Not eating enough calories but eating tons

Options

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I've had the same issue. It was really rough all this week, because I caught a cold and just couldn't eat enough.

I did find a good way to get more healthy calories in quick, though: Put raw cashews, blueberries, and raw sunflower seeds in a baggy (weigh them out, or at least measure them, they're calorie dense little things!). Add salt to your taste preference. Delicious, nutritious, calorie rich. You can substitute raisins if you want to make a batch that lasts longer than the blueberries will keep.
    That sounds delicious!
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    From your diary, it doesn't appear that you are using a food scale. That is the first thing I would recommend you get. You MAY be eating more than you think, or maybe less. But that is the first thing to get a handle on before you start adding food, as you say you feel full and satisfied.
  • DanaDark
    DanaDark Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Your diary is rather confusing to me... 0.8 oz of almond milk as an example... half an apple.... Yesterday you ate 900 calories and HALF of that was from Lays Potato Chips and Reese's Peanut Butter Cups.

Depending on age, height, and current weight, 1100 calories may not be "too low" for someone looking to lose a little bit of weight, but without numbers specific to you, I couldn't tell you.

I can warn you though to be sure to weigh and measure everything accurately. As the old mantra goes, cheating only cheats yourself here.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    So I just put in todays food-I eat fresh fruits and on fridays I am running so I eat wraps for lunch and Dinner-my total intake will be under 1100 calories. I feel very full and satisfied-I am eating healthy foods so should I increase or just wait another week or two as I am very new to this site.
    Karen
    Eating volume isn't the same as eating density. Find some foods that are calorie dense and add them in.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sandryc
    sandryc Posts: 33
    Options
    Yeah, I had a cold this week and have been having the same problem. I am eating very healthy but have a really hard time eating enough food when I don't feel well.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Karen,

I just looked at your diary. I think you are underestimating calories in AND calories burned.

I question your 0.8 ounces for your almond milk (I think it was almond). That way less than even a quarter cut. Are you sure that is correct?

I suggest weighing your fruits. A half cup of sliced banana or a half apple is too generic It's a strong chance that the calorie content for said fruit is more more calories when measured out in grams than in a generic measurement. Take my banana I put on my oatmeal each morning. Here's an interesting history of banana weights from my own diary, wherein the generic is 100 calories

113 grams 101 calories
    125 grams 111 calories
    123 grams 109 calories
    76 grams 68 calories
    67 grams 60 calories
    153 grams 136 calories
    93 grams 83 calories
    146 grams 130 calories
    148 grams 132 calories
    105 grams 93 calories

That's fourteen days of banana, many of them appearing to be the same size, but not one single serving is the same. +/- those are big difference from the 110 calorie generic entry in the database.

I could go on with other foods, but the point is that our eyeballs and measuring cups/spoons tend to be a little selective at times. :smile:
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    4 blackberries...wow....

and that's "tons"....

Sorry but I am honestly in "awe"...
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    4 blackberries...wow....

and that's "tons"....

I LOVE blackberries, especially fresh picked. There is no way I could only eat four.. More like 40.
  • albayin
    Options
    4 blackberries...wow....

and that's "tons"....

I LOVE blackberries, especially fresh picked. There is no way I could only eat four.. More like 40.

I go by "container"....I know thats why I can't lose weight...but I really love blackberries, too~
  • albayin
    Options
    Yeah, I had a cold this week and have been having the same problem. I am eating very healthy but have a really hard time eating enough food when I don't feel well.

it's kinda normal that people can have less appetite when they are sick...but in day to day life, really? having said that, everybody has days that they just don't eat as much. it's normal, too
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Based on your food diary, you aren't using a food scale which means you are likely underestimating how many calories you are consuming each day.

My suggestion would be to purchase a food scale and weigh everything.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

it's kinda normal that people can have less appetite when they are sick...but in day to day life, really? having said that, everybody has days that they just don't eat as much. it's normal, too
    Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you run a lot and have very low body fat and low BMI and still eat at a deficit. Your hunger is probably much more urgent and constant than those of us who are overweight or obese burning body fat for fuel.
  • albayin
    Options

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't you run a lot and have very low body fat and low BMI and still eat at a deficit. Your hunger is probably much more urgent and constant than those of us who are overweight or obese burning body fat for fuel.

Oh dear....i know how much you care about me but please forget about what I say ok? :) and I don't see where OP said she's obese?
  • acorsaut89
    acorsaut89 Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    4 blackberries...wow....

and that's "tons"....

Which is exactly why I asked how she got to a state where she'd like to lose 57 lbs. If you're only eating what is claimed to be eaten then you either don't need to lose 57 lbs or you're grossly under estimating what you're actually eating and/or over estimating what you're burning.
  • skaffle
    skaffle Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone-began weighing and measuring and yes 4 black berries-and the honey was part of a recipe...

4 black berries were PART OF a recipe, not the entire recipe.

Pretending that she only ate 4 blackberries or drank less than 1 oz of almond milk for an entire meal is ridiculous.
    She is, most likely, adding individual items to her diary that are part of a shake or some other meal she is preparing and simply not being meticulous enough to record everyhting.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    4 blackberries...wow....

and that's "tons"....

I only eat four too...when thats all thats left on the bush :laugh:
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I would agree with the people who have recommended that buying a scale and measuring your food would be beneficial for you.

I've been surprised to see differences between the cup portion sizes and supposedly the equivalent gram weights on packaged foods. Or things like fish or chicken portion sizes. I've found that it can mean the difference of 50+ calories.

On the other hand, when I weigh frozen vegetable or fruit portions, I seem to be able to get more than the cup equivalent.

It's an eye opener.
    I agree with some others that you may well be eating a higher calorie count than you realize.

For myself, if I eat more fresh produce instead of something like an english muffin or cereal, I can't eat the same caloric value of food. The produce fills me up more. Same if I have a good portion of protein with each meal.

You'll find your way. Best wishes to you! :flowerforyou:
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do not eat unhealthy food that I don't want just so that I can eat up to a number. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I usually don't. Sometimes I'll eat something because I have to eat something, but in ever take in empty calories to reach a number.

There are different schools of thought on this. Ask your doctor and then make the decision that is right for YOU. :)

For me, it was true about counting the calories.

When I ate whatever I pleased and counted the calories, I was shocked by how many there were. Floored.

When I was eating healthy food and counted the calories, I was surprised again, by how few there were.

I really didn't think either time, that they be that different from what I guessed.
  • spamantha57
    spamantha57 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    When I start MFP a year &1/2 ago I was eating about 900 cals a day (also at my heaviest) & increased it by about 100cals every few weeks or so. Today I currently eat about 1,600/day & am losing the most weight - exercise is a big factor.

Last week when I was sick & lost my appetite, I used that opportunity to eat more good fats - avocados & nuts & nut butters & of course more cheese (I love cheese.) Had dried fruits more too. I was able to keep my calories at about 1,400/day doing this. I usually eat pretty healthy so I can stay fuller longer with less calories than most people. But as most people said - add more healthy fats:

- Avocados
    - nuts/ nut butters
    - olive oil / coconut oil
    - Omega 3's
  • Scarecrowsama
    Scarecrowsama Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I start MFP a year &1/2 ago I was eating about 900 cals a day (also at my heaviest) & increased it by about 100cals every few weeks or so. Today I currently eat about 1,600/day & am losing the most weight - exercise is a big factor.

Last week when I was sick & lost my appetite, I used that opportunity to eat more good fats - avocados & nuts & nut butters & of course more cheese (I love cheese.) Had dried fruits more too. I was able to keep my calories at about 1,400/day doing this. I usually eat pretty healthy so I can stay fuller longer with less calories than most people. But as most people said - add more healthy fats:

- Avocados
    - nuts/ nut butters
    - olive oil / coconut oil
    - Omega 3's

So are you saying that the thing that made you lose weight was increasing your calories and consuming more fat, some people would freak-out if they read this.