Cannot lose weight

Options
Advice please. I am so frustrated. In a year I have put on 3 stones. yet I exercise constantly and cannot lose weight. I found my BMR from various websites and averaged it to be 1639 (Katch McCardle). I am 5 ft 4" and weigh 187 lbs and need to lose at least 50 lbs. I do 10 classes a week (zumba, body pump, spinning, aerobics etc) as well as lift weights in the gym for about 2 hrs a week. MFP tells me I should eat at least 1350 to lose 2 lbs a week and I currently eat between 1600 and 1800 calories. Before I joined MFP I ate between 1,000 - 1200 cals, mostly protein and hardly any carbs and lost nothing. Did Weightwatchers, lost nothing, did 5:2 diet and again lost nothing. I now eat carbs. What am I doing wrong? I had a personal trainer who said my problem was that I did too much exercise and did not eat carbs and definitely did not eat enough food. Now I eat carbs and have only lost about 1 lb in 6 weeks. Help.

Replies

• pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Open your diary.
  • Tigermum9
    Tigermum9 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    thyroid?
  • Mystique225to504
    Mystique225to504 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You may want to see a doctor and see if you have a hormonal imbalance that could making it difficult to lose weight. It could a thyroid or parathyroid issue. It could be anything? Good luck
  • cinmorrowlvn
    cinmorrowlvn Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Absolutely consult with your doctor. If you are working out too much and not eating a balanced diet your body will go into a starvation type mode.

Talk with a doctor AND a nutritionist.

Good luck!
  • fushigi1988
    fushigi1988 Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    You are working out A LOT, that does not seem healthy. Why so much? Your body needs a lot more food then 100 calories above BMr to support that activity.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    thyroid?
    second post in is that a record?
  • tipsy1234dopes
    tipsy1234dopes Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've had it tested several times and it comes back normal
  • tipsy1234dopes
    Options
    I've been to the doctors about this a few times. They don't have a clue why and do not suggest anything. It is me that suggests my thyroid, but had this tested and it comes back normal.
  • ClementineGeorg
    ClementineGeorg Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    How to you estimate your calorie intake? Do you use a scale, measurement cups or you just estimate?
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    If you have not been diagnosed with a medical condition - the most likely thing is you are overestimating your exercise calories and the REAL culprit - underestimating what you are eating. If you are weighing ( with a food scale) and measuring (with measuring spoons and cups/liquids) every bite you eat - you could be shooting yourself in the foot every day.

Exercise is great for our health, but the important thing in losing weight is to make sure you are in a calorie deficit for your body. Read the links below and maybe they will help you figure out what's holding you up.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it
  • tipsy1234dopes
    Options
    Most of what I eat is estimated by what's written on the packet, or its mostly fruit and veg, but do measure porridge
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    Most of what I eat is estimated by what's written on the packet, or its mostly fruit and veg, but do measure porridge

Measure everything. Get a food scale and weigh everything that is solid. Tighten up your logging and be very honest. The thing is, a beautiful diary is irrelevant if you are not being perfectly honest and accurate. That's what was tripping me up when I started 2 years ago. Estimating food is very inaccurate.

Read all the links and make a plan that will get you on a path to lose.

ETA: You have to count all the calories in fruits and veggies - your body certainly does. Why wouldn't you?
  • Sarahsteve7kids
    Sarahsteve7kids Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Measure everything. Get a food scale and weigh everything that is solid. Tighten up your logging and be very honest. The thing is, a beautiful diary is irrelevant if you are not being perfectly honest and accurate. That's what was tripping me up when I started 2 years ago. Estimating food is very inaccurate.

Read all the links and make a plan that will get you on a path to lose.

ETA: You have to count all the calories in fruits and veggies - your body certainly does. Why wouldn't you?

^^^^^ very we'll said! I finally got honest with counting and the weight has fallen off!
  • nusiax
    nusiax Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    If you Doctor says you have no hormonal imbalance. Then it could be a low metabolism. I have that issue. Means it takes more for your body to burn calories than normal. Have a Metabolism Test. And seek out a trainer. I have this problem. And I have to live with only losing 1 to 2 KG per month. But it can be done. Take your time. Keep healthy. It will work. Just takes longer!!!!!
  • tipsy1234dopes
    Options
    Thanks for your comments but it still doesn't explain how I can exercise for 12 hours a week, follow a calorie controlled diet and still not lose. I had a trainer who said I ate far too less for the amount I burn so my body is starving but then I up my calories and still cant lose. Very confusing. I mostly eat plain fish, chicken, veg, fruit, nuts and seeds, so healthy food but still nothing. is the answer then to stick with 1,000 - 1,200 calories, continue exercising and lifting and don't eat back those calories?
  • jeffpettis
    jeffpettis Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I've had it tested several times and it comes back normal

...then you are eating more than you think, or burning less than you think, or a combination of both. Either way if you are not losing weight you are simply not in a calorie deficit.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Overestimating caloric burn + underestimating intake = gaining weight when you think everything is done correctly.
  • momentofmadness
    momentofmadness Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Until you accurately measure your calories then you really haven't got the information you need - why not put up a typical day? Do you snack (secret eater who hoovers up small snacks, scraps etc?)

Sounds like you're in denial to be honest, you asked for advice so why not try it?

Good luck - we're behind you but you've got to help yourself too and be honest.

:wink:
  • gypsy_spirit
    Options
    Thanks for your comments but it still doesn't explain how I can exercise for 12 hours a week, follow a calorie controlled diet and still not lose. I had a trainer who said I ate far too less for the amount I burn so my body is starving but then I up my calories and still cant lose. Very confusing. I mostly eat plain fish, chicken, veg, fruit, nuts and seeds, so healthy food but still nothing. is the answer then to stick with 1,000 - 1,200 calories, continue exercising and lifting and don't eat back those calories?

You will never outrun a calorie overestimation. It's that simple. Exercise all you want during the week. Until your body gets to a calorie deficit with food - you probably won't lose weight. How long have you been eating at the higher calories? Because if is has just been in the last 2 or 3 weeks, a temporary gain in normal. Your body will adjust and begin losing again.

Other than that, you seem to believe that you are doing everything correctly. Believing that you are doing it right - and still not getting results - would make me rethink my plan. Aside from that, you can continue to post questions and maybe someone will have a different answer for you.
  • pensierobello
    pensierobello Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Yet another person who whimpers about why they can't lose weight but won't open their diary. Waste of time!