i started running but

Options
i am finding it hard to find something where i can store water and run i cant run with a water bottle attach to my hand at all times
my client told me i could find a water bottle that can be attached to my wrist but i cant seem to find any like that

Replies

• ashenriver
    ashenriver Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    i am finding it hard to find something where i can store water and run i cant run with a water bottle attach to my hand at all times
    my client told me i could find a water bottle that can be attached to my wrist but i cant seem to find any like that

Look for a running or sports store near you, they usually have all the accessories. They have handheld mini ones, different styles that attach to your waist, hydration packs, etc.

I personally cannot stand to carry anything in my hands while running. So I would just leave the water in the car until I came back to it. But I have been caught a few times on an extra long run due to wrong turns without water. I am hoping to pick up a small hydration pack for running tomorrow. No need to carry anything in your hands.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Unless it is extremely hot (not sure where you are), I can plan my longer (8+ mile) routes so I hit up a park/fountain somewhere mid route. It took me a while to discover all of my neighborhood spots, but given how long it took to build up to distances where I couldn't comfortably hydrate the 2-4oz/mile I needed pre-run (as your body can only process about 20-30oz/hour) I found enough spots over time.

Occasionally hiding a bottle mid-route has worked as well.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Let's back up a little. How far are you running? What types of temp are you going out in? If you're just starting there is little chance that you're running distances that put you at risk of dehydration so the need to carry water might not even exist. If you're doing it for comfort, there are multiple systems in place from belts to backpacks to strap to the hand systems or there is the old fashioned run in a loop with water propositioned at the start/finish point that will suffice until you start reaching distances and durations that make water a necessity.
  • JosieRawr
    JosieRawr Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    I had a belt with about 16 oz total water capacity (split into several different smaller bottles), but I really found it irritating, but I got it at Walmart... Only way I've been able to run with water is with two water bottles one in each hand, but only in certain circumstances and usually I just try to keep hydrated over all and drink a little before I go then immediately sip a bottle of water when I get back. Unfortunately not any good stops around my town for pubic fountains...
  • lucasmoten
    lucasmoten Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I use a hydration vest for runs planned for longer than 1 hour, or for extreme heat/humidity conditions as insurance. Camelbak is popular, but I went with a 2 liter one (Nathan HPL 020 Vest) which runs about $60 or so on Amazon. The multiple straps keep it stable and snug so it isn't bouncing around - something important for runs. On very hot and humid days, I've gone through 2 liters in an hour. That may seem like quite a bit of extra weight to carry (4-5 pounds), but its way more balanced in a vest to distribute on your body then it is in a water bottle being carried in your hands.

Other times I pair up a Camelbak water bottle in an Eddie Bauer hand type holster which makes it easier to carry. I prefer that for trails where slips and falls, or coming down a hill into a tree may be a realistic scenario as the bottle can be used to cushion the blow.
  • unprettyzombie
    Options
    its about 106 -110 here so i need a bit of water i am running jogging up hill its not far but i like water and there are no fountains up in the hills
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Yes, Nathan has a 12-16 oz bottle, with adjustable strap for tightness, and little bag for key or gel's for when you really are going distance.

And it's actually not bad to train your body to make it without extra water for short distances and times. It's only if you lose 1% or more of your weight by water that you affect performance, which probably isn't a concern at this point.

But in those temps, careful drinking too much prior, during, and after, and not replacing the sodium you sweat out. That can cause some dangerous imbalances, and you don't have to be drinking extreme amounts if the sweating because of extreme temps is bad.
  • unprettyzombie
    Options
    i actually dont sweat much but i just want some water i go bike riding and sometimes i just want a drink of water but hate carrying my keys and phone and water its too much to hold for me so im look for things i can use to help all that i bought a case so i can run with my phone
  • Maleficent0241
    Maleficent0241 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Lots of options: http://www.runningwarehouse.com/catpage-hydration.html

You can find a lot of these in local stores as well - you just need to hit up a running store instead of a general sports store if you want more options. Personally, after trying a number of things, I prefer just a water bottle with a strap so I don't have to grip so hard. I hate things bouncing on my waist or having my back covered, so the handhelds are what I go for - when I was running marathons, I would carry them the whole way during training. Everyone is different in their preferences, so if you can find a way to try a few things out without breaking the bank it might be worth it.

For your phone, keys, cards, etc. a lot of folks like the Spibelt.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    i actually dont sweat much but i just want some water i go bike riding and sometimes i just want a drink of water but hate carrying my keys and phone and water its too much to hold for me so im look for things i can use to help all that i bought a case so i can run with my phone
    Do you need options to hold water and items while biking? That's easier. They sell all sort of things that affix to your bike.

I also live in the 106+ land and I wouldn't run in midday, water or no water. Go out in the early am or after dark, at least. It's not like you burn more calories in the extreme heat. You're just more uncomfortable and it's more dangerous. Riding a bike in that heat isn't too bad, though, and it's easy to carry water on the bike frame or ride to a store and buy a drink.