Increasing self-worth after years of bullying

Options
Hi everyone,

For those who have been bullied, like me, how did you go about repairing your self-worth in your adulthood? This is something I really struggle with in terms of relationships with the opposite sex (i.e., feeling worthy of a relationship/happiness, feeling "good enough" for your partner).

Thanks in advance for your input!

Replies

• Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Sadly new studies coming out show bullying can impact a person's entire life. It certainly has mine. I don't know how to answer your question, except to say that I absolutely will not tolerate being bullied by anyone. I'll walk out of the situation and the job, relationship, or social situation be damned.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't expect it to not impact me at all, but certainly there are ways to improve the situation. I also don't tolerate ANY bullying whatsoever anymore, and good for you!
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    Honestly, just finding happiness for myself worked for me - part of that road was taking the step to get some counseling in my adult life. If you haven't, consider it :flowerforyou:
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Therapy.
  • megnay
    megnay Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I actually just started seeing someone but only have my second appointment today. I'm kind of headstrong, so I'm a bit wary about one person giving me advice can do... But I guess therapy is more than just giving advice, haha.
  • KCoolBeanz
    KCoolBeanz Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    I actually just started seeing someone but only have my second appointment today. I'm kind of headstrong, so I'm a bit wary about one person giving me advice can do... But I guess therapy is more than just giving advice, haha.

A good therapist/counselor will not give you advice, but pick your brain and get you thinking along a different line than you have been, so essentially you are doing the work yourself without realizing it - they help you see things differently.