21 Day Fix - REAL results/opinions ..no coaches

Options

Replies

• dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    I use and sell Herbalife and its super easy to use. I know you said no coaches but I just thought I'd mention its easy to fit into your daily diet without having to stick to a st workout program or time restricted meals. But try what you feel will work for you!

Seriously?

Anyway -

I AM a Beachbody coach, and I know you said no coaches, but coaches do know a bit about the program. I myself have no specific interest in the program but lots of my friends have used it and have gotten good results. The exercises are considered to work well for all fitness levels, but the main idea behind 21 Day Fix is that it teaches balanced eating habits. The container system helps you to know what to eat, how much, and when - so if you are a person who struggles with nutrition, it could be a good option for ya. I don't have interest in the program because I feel like I eat just fine, but yeah - I think that's the main draw.

Healthy eating, regardless of whether or not you decide to go with 21 Day Fix, does require a little bit more planning and prep work on your part. So if that is something you can commit to, go for it.

And to the person who asked about what happens on day 22? :) Many people with more amounts of weight to lose choose to repeat the program multiple times to continue to see results. A person who is already in good shape might use the program as a way to do a quick tighten/tune up before a wedding or vacation. It's 21 days because it takes 21 days to form a habit, but the habits can be ongoing and fit your healthier lifestyle.

I don't think 21 Day Fix is currently on backorder but it was the most massive roll-out in Beachbody history. I couldn't friggen believe it, lol.
    Everyone is always looking for a quick fix. I'd rather spend my money on food instead of giving it to some pyramid company to get supplements.

I think anyone who even hints at promoting their beach body stuff on this site should get a Perma ban. I think some of those same coaches that say I'm a coach but never actually push their agenda are hoping people will PM them. I've gotten countless PMs on beach body garbage. No thanks. Anything promoted as 21 days is a fad. One day you won't want to use the supplements anymore, then what? Laziness = searching for quick fixes.

I do actually enjoy T25 and P90X3 which is through Beachbody. And no I am not a coach and I don't care if people buy them or not. But not everything they sell is a rip off. The shakeology and 21 day fix are a waste of money though.
  • BlissfullyActice
    Options
    I actually think workout wise it is a good program, I just do the videos with my neighbour and do not plan on getting the containers and all. I just eat what has been plugged in for me with another program and regulate it through MFP. I mix it with other workout, I like the HIIT style of workout, but I don't know, I got lucky with my neighbour having it. You can do other workouts like it for free, HIIT is all over youtube. You can easily learn to mix in weights. And on Day 22 I plan to keep working out and doing another routine, and mixing things together. Why do people assume people will stop at Day 21, some of us like having different workouts? Doesn't mean we will stop. But on day 22 I may add another video to my normal routine.
  • kristinashelton
    Options
    21 day fix has worked for a lot of people because it simplifies healthy eating. It is designed to teach portion control, and clean eating. Its only 21 days because that is what it takes the average person to create a habit. I start the program officially tomorrow, and enjoy that simplicity of knowing what I can and can not eat, since all food is not created equal. It also helps make better decisions about the fruits and veggies that I eat. I am currently recovering from surgery, so I am not allowed to do the workouts, I will have to start those later. This is something that I will continue over and over again, past the 21 days. It is super convenient that the workouts are only 30 mins. I used MFP for a long time, but the calculation that it gave me for calories I needed to eat always seemed off and my progress stalled for a long time. I also needed some thing that would give me more structure than just knowing I could eat x amount of calories every day. Everyone I know that has done it has gotten great results.
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    What happens on day 22?

If you still have more weight to lose you do another round. Some of the success stories report losing almost 100 lbs in doing 10 rounds. That's almost a whole year.

I lost 91lbs in 12 months with MFP, it was free and I ate all the foods I love...
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    In my experience it takes a lot longer than 21 days to create a "habit." More like 6 weeks, at least. Sometimes months...and, of course, it varies from person to person... http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/form-a-habit2.htm
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    21 day fix has worked for a lot of people because it simplifies healthy eating. It is designed to teach portion control, and clean eating. Its only 21 days because that is what it takes the average person to create a habit.

Actually, the '21 days to create a habit' idea is a myth. Not a lick of truth to it whatsoever. Habit formation is dependent on individual differences and the activity that one is trying to turn into a habit.

http://blogs.ucl.ac.uk/hbrc/2012/06/29/busting-the-21-days-habit-formation-myth/

So if we take averages into consideration, it'd be more like a 66 Day Fix... maybe.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options
    ETA: OP, could you please come back and post how many PM's from BB coaches you got? I'm always curious about that whenever I see someone start a thread that has anything to do with Beach Body!

Yes, please, do that. I'd like to know, as well.

So far, we have one Herbalife and one BB coach who don't follow instructions. And the BB coach chastises the Herbalife coach for her post. Classic.

greatlakes_1930.jpg

haha I am curious as well.
  • AbbyMRiley
    AbbyMRiley Posts: 31
    Options
    Something different works for everyone. The 21 day fix has helped me. It has helped me learn more about portion sizes. The starch container is tiny, I didn't realize the one serving of grains I was counting was really two-three servings. It tells you how many allotted containers of each color you can have for the day. I print off tally sheets I found someone make and just block off the containers as I go throughout the day. I think before I was eating 4-5 starches and a lot of those are replaced with vegetables and fruit now. I always had an aversion to fruit b/c I thought it was too much sugar and I'd rather get my carbs from vegetables or grains. I lost 5 lbs. the first week and 2-2.5 lbs. each week after. I am on my second round now. I enjoy the workouts. Something different every day and it is very doable, only approx. 30 minutes for each workout and you get a variety! I will say, the second round I am doing my own workouts. I love to run. So I do 3-4 runs per week and 3 videos from the 21 day fix each week and have the same results in terms of weight loss and energy.

If food scales and measuring and calorie counting works, great. I always struggle with staying consistent with that though. This is less tedious and less time consuming. I felt with calorie counting, I always ended up with too few at the end of the day and it was hard for me to find something I could eat for only 150 calories. I also didn't have really balanced macronutrients. That is just me, I know there are a lot of successful people on here calorie counting and measuring. I finally feel like I have reached a turning point and found what works for me. To each their own but I like the 21 day fix. I usually fill the containers then dump them on a plate so I can learn to visualize what each serving looks like. This helps for the time when you do go out to eat at a restaurant.
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm a coach but you said you wanted real results and opinions and I did do the program, so here they are:

-I lost 6.2 pounds and 9.5 inches in the 3 weeks. Not sure where you're starting at, but I was about 212 when I started and I'm 5'7". I only mention this because others I've seen do the program have lost more if they were on the heavier side to start, and less if they were smaller to start.
    -It's a great program for someone that doesn't have a very high level to begin with because there's a great modifier, and there's 7 different workouts so it keeps someone from getting bored. It's a good jump-start for beginners.
    -If you've already got a high level of fitness, I would go with something else.
    -It does take some planning, because the meal side of it does involve portion-control. You don't have to use the containers to pack everything in, but you can...they're more for measuring purposes to help you stay in range.
    -There's no calorie counting, which is nice, but if you don't like planning you'll hate it. You have to at least think ahead a meal at a time to figure out what you're eating and what category everything falls in: veggies, fruits, proteins, starches, healthy fats/nuts, and seeds.
    -It's a little more difficult if you eat out a lot, but pretty easy to figure it out after a few days. The booklet is helpful...I just carried it with me when grocery shopping.

Don't know if that aids in your decision or not, but find what works for you. The main thing is to stay active and watch what you eat...the rest will fall in place eventually regardless of the program you are doing. Good luck!
  • MEGAmm
    MEGAmm Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Something different works for everyone. The 21 day fix has helped me. It has helped me learn more about portion sizes. The starch container is tiny, I didn't realize the one serving of grains I was counting was really two-three servings. It tells you how many allotted containers of each color you can have for the day. I print off tally sheets I found someone make and just block off the containers as I go throughout the day. I think before I was eating 4-5 starches and a lot of those are replaced with vegetables and fruit now. I always had an aversion to fruit b/c I thought it was too much sugar and I'd rather get my carbs from vegetables or grains. I lost 5 lbs. the first week and 2-2.5 lbs. each week after. I am on my second round now. I enjoy the workouts. Something different every day and it is very doable, only approx. 30 minutes for each workout and you get a variety! I will say, the second round I am doing my own workouts. I love to run. So I do 3-4 runs per week and 3 videos from the 21 day fix each week and have the same results in terms of weight loss and energy.

If food scales and measuring and calorie counting works, great. I always struggle with staying consistent with that though. This is less tedious and less time consuming. I felt with calorie counting, I always ended up with too few at the end of the day and it was hard for me to find something I could eat for only 150 calories. I also didn't have really balanced macronutrients. That is just me, I know there are a lot of successful people on here calorie counting and measuring. I finally feel like I have reached a turning point and found what works for me. To each their own but I like the 21 day fix. I usually fill the containers then dump them on a plate so I can learn to visualize what each serving looks like. This helps for the time when you do go out to eat at a restaurant.

I am doing the 21 Day Fix right now, and I have to agree with the above statements! I was on MFP for a loooong time. I lost weight, gained weight, stayed the same weight... it's been years of ups and downs. I finally realized that counting calories isn't for me. I am GOOD at it. Too good. I stress about it and I get neurotic about it, and then I overeat because I'm a stress eater. Or I don't eat enough and I start getting too excited about being under my 1200 calorie goal (which I know is terrible, but that's what I was starting to feel).

Yes, you could easily create your own "21 Day Fix" by figuring out your own containers at the dollar store and figuring out how many to eat, and picking your own workouts. I could have done that, if I'd researched enough. But I'm glad I purchased it. My coach is a good friend of mine and she leads a Facebook fitness group that is not centered around BeachBody, but she knows the program I'm on and is really great about giving awesome advice. I love the workout plan because 21 Day Fix comes with a different workout for each day of the week! 30 minutes, easy peasy (but it will make you SWEAT). I can incorporate my running schedule into the workout regime as well.

I am eating a more balanced diet than ever before. When I'm done with my allotted containers for the day, I know I've not only had the right amount of calories, I've also gotten an assortment of nutrients and eaten those calories in a balanced way. Counting calories, I could each my limit in one meal, easily, if I'm not paying attention to portion sizes or food quality or types of food.

Anyway, that's my two cents. I am only on Day 3 and I'm super happy I'm doing the program. My energy level is soaring, even though I was getting over a cold when I started a few days ago. I haven't been craving sugar. I look forward to my meals, I eat snacks all throughout the day.... my body is happy with what's happening. :-)

If you have the money, go for it. Why not? Follow the program and enjoy every minute of it. Learn how to incorporate its teachings into a life and plan you can maintain. Don't have the money? Research the hell out of it and try and come up with your own thing. But keep the support system! Whether you have a coach or a friend group or a Facebook group or MFP, support is key in weight loss success.
  • t8tersalad
    t8tersalad Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    You can save a bunch of money by going to the Dollar Store and picking up some containers to put your premade meals in. Basically that is what you are paying for with the fix. They give you some tiny containers, a calorie goal, some meal ideas and that's about it.

Actually, that's not all there is to the program. There is a 30 min a day workout to this program, 7 days a week. So, it comes with workout CD's. I did it and loved it. Lost 8 pounds.
  • aliakynes
    aliakynes Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    Most grocery stores carry a wide variety of these: http://www.glad.com/food-storage/containers/ (they even have a few color lid options).

P.S. There are also tons of free workout videos on youtube.
  • FancyPantsFran
    FancyPantsFran Posts: 3,687 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ATyghter
    ATyghter Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    At the end of the day, any program has the ability to work or not work. Everyone is going to swear by their individual program because it's what works for them and it's what they believe in.

What it's going to come down to is consistency. Pick an activity you enjoy doing so that you continue to do it for the long haul. Food wise, invest in a set of measuring spoons from the dollar store and some pretty containers to match (I bought some really cute ones from Walmart).

Give yourself a free pass on non-starchy veggies and fruit and eat until you're satisfied. Use your hand to measure meats and cheese (Google hand food measurement). Measure grains and starches using your newly acquired tools. Keep it simple.

Best of luck on whatever you choose.
  • CuteAndCurvy83
    CuteAndCurvy83 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I just answered a question about the program MrM - no promotions here, or did you not actually read what I wrote? :)

I guess mentioning that you're a coach is a no-no. I might have been better off just talking about what the program is.

Sadly mentioning your are a coach gets you an automatic wall. Mostly because there are bad coaches out there that are ravenous wolves and instead of following beach body coach "etiquette" they are more concerned about making money then helping people. And it makes everyone look bad.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    So aside from the average waaa waaa salty salt.

Did the OP ever do it, and what result was gotten in the 21 days?
  • infinikitty
    infinikitty Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    So aside from the average waaa waaa salty salt.

Did the OP ever do it, and what result was gotten in the 21 days?

No idea...OP never checked back in.
  • yosassi
    yosassi Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I did the 21 Day Fix, and on Day 22, I didn't realise it was Day 22 and kept with the eating plan. It really changed the way I approached food and eating and in general, my fitness goals. Before it, I was very careful about what I was eating, I weighed my food, and I tried to adhere to a DIY 21DF-esque eating routine. It didn't work as well for me because at the end of the day, what the 21DF did was provide me with accountability. And I second everyone who suggested Fitness Blender. They're great. I second everyone who asks about Day 22. For me, I continued it because it was a lifestyle change, but not everyone will. It depends on what you need.

I am happy to share more details on my weight loss, but I am tired of people spreading negativity on these boards so would prefer to share via private message.

No matter what you decide, good luck! I'm happy to be in touch either way!
  • lizakramer
    Options
    i'm on day 15 of my first cycle on the 21 day fix. I feel like i've always tried to take short cuts, and although that works for the short term, it's not feasible for long term lifestyle changes. This program is. I feel better and am starting to enjoy vegetables. I had no idea how many greens i was missing in my regular diet. The program allows for some minor cheats so you can still enjoy your life, but it does take lots and lots of planning and produce shopping. I am feeling more toned and smaller overall. Actual numbers will be coming next monday.

Good luck in your search!
  • loriannknoblauch
    Options
    Today is day 3 for me. I have already learned a lot about my eating habits. I tend to over eat healthy foods...especially hummus! Last night when I filled my blue container with hummus, it was clear I had a portion control problem. My opinion this far: I am not hungry at all, actually have more to eat than I can fit in. My body hurts from yesterday's Pilates video. The best bonus...this morning my face is not bloated, no puffy eyes! I am 46, 207 lbs, fitness beginner.