Intermittent fasting

Options
Can anyone give me some info on this? I'm not suggesting I'm going to do it, or not going to do it, or whatever, I'm just curious what it is. I keep hearing about it and I don't understand why it is a thing people should do. Does anyone know the reasoning behind it or how it helps you diet?

Despite being on MFP for a very long time I am new to the healthy lifestyle thing. So I'm sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. I haven't spent much time here until recently.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    There are several threads on this site and at least one group.
    Look around some more.

======
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16FRcohh6Hw
    Fast Diet Interview with Dr Michael Mosley - Radio 2 (Full version)

The research seems to suggest that this kind of fasting can slow down aging at the cellular level.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    It's fun, but not going to slow down aging at a cellular level, that's not how it works. LOL
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Slow down aging at the cellular level? So, the cells will no longer die and be replaced but will now just be old? I'm not sure about that, but I have no idea how it's supposed to work.

It's a fad. I've seen and heard different explanations. A friend of mine is doing it. She eats whatever she wants, but she has to eat it all between four and eight p.m. She also did the hcg thing and just about every other diet that ever existed.

If it works for you, do it. But it is not necessary to lose weight.

And discuss any new weight loss plan with your doctor before embarking on your journey! :)
  • cookfit10
    cookfit10 Posts: 35
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is only going to slow down your metabolism. Your going to immediately see results, but in the long run it will be worse for you. If your new to the fitness life I would start with a cleanse
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    Intermittent fasting is only going to slow down your metabolism. Your going to immediately see results, but in the long run it will be worse for you. If your new to the fitness life I would start with a cleanse

umm..no

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/599982-intermittent-fasting-faq
  • GymTennis
    GymTennis Posts: 133 Member
    Options

LOL
  • gina_nz_
    gina_nz_ Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Try googling articles on it. Google is your friend.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options

That's not how this works.

That's not how any of this works.

d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg
  • cookfit10
    cookfit10 Posts: 35
    Options
    Your 100 percent correct I should study up before commenting. I didn't like doing intermittent fasting its not for me
  • ThePersnicketyOtter
    ThePersnicketyOtter Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    There are several threads on this site and at least one group.
    Look around some more.

I'm not sure how to search topics.
  • ClinicalTrial
    ClinicalTrial Posts: 55 Member
    Options

Ahahahahahahaha. Do yourself a favour by getting the right information and don't insult others by disseminating wrong information when they're here trying to get help.
  • wumba84
    wumba84 Posts: 14
    Options
    Can anyone give me some info on this? I'm not suggesting I'm going to do it, or not going to do it, or whatever, I'm just curious what it is. I keep hearing about it and I don't understand why it is a thing people should do. Does anyone know the reasoning behind it or how it helps you diet?

Despite being on MFP for a very long time I am new to the healthy lifestyle thing. So I'm sorry if this is kind of a dumb question. I haven't spent much time here until recently.

Intermittent fasting is a pattern of eating where you fast anywhere between 12-20 hours, and then use the remaining hours of the day accordingly to eat. It's difficult to do for long term...I did it for 2 weeks straight and lost 10 pounds!! Benefits include weight loss, cleaner teeth, and regularity. The fasting period depletes your body of glycogen stores, leaving your body with no other option but to use your fat stores for energy. It also goes a long way in helping with a caloric deficit and monitoring calorie intake. The important thing though is to keep your protein levels high as to maintain energy and muscle. It's definitely worth a try....it's not for everyone but if you can tough it out, you will see results!
  • tpt1950
    tpt1950 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    google_zps19e84a1c.gif
  • bshot1
    bshot1 Posts: 44
    Options
    I've been doing it around 6 months.

It's food timing and not really a diet. The benefit for me is the ability to eat two larger meals instead of trying to break my calories into 3+ meals. Also, I already tended to skip breakfast anyway.

The only discomfort I've had is waking up in the morning and not being able to eat until around noon. Rest of the day I'm pretty satiated.

There are other supposed benefits, but at the end of the day I get all my calories in and that's all that matters for me.