Can you get abs from only cardio?

Options
Exactly this. I'm currently at 178 lbs, my goal is 134. Would I get abs at that weight by doing only cardio. I'm a 5'5 male if that matters.

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    You already HAVE abs. If you didn't your guts would be right underneath your skin. Whether you want to build them up or lose fat, either one, if you actually want them to show, is up to you, but they are there.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    Exactly this. I'm currently at 178 lbs, my goal is 134. Would I get abs at that weight by doing only cardio. I'm a 5'5 male if that matters.

Sure or not. Since, you have them already and just need to lose fat to show them. Depends on bodyfat %, instead of weight.

More plate pushbacks bro.
  • PennyVonDread
    PennyVonDread Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I recommend at least incorporating strength training of some sort into your routine. Short answer, yes, you will see your abs with only steady cardio. What you're talking about is less a matter of weight loss per se, but a focus on reducing overall body fat percentage. Abs are made in the kitchen, they say. But it won't benefit the cause if you don't preserve muscle, and just 15 minutes of strength training can boost the metabolism and aid fat burning for hours after the workout. I definitely prefer cardio, and firmly believe the only"best" workout is the one you'll actually do. If you can only commit to cardio, it'll work over time, but watch your protein intake to help ensure your weight loss is fat loss, not muscle.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Options
    ...and just 15 minutes of strength training can boost the metabolism and aid fat burning for hours after the workout.

Not supported by science. Unless you know of recent research that has made this claim accurate?
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    To answer your question... you can get them with only cardio... but it may take longer.

But... I want to mention something else.....

Let me first make the disclaimer that I have never had ABs and that is what I want eventually.

Well... doing the numbers backwards. And I will make a lot of assumptions here.
    Your goal is 134 lbs (You have been there before I bet)
    What I have been reading on here and bodybuilding sites is that Abs really start showing up between 10% and 12% bodyfat.
    Let's say that at 134 lbs you achieve 10% bodyfat.
    That means that your lead body mass is about 120 lbs (134 lbs - 10% or 134 lbs x .9)
    Then if we go back and you are at 178 that means that you are 30%+ bf fat right now... is that accurate?
    Sounds a bit high.

Now let's assume that you are at 25% bf now at 178 lbs
    That means that your Lean Body Mass is about about 135 lbs (I rounded)
    That means to achieve 10% bodyfat you would need to get to 150 lbs.

The reason I got into this is that I am working the same things myself. I am 190 and about 30% bodyfat - This means to get to 10% bodyfat I would need to be around 150 lbs too because my Lean body mass (LBM) is 133 lbs.

A lot of it is genetics and a lot of people say to do core exercises now so that there will be more muscle to show.

Plus... everyone here (and on body building sites) have different definitions of what " Abs " mean. To some it is a full chisled 6-8 pack and some it is just the first two rows and a line.

'

I know that I have a long way to go!
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    <<< yep
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Depends on whether the cardio you do is likely to help reduce your bodyfat percentage.
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    If you want tiny Justin Beiber abs then yes, just lower your body fat until you see them. You want them popping out, it's like any other muscle, you need to hit them with weights and have them grow.
  • lelyke
    lelyke Posts: 47
    Options
    My BF is 29%, so yes it is quite high. I was actually at 145 2 years ago until I just let myself go and I didn't have abs then.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Running, rowing, cycling, swimming are all forms of CV work that'll help.

Elliptical and recumbent, not so much.