Have you had success losing weight while on birth control?

Options

Replies

• Tinamac1
    Tinamac1 Posts: 39
    Options
    I am on Depo and I haven't gained any from it like everyone said I would and I have had no problem losing. Usually if you gain weight or have trouble losing weight while on a birth control it is because it can change ones appetite, then they don't realize they are eating more then they normally would be. You should be able to lose as if you were not on anything. If you don't seem to be able to ask your doctor because you could be taking a pill that has more or less hormones then you need. I did have that trouble last year and had to change a few times until I got on Depo.

Good luck!
  • ChristineRoze
    ChristineRoze Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Been on birth control pills for about 7 years, all different types and the only time i gain weight is when i am eating badly :P , lose weight perfectly fine.
  • medicablasto
    medicablasto Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hey you! actually you can only blame 2 kg to the pill wich is mostly wáter weight that you´ll redistribute later sooo... keep logging and you should be fine!!!

source...i´m a doctor, some book I read jajajj
  • kiesha22001
    kiesha22001 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I had the Mirena for a few years and didn't have any issues.
  • robertf57
    robertf57 Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    Birth cntrol has never caused any problems for me ;-)
  • mebepiglet123
    mebepiglet123 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I reckon Its an excuse used by over eating females ....birth control is used by all females. Some just pig out more than others... I blame my eating habits not the type of Birth control I use.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I've heard a lot of horror stories about attempting to lose weight while on hormonal birth control. I'm on Trinessa myself, and it's too early to determine how it affects my weight loss because I only recently started to try to lose weight. For those of you on birth control, how has it affected you (if at all)?
    I've gained weight. lost weight, and maintained weight while on birth control.

It all depended on if I was eating at a surplus, deficit, or at maintenance.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I lost ALL my weight while on birth control (Norethindrone, the "minipill"), so I guess you could say I've had success. :wink:
  • stephmorinn
    stephmorinn Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I lost ALL my weight while on birth control (Norethindrone, the "minipill"), so I guess you could say I've had success. :wink:

Really? That is what I just stopped taking, gained 30lbs in 5 months taking it.
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In because I really, really want to go on the pill (of all the times to get pregnant, being barely-employed and trying to have my best body ever is NOT one of them haha), but I'm really, really worried about weight gain. Now, I quit smoking in March (which is a big source of gains for a lot of people) and have been losing steadily since, but that's more self-control than anything - I was not going to allow myself to gain, basically :tongue: - that self-control won't go away if I take the pill, but there is the whole hormonal component, which worries me. So, following this thread to see everyone's experience.

Edit: Did anyone go on the pill DURING a weight loss journey? A lot of you seemed to have been on it already, or switched kinds, or whatever. I'm 25 and have never been on it. (And it would have to be the pill, I definitely can't afford an IUD or any other method right now)
  • SantanaHice
    SantanaHice Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Been on the pill for probably 8 years. Never had a problem. I'm on it now and having no problem losing weight. It may make you retain a little water but that's it. Diet and Exercise, that's the key!
  • DecemberPsalm
    DecemberPsalm Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    No issues at all....thank god, lol.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    In because I really, really want to go on the pill (of all the times to get pregnant, being barely-employed and trying to have my best body ever is NOT one of them haha), but I'm really, really worried about weight gain.

I'm going to be brutally honest: being worried about weight gain (when there is absolutely no evidence to prove that the pill causes weight gain) to the point of not wanting to get on the pill even though you acknowledge pregnancy is a risk and one you absolutely cannot afford to have right now is bloody STUPID.

What would you rather, may I ask: a few extra kilograms gained, or a baby?

I lost ten kilograms not long after starting the pill. That was six years ago. I gained it all back and then some: but only because I was eating badly and not exercising and being generally lazy. That was the ONLY reason I gained all that weight. I am STILL on the pill and now I am losing again. Wild horses couldn't drag me away from the pill, and I don't even take it for contraception; I take it because without it I'm an agonised useless wreck for five days every month who can barely get out of bed, let alone go to work or be an otherwise productive member of society.
  • heybebe88
    heybebe88 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been on and off the pill for 6+ years now. When I first went on it, I gained a lot of weight - but it was also freshman year of college, soooooo who knows what's to blame! I went off the pill and started trying to lose weight around the same time. I lost about 10 pounds, went back on the pill (a different one), and lost another 15.

I think a big part of it is finding a pill that works for you. Both Yaz and Ortho Tri Cyclen made me extremely moody, and I am definitely an emotional eater. I don't think it's so much the pill itself but lack of self control affected by things (such as emotional changes) caused by the pill. I have been on Lo Loestrin for about 3 years now and I swear it's a miracle drug - my periods are next to nothing, no mood swings / barely any PMS symptoms, and no problem at all keeping the weight off. But, like I said, you just have to find what works for you. There might be some bad times experimenting with various types (you have to be on them for a few months to really notice the effects / balance out), but just look at it as part of your journey! It's so worth it!
  • _shannon92
    _shannon92 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been on birth control for 4 years and I've lost 40 pounds in the past year! :)
  • littlefoot612
    littlefoot612 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I have been on b/c since 1976... pills (various), Depo, and have had Mirena for 6 or 7 years now. I have both gained weight, by eating too much and binging, and have lost weight, through WW, portion control and now with help here, throughout that time and the type of b/c I was on at the time made no difference..
  • Knittinger
    Knittinger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    OP, I think that for most women who gain weight on the pill it is due to hormonal changes that affect appetite, so women who have never had an issue with their weight are suddenly gaining because they have gone there entire lives eating only when they are hungry and stopping when they are full. Then when the pill changes their hormone levels and their appetite increases they continue to eat when they are hungry and don't stop till they are full without realizing that they are consuming far more calories than they had been previously.. Since you are on MFP, you are (I assume) already monitoring your caloric intake and should therefore be able to avoid any weight gain. Hope this helps!
  • pipertargaryen
    pipertargaryen Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    In because I really, really want to go on the pill (of all the times to get pregnant, being barely-employed and trying to have my best body ever is NOT one of them haha), but I'm really, really worried about weight gain.

I'm going to be brutally honest: being worried about weight gain (when there is absolutely no evidence to prove that the pill causes weight gain) to the point of not wanting to get on the pill even though you acknowledge pregnancy is a risk and one you absolutely cannot afford to have right now is bloody STUPID.

First of all what you said about your period: I'm the same way. Its awful. No fun, but much better than having a baby. Second of all: when I get to a doctor, I will be going on the pill regardless. The last word I'd ever in a million years to use to describe myself is 'stupid' (I'd put a bunch of negative adjectives that apply to me in to the mix - 'stupid' is not one) - I just want to know if anyone who has started the pill while losing weight has experienced a gain, despite keeping their habits as-is. I will deal with it if that's the case and be prepared to adjust my regimen accordingly.

I'm 25 and where I live, most people already have 2 kids by this age. I'm like a mystical unicorn for not having children already :laugh: - because we use several forms of BC. I've just never tried the hormonal stuff for financial reasons and want to know what I'm in for.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm on birth control (Nuva Ring) and medications that have weight gain side effects. I've had no problems with losing weight while on birth control or on my other medications. Sure it takes longer but I've had not problems with it.

You just have to find what works for you.
  • mysmileighs
    mysmileighs Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    OP, I think that for most women who gain weight on the pill it is due to hormonal changes that affect appetite, so women who have never had an issue with their weight are suddenly gaining because they have gone there entire lives eating only when they are hungry and stopping when they are full. Then when the pill changes their hormone levels and their appetite increases they continue to eat when they are hungry and don't stop till they are full without realizing that they are consuming far more calories than they had been previously.. Since you are on MFP, you are (I assume) already monitoring your caloric intake and should therefore be able to avoid any weight gain. Hope this helps!

I agree. Same thing happened to me. Went on the pill at 19. I didn't do my research properly to find out that one of the side effects was increased appetite. Never really had to pay attention to what went in, I was crazy active. I gained about 25 pounds in less than 2 months. Hormones were going a little crazy and I just wasn't paying attention.

I'm on Yaz now (and have been for a few years) and coupled with the fact that I'm more cognizant of what I'm feeling/eating, I am able to lose weight.

I think it's part hormones, part paying attention. I would keep a close eye on it, but it sounds like you're on the right track by talking to your doctor about it.