High protein snacks without a speck of sugar please

Options
Greetings, I searched this topic and found some info but would like to ask again to see if there is a more comprehensive list of options. I am eating more fat than I should and not nearly enough protein, and I would like to adjust that.

I would like your suggestions on portable, no-to-very-low-prep high protein snacks that are COMPLETELY DEVOID of sugar. I frankly hate the taste of sweet in my savory food. I am fine with sugar in its place (I will eat dessert and will eat fruit) but seriously, even a molecule of sugar in my jerky kills it for me. Blech.

So, with that constraint, can anyone suggest what else besides hard boiled egg whites, cottage cheese and almonds would work? I have not eaten any protein bars nor used any protein powders yet. Are there any that have zero sugar (and no artificial sweetener because it is the sweet taste I dislike so very much)?

I am not concerned with sodium content, but not overly high would be a bonus.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Replies

• IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Chicken.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    no-to-very-low-prep high protein snacks that are COMPLETELY DEVOID of sugar.

Boiled chicken breast.

Recipe:
    Boil Water
    Add Chicken breast
    Boil for 15 minutes
    Remove from water and chill.

Boiled beef strips.
    Recipe:
    Boil Water
    Add Beef Strips
    Boil for 15 minutes
    Remove from water and chill.

I'd say though, you'd probably go batty, you'd want something more flavorful.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Chia seeds.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    High protein/no sugar? Meat.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    You know that almonds have about a gram of sugar in an ounce, right? And, a cup of lowfat cottage cheese has about 6 grams of sugar. Heck... even an egg has a couple grams of sugar.
  • 1948sixty
    1948sixty Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    tuna with a bit of mayonnaise
    snap peas and red pepper hummus
    mozzarella cheesestick
    low carb greek yogurt
  • krogers810x
    krogers810x Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I like ricotta cheese on toast, with a little olive oil, or some quinoa with a little chili sauce or some garlic.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    nice, but ricotta is chock filled with lactose.

Lactose, like all -oses, is sugar.
  • Janlo26
    Janlo26 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    As OP have said, meat has great protein w/o sugar. To make chicken more appetizing, poach chicken in a little highly flavoured stock, cool it in the stock, then drain and shred. (Use the stock for soup.) You can keep this on hand in the fridge or freeze portions.

Of course there's also fish, if you like it. Canned tuna and salmon can be ok if mixed with seasonings and, frankly, a little fat (i.e. mayo) to carry the flavours. I mix up a can of low sodium tuna salad a couple times a week. It keeps in the fridge for a few days.

All the best!
  • aylajane
    aylajane Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Invisiwhey. Just plain old whey protein with absolutely nothing else. 10g protein per serving, 40 calories per serving (protein is 4 cal per gram).

Add it to whatever smoothie you make, soup, mashed potatoes, whatever.
  • Mangopickle
    Mangopickle Posts: 1,509 Member
    Options
    ham egg cups
    tuna, chicken, salmon, egg salad made with greek yogurt
    scotch eggs
    smoked chicken wings
    bacon
  • panchakshara
    panchakshara Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You can mix greek yogurt with avocado, lime, salt, garlic and tomatoes to make a guacamole of sorts. It'll be high in fat because of the avocado though
  • 43mmmgoody21
    43mmmgoody21 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    what's the issue with sugar-- it's yummy!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    A big pile of meat?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Sardines. Or just roast some chicken or turkey in advance and pull off pieces for snacks. If that's too much prep buy a whole roasted chicken and do the same. I'm sure you can find one without sugar--most, probably.

Oh, forgot about the fat bit. Bake some chicken breast in advance then, if there's too much fat in the other options.
  • xraymdabm
    xraymdabm Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for such great suggestions! I understand some foods have sugar in them naturally and I will still consider eating them for snacks (almonds, for instance, and some fruit). But I really have been working hard to come up with portable, easy to prepare high protein options like protein bars or powders or shakes that do not have any extra added sugar nor artificial sweetener. And the only reason I have wanted to keep to lower fat high protein options is due to eating more fat than I should overall.

I will use the recommendations provided here with gratitude. If there are any others, please continue to add to the list.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Canned tuna?
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    mark-hix-pork-cracklings-43.jpg
  • Kate7294
    Kate7294 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Baked/toasted some whole wheat pitas last night...ate with guacamole I made with a seasoning pack and humus. Though both were slightly higher in fat, the guacamole is very high in natural fiber. Mmm.
    Though yes I've been searching for healthy snacks myself. Thinking about dehydrating some chips.....seen these made from sweet potato,apple, and kale ( yuck) LOL