Tricks To Cut Calories, Gain Better Nutrition

Options
Over the years I have cut back on certain foods or ways of eating to curb what I eat. What tricks do you use?

Here are a few that I have tried and they have worked.

1. Stop eating leftovers from my children's plate.

2. NO, catsup with French fries (chips).

3. If, I buy a fast food burger, I only have the small burger, no fries and water or unsweetened tea.

4. I taught my daughter to make my favorite cookie, "Chocolate Chip". I would bake cookies and eat 2-3 dozen while baking. No longer. My daughter bakes them and I have her divide them evenly between the family. Everyone takes their portion to their room. I can enjoy the cookies whenever my daughter is in the mood, which is about every 6-8 weeks. I don't even go into the kitchen. I wait for her to bring me my portion.

5. I substitute more days of Ranch Dressing on my salad for a splash of balsamic vinegar.

6. I line a baking sheet with parchment paper and bake my eggs. They have a nice flavor and I didn't have to use butter (or fat or your choice).

7. If I buy sweet treats from the store because of an impulsive purchase, I divide the treats equally between family members. Otherwise I would eat the whole package. Most of the time I can resist buying sweet treats.

8. There was a period of about a year that I would buy a variety of bite size candy bars and mix them and empty into a tin. I said it was just for us "girls". I found I was eating more than the one a day that I said I would eat. I have a check up twice a year with my doctor. The candy was telling the tale on my lab numbers. I stopped buying the candy.

9. I switched from iceberg lettuce to Romaine lettuce. It cost about the same, sometimes a little more, but it's packed with more nutrition than iceberg.
http://www.healthaliciousness.com/nutritionfacts/nutrition-comparison.php?o=11251&t=11252&h=102&e=100&r=

10. I switched from salted butter to unsalted butter.

11. I roast my fresh vegetables and frozen too. I've roasted green beans, yellow squash, parsnips, radishes, asparagus, carrots, zucchini, onions, beets (I scrub them clean with a brush and leave the peeling on them), mushrooms...and the list goes on. Roasting vegetables them gives them a richer flavor and they taste more satisfying.

12. Milk is one of my favorite things. I keep myself from drinking it because I know I can drink a gallon a day. I certainly don't need all those calories and fat. I switched to skim milk, but was hesitant about drinking it. I had a habit of "saving" milk for my family so there would be enough. I was buying as much as 12 gallons a month. My grown daughter and son in law love milk too. They are living with me while saving to build a home. So, what I've done is cut down on the amount of milk I buy (the grown ones can buy all the milk they want!), and since coming to MFP I have between 8-16 oz a day with one of my meals or with a snack. It keeps my craving for binge drinking a half gallon at a time, and helps with my sweet tooth.

13. I do not eat store bought/canned soup. It is too high in sodium, even the low-sodium is too high in sodium. It's not to say I never buy it, but 3-4 times a year I buy cream of mushroom for casseroles. I like to make my own soup at home.

14. I have high blood pressure which is controlled by medicine. I have learned to cut down on the salt. It was hard at first, but I've made great strides. I use "No-Salt, Costco's 21 Organic-Seasoning (no salt), lots of spices & herbs, and use mineral salt sparingly. I try to limit my sodium intake to 1500 mg a day, and most times never go over 2300 mg. There are occasion when I do, but I get right back on the right track my next meal. By reducing the sodium intake my ankles don't swell as much.

15. My grocery trips have changed too. I do m best to stay out of the center aisles of the store and only shop the perimeter of the store which keeps me away from packaged, boxed and canned foods.

16. I buy no-salt canned tomatoes for sauces or soups.

17. I sure would love a piece of cake right now. But, I don't want to go to the freezer and take out a piece to let it thaw. Out of sight, out of mind. I bake a cake, cut it into portions, wrap each piece individually, and put all the pieces into a freezer bag. It has saved me from eating most of the cake within a 2 day period.

18. Never add sugar to cereal or oatmeal.

19. I love my coffee black. No need for those calories from cream or sugar to get in the way.

20. There is just nothing better for me than to have English muffins with grated Mexican cheese added to the top and let it get golden brown in the oven. I really love them for breakfast, I could eat them everyday! Since coming back to MFP I haven't had any. I will add them to one of my breakfast menus, but will only have a half.

21. Last night I added 1 teaspoon of EVOO (olive oil) to my baked sweet potato, along with 1 teaspoon of cinnamon. Of course, I would have liked about 2 tablespoons of salted butter, but found that the sweet potato tasted just as wonderful as with all that butter.

22. God rest his soul, my husband loved chips, ice cream and a fair amount of pickles. Since his death, I rarely buy them. Whereas, I bought dill pickles for the hamburgers we had a least once a week if not twice a week, I bought them at least once a month. Now, a jar will last 7-8 months. I was raised "snack less". The exceptions for our young little bodies was an apple or peanut butter and jelly sandwich before dinner, or maybe twice a week homemade popcorn in the evening after dinner. The first shopping trip after we were married, I didn't buy any chips or soft drinks. My husband told me I needed to buy them every week. Even after 26 years of marriage it was a hard habit for me to get into. So, good habits for our children are important.

23. Recently I took my sister to a middle eastern restaurant for a birthday dinner. I ordered a salad. I questioned what was on the salad. To my surprise it was ground sesame seeds and thyme. It added a nice flavor and come to find out some helpful nutritional things as well. On my next trip to the grocery store I will buy some sesame seeds. The other ingredients that I have on hand are flax seed, parsley and thyme. I will grind these 4 ingredients together to add to salads and anything else. Check for nutritional values of spices, nuts, and seeds to see how you can add more nutrition to your diet.

If you've read this far, thank you for reading my post. Please add your ideas.I would love to try them.

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you have found a lot of tricks that work for you.

Cant say I would be bothered by which sort of lettuce is more nutritious than the other - but whatever works for you. :flowerforyou:
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    I eat at a calorie deficit.

I weigh/measure/log all my foods.

I eat foods I like (within my calories) and meet my macros.

I lift and run.

I have patience.

That's about it.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    How on Earth did you have any cookies left if you ate 2-3 dozen while baking?! I don't even think Furious Pete could do that.
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options

I lift and run.

I have patience.

That's about it.

QFT.. that's a lot of restrictions you have on yourself OP. The only thing I try not to do is buy chips often because it's really easy for me to eat a whole large bag in a few days. I make popcorn instead and that works for me. Everything else.. just weigh and log..
  • Water_Gal
    Water_Gal Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I cut out all the empty and unnecessary calorie foods such as soda, chips, butter and sugar. Nothing fried. Baked goods and bread are a rare treat. Ditto for cheese and cream. It turns out that i dont really miss them, either. I probably save 500 calories a day with just these simple tricks, I save the other 500 cals that makes my 1000 cal deficit by controlling my portions.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    How on Earth did you have any cookies left if you ate 2-3 dozen while baking?! I don't even think Furious Pete could do that.

I could, and did. My chocolate chip cookie recipe makes 5 dozen. After eating a lot of dough and "sampling" cookies as each dozen baked, I usually ended up with 2-3 dozen cookies. Which I would eat over the course of the next 24 hours.

The struggle is real.

:bigsmile:
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I could, and did. My chocolate chip cookie recipe makes 5 dozen. After eating a lot of dough and "sampling" cookies as each dozen baked, I usually ended up with 2-3 dozen cookies. Which I would eat over the course of the next 24 hours.

The struggle is real.

:bigsmile:

Maybe I'm just terrible at portioning. My recipe would say "makes 4 dozen" and I could never get more than 20 out of it. And I can count!
  • HelenCDavis
    HelenCDavis Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Sonic, The answer is simple, double batches!
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    I'm stumped by the "NO, catsup with French fries (chips)." Why?? To save 20cal per tbsp?? It would make more sense to skip the fries and just eat the catsup.:huh:
  • HelenCDavis
    Options
    I never even thought of them as restrictions! I've done these over a period of 20+ years. There are exceptions such as eating catsup with fries sometimes, drinking a quart of milk now and then. But, doing it all the time would add up. Thank you for using the word "restrictions". I'll rethink them, except the milk. If I drank a gallon of milk everyday like I want to, I fear I would be the size of the cow from which it came!
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    No sugar in oatmeal? Why? Does that include stevia? Because I can't tolerate oatmeal without a packet. :/ A zero calorie sweetener shouldn't be something to avoid.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Thank you for sharing your tricks!

Every time I tried to lose weight in the past, and sometimes I was successful, had so many restrictions that it made my head spin. Last year when I decided to take off the 33 pounds I had gained, I made these changes:

-Researched this forum and other sources to find out what people did to lose weight and keep it off.
    -Made a conscious choice to lose weight eating the foods I love and I know I want to eat for the rest of my life.
    -I started following those people around the forums and reading what they had to say.
    -I started logging every single bite that went in my mouth and all of my exercise calories
    -I learned that my logging was not accurate when it came to both calories in/calories out
    -I bought a food scale
    -I bought a heart rate monitor
    -Starting getting rid of the substituted foods and went back to real food
    -Log every day and ensure I am using correct entires in order to stay within my calorie deficit at least 95% of the time.

And, here I am over one year later and 44 pounds less and keeping it off by eating real foods that I know I can eat in moderation for the rest of my life.
    -
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    No sugar in oatmeal? Why? Does that include stevia? Because I can't tolerate oatmeal without a packet. :/ A zero calorie sweetener shouldn't be something to avoid.
    That's funny you should say this, because i have no sugar on my oatmeal. Not because I'm against it but because since I was a kid I've never liked sugar on oatmeal or cereal.

I have a banana and other fruit, so that does sweeten my oatmeal, but I have been known to have a few grams of brown sugar on my oatmeal from time to time.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I never even thought of them as restrictions! I've done these over a period of 20+ years. There are exceptions such as eating catsup with fries sometimes, drinking a quart of milk now and then. But, doing it all the time would add up. Thank you for using the word "restrictions". I'll rethink them, except the milk. If I drank a gallon of milk everyday like I want to, I fear I would be the size of the cow from which it came!
    Well, for you perhaps they are not restrictions, but for others they might be. :smile:
  • watto1980
    watto1980 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I laughed at no.1 and no.4.

My tip is, drink lots of water!
  • HelenCDavis
    Options
    Calliope610, Congratulations on your 53 pound weight loss!!

Nothing wrong with catsup, but one tablespoon was never enough for me. I would eat about 5 tablespoons. As an example I'll use Heinz Ketsup 1 tablespoon as a serving.

Sodium 190 mg per serving x 5 servings = 950 mg sodium. I have high blood pressure so I need to lower my sodium intake to about 1500 mg as recommended by my doctor. I'd rather have food than a condiment. 950 mg is over half of my daily allowance of 1500 mg.

During the last 12 months I've probably made homemade French fries about 3 times. I save a small portion for myself without salt and let the family have the rest.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options

I lift and run.

I have patience.

That's about it.

This is the most efficient and easy.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I'm stumped by the "NO, catsup with French fries (chips)." Why?? To save 20cal per tbsp?? It would make more sense to skip the fries and just eat the catsup.:huh:
    Haha I actually switched TO catsup (from gravy) Yes I know gravy's fine if it fits your cals. but I guarantee I'd go over because most of my cals would be used up & I'd be hangry
  • segovm
    segovm Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I exercise more than I can eat.

I went for an eight hour bike ride today so that only leaves eight more hours to shove food in my face.

My plan works pretty well until winter comes along or I get a job and then I am SOL I think.
  • HelenCDavis
    Options
    lemonsnowdrop,

If I'm going to eat sugar I'd rather have it in something I enjoy such as a homemade cup of hot chocolate drink, or the sugar from fruit. I eat oatmeal for breakfast sometimes, but I am not excited about eating it. I do add 1 teaspoon of cinnamon, and add some frozen blueberries at the end of the cooking. Once I added an egg at the end of the cooking time, covered the pot for 5 minutes and the egg was done. I was being lazy that day because I didn't want to dirty up another pan!

I want my calories to count, so I avoid things and have balsamic vinegar instead of salad dressings, mustard instead of mayo. Oh, I'm no saint, and there will be times that I say forget it I WANT it and go for it. But, if I'm going to watch what I eat, I'll make my best effort. This past Monday night I ate at my sisters. Monday nights she cooks dinner and the youngest daughter and I go to her house to eat dinner and watch TV together. I eat what she prepares, I don't measure it or fuss about. I'm hoping that as I go forward with this calorie counting at MFP, I will soon change the amount of my portions I eat at her house to the ones I'm eating at home.