Why are so many agains low calorie and VLC dieting?

Options
15678911»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I wonder how much of this "need" to eat so few calories to see weight loss is the result of long-term undereating and adaptive thermogenesis.

I also wonder how often people assume their threshold is lower because they tried eating a little more for too short of a period of time and misinterpreted the temporary increase in weight when increasing calories (because glycogen restoration and other factors) as evidence.

ETA: My own n=1, my calculated TDEE continues to increase slowly as I continue to increase my calories. I suspect with consistent effort the other direction (say, if I increased the duration of my cutting cycles and decreased the duration of my bulking cycles), I would see my TDEE decrease slowly.

I think long-term undereating usually results in low body fat, which is not what those of us here on the Weight Loss forum eating at deficits are trying to combat. Adaptive thermogenesis happens to everyone at a deficit, to some extent.

I think people usually think their TDEE is low because it is, because they're female and/or shorter and/or older and/or not obese, not because they eat more one week or lift one week and see a gain. Though there may be a few in that category, too. I think most of us have been at this long enough to know. A lot of people have been wearing Fitbits for years, too. That actually shows the main part of adaptive thermogenesis-- decrease in activity. So it can be combatted.

Well, my own N = 1 study: my need to eat at a relatively low amount (1460) to lose weight was not based on any long term under eating at all - I don't think I ever under ate, certainly not in the last 20 years or so - in fact I made no serious attempts to lose weight at all in that time and for most of my life was not over weight.
    But gradually I ate more and probably moved less and my weight crept up (middle aged spread, it used to be called :tongue:) until I was 10 kg over weight and joined MFP and calorie counted to 1460 net amount and got to where I am today.

So, yes, I thought my TDEE was low, because it was - I am in the reasonably large category of older, shortish, not super active women and I don't think my numbers were low because of any miscalculations or misunderstandings - I think they were low because I fit into the category of people for whom that low is the right number.

1460 net as a deficit sounds reasonable to me given your stats.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Yes jofjltn, and results bore that out. :smile:

My point was really that people (using Me as an example) saying a low number is right for them aren't always confused or victims of adaptive thermogenesis from chronic under eating or having unrealistic expectations or beginning lifters or anything else.

1460 was right for me - I don't think it is unfeasible that 1200 would be right for someone 10 years older than me, 4 inches shorter and having a sedentary job.
    a 60 year old 5 foot tall office worker is not an extreme outlier of the population -ie that number would be right for such a person - and such a person is not that uncommon.

There was recently a thread where OP said LISTEN EVERYBODY, 1200 IS NEVER OKAY!!!!! and to me that is just as wrong as someone saying "I am a 6 ft tall 20 year old male bricklayer, should I set my calories at 1200?"
  • 59gi
    59gi Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Agree with you 100%!
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

My point was really that people (using Me as an example) saying a low number is right for them aren't always confused or victims of adaptive thermogenesis from chronic under eating or having unrealistic expectations or beginning lifters or anything else.

1460 was right for me - I don't think it is unfeasible that 1200 would be right for someone 10 years older than me, 4 inches shorter and having a sedentary job.
    a 60 year old 5 foot tall office worker is not an extreme outlier of the population -ie that number would be right for such a person - and such a person is not that uncommon.

There was recently a thread where OP said LISTEN EVERYBODY, 1200 IS NEVER OKAY!!!!! and to me that is just as wrong as someone saying "I am a 6 ft tall 20 year old male bricklayer, should I set my calories at 1200?"

Yeah, I don't disagree...(and if you look through my posts, you'll never find me saying those things). You will, however, find me dissuading people from immediately starting at 1200...and against the dozens of people who immediately jump in to argue that starting there is a great idea...ideal, even.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    yes I agree jofjltn - I am first to defend 1200 or not much more as being right for SOME people - the sort already described in above posts - but by no means do I think it is right for everyone.

Gosh this thread is getting boring - posters all agreeing with each other - whatever next? :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    yes I agree jofjltn - I am first to defend 1200 or not much more as being right for SOME people - the sort already described in above posts - but by no means do I think it is right for everyone.

Gosh this thread is getting boring - posters all agreeing with each other - whatever next? :laugh:

Seriously.

*sigh*

So anyhow, juicing is stupid. Doesn't remove any toxins.

...and, um...

Most people aren't mean in the forums...and when they are, even the so-called "mean" people call them out on it.

...and...

...uh...

...I guess that's all I have for now.

:indifferent:
  • mmenuey27
    mmenuey27 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I agree with your post, and wanted to say excellent job on the weightloss. I hope to be saying the same next year. I have 115 pounds to lose, and I know that it will take time, dedicaion, and patience. I once was suggested to base my calories on a weekly average. So if you want to eat 1500 a day then make that be the average. If you eat a little over one day then try to eat less the next. I was told I could eat 1500 calories a day and loose about 2 pounds a week to begin with without exercise.
  • parkparksarah
    Options
    lol the gifs in here XD
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with all your points. And the short sedentary older person is common enough for it to be a logical floor for MFP. however, it's a sad starting point for most of the people who do. I'd argue that a better beginning would be to track current intake for a couple weeks. I haven't created a paradigm shifting weightloss website.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

I absolutely agree with all your points. And the short sedentary older person is common enough for it to be a logical floor for MFP. however, it's a sad starting point for most of the people who do. I'd argue that a better beginning would be to track current intake for a couple weeks. I haven't created a paradigm shifting weightloss website.

This is actually what I wish people had to do first, just accurately track your intake and weight fluctuation for one month, no lifestyle changes, no added activity, just you doing your normal thing for one month, THEN make the adjustments you'll need to get the calorie deficit necessary for the speed of weight loss recommended for your current stats. This of course will NEVER happen, but gosh wouldn't it be wonderful and make everything here so much less dramatic.
  • aedreana
    aedreana Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    So logical. Love it.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    This is actually what I wish people had to do first, just accurately track your intake and weight fluctuation for one month, no lifestyle changes, no added activity, just you doing your normal thing for one month, THEN make the adjustments you'll need to get the calorie deficit necessary for the speed of weight loss recommended for your current stats. This of course will NEVER happen, but gosh wouldn't it be wonderful and make everything here so much less dramatic.
    I think people love drama.

What I find fascinating about weight loss, actually, is that the calorie deficit needed for losing weight is smaller than a calorie deficit that makes you hungry. If you add time to the equation. But many people don't want to spend time doing things that aren't fun. I think dieting is fun, but that's probably because I'm strange. :tongue:
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options
    I think people love drama.

What I find fascinating about weight loss, actually, is that the calorie deficit needed for losing weight is smaller than a calorie deficit that makes you hungry. If you add time to the equation. But many people don't want to spend time doing things that aren't fun. I think dieting is fun, but that's probably because I'm strange. :tongue:

I'll take snail paced weight loss over feeling hungry ANY day. I added running in three weeks ago and my weight loss has stalled, probably from the change, but if it turns out next month that I'm really just at maintenance, meh, probably just going to focus on recomp because I'd rather go even slower than have to cut more food just to drop six more pounds on the scale, and I'm averaging 2500-2600 calories a day so I'm hardly limiting my food intake as it is!
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Most people would never track for a month to get a baseline. Most won't even track well enough for one month WHILE dieting to be able to estimate a TDEE. They want software to tell it to them instead. I understand that math is hard for many people, though. I think a lot of plans don't require counting (or much of it) because of that.

Sometimes food logging, I wonder how people figure out the correct way to convert and all the math challenges or if they just pick something and figure 'close enough'. Not that that can't work, too.

It would be cool if MFP found a way to have like peer logging. You're a lot more accurate when it's not your own night's intake you're crowding out, I think! :laugh:
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    It would be cool if MFP found a way to have like peer logging. You're a lot more accurate when it's not your own night's intake you're crowding out, I think! :laugh:
    I think I like that! :blushing:
  • paperpudding
    Options

Please explain what a 'paradigm shifting weightloss website' is? :indifferent: