your food before eating it? Do you track every single piece of food you put in your mouth? Most people underestimate calorie intake and overestimate calorie burn leading to a calorie error of hundreds of calories a day.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    You do not need to lose weight. It sounds like you'd like to drop a little body fat. Eat at a small deficit and lift heavy weights. You will be very happy with results after about 4-6 months if you lift consistently.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member

I completely agree with this.
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Your BMI is 19.6, very close to underweight. Please don't lose any more. Focus on building muscle, that will lower your BF%
  • woodml1
    woodml1 Posts: 199 Member
    I'm going to give a potentially unpopular answer...

First try to appreciate the body that you have and all of the wonderful things, like running/track, that it's capable of. Your body is friggin' amazing! How it works and what what it can do is SO COOL! Sometime it's hard to see the forest for the trees but you really are luck to have the body that you do.

It's hard to enter into a bulk/cut cycle or to lose weight in a healthful way without loving and respecting you body. It also sounds like you're quite young. I would hate to see you develop a negative relationship with your body or exercise or food that may follow you for your entire life.

In short my advice is this: focus on loving yourself and your body first.
  • bcattoes

Based on what? In her post she says she is athletic and toned. What makes you believe she's not?
  • sak20011
    sak20011 Posts: 94 Member
    at 5'5" and 122 lbs your BMI is 19.5, so on the low end of healthy--- and your body is probably fighting it because you'd have to really cut back on calories and you'd most likely lose muscle mass along with everything else. If you want to add muscle, then you should probably increase calories/protein and do more heavy lifting.

while I generally don't think it is the place of the community at MFP to tell people whether they are too thin/fat/whatever, I personally would not want to encourage an already thin young woman to lose weight.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,961 Member

I think once you're lifting heavy weights and doing some cardio, you'll be hungry for more. The mental block will probably just go away while you're simultaneously eating more. Are you hoping to become more toned than you already are? If so, the above advise is good. Otherwise, I think you could just stick where you are :wink:
  • albayin
    I'm going to give a potentially unpopular answer...

First try to appreciate the body that you have and all of the wonderful things, like running/track, that it's capable of. Your body is friggin' amazing! How it works and what what it can do is SO COOL! Sometime it's hard to see the forest for the trees but you really are luck to have the body that you do.

It's hard to enter into a bulk/cut cycle or to lose weight in a healthful way without loving and respecting you body. It also sounds like you're quite young. I would hate to see you develop a negative relationship with your body or exercise or food that may follow you for your entire life.

In short my advice is this: focus on loving yourself and your body first.

dont care if this is unpopular but I would love to think this way some day...Me is a bad case of bad relationship with my own body...my own worst enemy.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member

I completely agree with this.

I agree also. Even though you are athletic and toned, it sounds like you want even more of that. So, eat a very slight deficit or maintenance and strength train with weights.
  • AJ_G

Based on what? In her post she says she is athletic and toned. What makes you believe she's not?

Based on the fact that she's 5'6", 122 lbs, says she wants to lose weight meaning she's not happy with her body, that's the definition of skinny-fat. She needs to increase muscle and decrease body fat. Easiest and fastest way to do that is a bulk and cut
  • bcattoes

Based on the fact that she's 5'6", 122 lbs, says she wants to lose weight meaning she's not happy with her body, that's the definition of skinny-fat. She needs to increase muscle and decrease body fat. Easiest and fastest way to do that is a bulk and cut

Um, no. The definition of skinny fat is having a healthy range BMI and an unhealthy range BF%. It's highly unlikely that an 18 yo athlete is skinny fat at 122 lbs. At that age most girls are naturally pretty firm, unless they have recently lost a lot of weight. She's a young girl. Most young girls are unsatisfied with their body.
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    For the U.S. audience, translating from metric, the OP is 5'6" and weight 121 lbs. Her BMI is 19.5. She doesn't need to lose weight.
  • AJ_G

Um, no. The definition of skinny fat is having a healthy range BMI and an unhealthy range BF%. It's highly unlikely that an 18 yo athlete is skinny fat at 122 lbs. At that age most girls are naturally pretty firm, unless they have recently lost a lot of weight. She's a young girl. Most young girls are unsatisfied with their body.

She asked for advice, my advice to her is not to lose anymore weight from where she is right now. If she would like to change her body, do a bulk and cut cycle, if she doesn't, then maintain at her current weight, but she shouldn't lose anymore weight.
  • Thanks for all the answers!

But skinny-fat is definately not me. My body is toned, I would just like to look, well, it's hard to explain, but maybe the right word is smaller?

My body ideal is something like that, only a bit more muscular.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/04/22/article-2610235-1D41A07E00000578-391_634x978.jpg