Trying to lose and nursing twins. Anyone else?

Options
Anyone like me out there? Trying to figure out how many calories to add for my twinks. I have read a 1000 is good, but just seems like so much.

Replies

• fooninie
    fooninie Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Anyone like me out there? Trying to figure out how many calories to add for my twinks. I have read a 1000 is good, but just seems like so much.

I did not lose one pound while nursing, I was the complete opposite of what everyone told me. I'm very interested in the responses you will get, even if it's too late for me. Congrats on the twins! Mom to twins should be categorized as superhero status, IMO. Cheers!
  • TwinsRaGift
    TwinsRaGift Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the twins! I had twin boys two years ago myself. I tried the nursing thing, but it just didn't work for me. The boys were 6 weeks early and had latch problems. I pumped for about three months but didn't notice any weight loss from it.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    If you search breast feeding under the food section, you will get a negative calorie entry. There are a number of different options based on how much you are feeding.
    My understanding is around 300 calories a day is required to produce milk if full time breastfeeding one child. So you would be at least double that.
  • thickerella
    thickerella Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Unless you're 6months out, this may not be the best time to focus on weight loss. You are the primary source for nutrition for your little ones. I lost 30lbs without trying when I was breastfeeding only one. I didn't count ANY calories then and I ate all the time. Of course, if you're BF'ing twins I don't even know how you could have the ENERGY to count calories. You're a stronger woman than I!
  • MadelineGraceG
    MadelineGraceG Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I've read that breastfeeding one child can be anywhere between 400-700 calories in a 24 hour time frame, depending on the age of the child. If you have a newborn who only gets about 2 oz each time, then it would be less than say a 8 month old who could be getting 6 oz or more. I'm currently pumping milk for my 6 month old and she eats 6 oz every 3-4 hours, so I allow 500 extra calories.

But you have to be careful counting calories. My sister in-law wanted to lose weight too quickly after she had her baby and completely dried up her milk because she wasn't eating enough. Babies come first, but if you do it right, you can lose weight and keep nursing! Good luck! I am so jealous that you have twins! I want twins SO bad!!
  • xilka
    xilka Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    I was my skinniest ever when I was nursing, it took about 6 months to kick in but then it all came right off.

Just eat when you're hungry and make sure it's whole, good, healthy food.
  • mthr2
    mthr2 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I effortlessly lost weight while nursing my first one....Fast forward to nearly a decade later and lost 0 while nursing my second....and I nursed him almost exclusively. Of course, I had also developed quite a cupcake addiction.
  • brainpages
    Options
    I just started yesterday with my fitness pal. My 7 month old is EBF eating 6-10 times per day. He has always been a frequent but fast/light eater. I also have to pump twice a day to keep a supply up for twice a week babysitting. He eats solids a couple times a day but I am his main watering hole. I am constantly intensely hungry and can eat a full plate 30 minutes after eating dinner. Up until now I haven't been counting calories and I'm not sure I should be. I eat pretty well, with one soda and one small serving of dessert per day. My vices are that little kick of caffeine at lunch and a little dark chocolate after dinner. I wondered if the app can account for breastfeeding but I haven't been able to find it. I just have my activity level set really high to compensate. I am not stressed or pressured into losing a lot of weight right now, but would like to drop a few pounds in a healthy way. Breastfeeding has not been a magical weight loss trick for me, it seems the exact opposite actually! I say eat well when you are hungry and don't go overboard. Eat a lot of "freebies" like leafy greens, dark colored veggies and stuff like that! It's nice to not feel guilty about polishing off half a bag of baby carrots!
  • Amalthea8284
    Amalthea8284 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Here's what kellymom has to say:

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/mothers-diet/mom-weightloss/

There's no specific reference to twins, but I personally would double the singleton calorie amount.
  • tiggerhammon
    tiggerhammon Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Just have to say - I have no idea how you do it! If you have twins and you are nursing them, how can you even stay up long enough at night to enter your food? Let alone remember what you ate that day.

Personally, I would start high to prevent milk loss. Add that 1000 extra calories and give it 2 weeks. If you feel you are getting plenty to eat, your supply hasn't dropped and you are not losing, drop it 200. Wait 2 weeks again and repeat. But, give it a minimum of at least 2 weeks on each caloric amount to really see if it is working, takes time for your body to adjust.
  • crazycazzie
    Options
    Thanks guys! I am definitely focused on losing slowly. I don't have time to mess with my supply with two of them, lol. There is just such a spread for calories. Kellymom is definitely my favorite site for breastfeeding stuff and it is telling me between 400 and 1000 calories. There are days when I am starving and I just listen to my body because of nursing. I just don't want to pick up any bad habits along the way!
  • BuoyantSoul
    BuoyantSoul Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on the twins! They are wonderful but it sounds like a lot of work! Good on you!

I personally lost all the baby weight over the course of about three months after giving birth, while nursing one child, and doing zero diet and exercise - in fact, eating like a hog! I was ravenous constantly for the first few months. People told me my body would "hang on" to my weight, but that didn't happen with me at all. I guess I was lucky, but I'm told this is pretty common.

When I started exercising, I lost even more and now I'm slimmer than I was before getting pregnant. Still not "dieting" and still breastfeeding a toddler. Nursing for me is like the miracle diet.

A thousand calories extra per day sounds about right for young twins. It's about 500 a day for infants under six months old (i.e., not eating solids yet). Seems like a lot, but it's not, really - consider that they nurse every two hours and milk is high in fat and requires energy to make as well.

It's probably better to concentrate on getting the right nutrition rather than cutting calories at this stage in the game. Eat when you're hungry and definitely make sure to drink enough. You're probably completely exhausted all the time but if you can start getting active (I mean starting slow) that will probably be much more effective in the long run. But don't be afraid to give it time. It's not important to lose all the baby weight right away. Your body will adjust gradually over time. I'm personally 18 months post-partum and my body is still changing on a daily basis.
  • lindsienygaard
    lindsienygaard Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I just had my twins girls 2 weeks ago. They were 8 weeks early, so they're still in the hospital. I'm pumping for them and I nurse them when I'm up at the hospital. I know it's too early for me to be thinking about working out, but I seriously can't wait to get back in the gym. Have you figured out about how many calories work for you?