learning to run ~ a few questions

Options
Hello MFP community! I just wanted to get a little help / a few tips on learning how to run. This week I've started trying to get back into shape and lose a little weight. I mean, losing weight would be nice, but mostly I really want to feel better/get healthier.

I downloaded a C25k app- with interval running. The first day that I did it was a breeze. But when I moved on to the second day, I couldn't get through the workout without skipping a couple of intervals. My plan is to repeat the day over and over until I can hit it. I know it's not going to be easy to learn. I know it's going to take a while. But I had a few questions.

1) Are there better ways to train myself to learn how to run? I've read a lot about not running too fast- and I don't think that I am. I'm not really out of breath, and I can talk at the slow pace I'm starting. I feel like it's mostly that my legs/joints aren't used to the stress I'm putting on them. (I'm 5'5" and currently weigh around 213lbs.) I did go and buy some new shoes this week, and that has helped tremendously- my feet aren't hurting and my legs hurt a lot less than they did the first few days I started the c25k and doing cardio in general. I asked a few of my runner friends and two of the sales people at the store about shoes for beginner runners. I've never had a more comfortable pair of shoes in my life. I've been running the Zombies, Run! app alongside the C25k app I downloaded which helps keep me going, it breaks up the monotony. I've seen some posts saying not to worry about following an app- but to just run as long as you can, walk, then repeat. And that eventually you'll build up your stamina. I'm wondering if it's a matter of preference or if one or the other actually works better.

2) Track vs. Treadmill | Is one or the other easier or better? I've been doing it on the treadmill at the gym. But it gets a little clunky increasing/decreasing speed. There is a walking track near my house. (I would just have to go early morning or late evening to avoid the heat.) Is it better to do this kind of a program outside on a track? (We don't have sidewalks where I live so running around town isn't really doable.) I feel like maybe it would be easier if I wasn't constricted to the treadmill and didn't focus so much on the MPH numbers, etc.

3) Sports Bra question for the ladies ~~ I am rather well endowed. And am having a hard time finding a sports bra that I really like that is affordable. I found one that zips up the front and if I wear it over one of my old "comfy" bras it seems to do the trick really well. But I would love to save up the money for a good sports bra to buy if I stick with it. I currently wear a 42DD or DDD depending on the bra. Most sports bras I've seen/found seem to stop at a D. (I mean really, if they want us bigger ladies to get into shape, why isn't more workout wear made in larger sizes???)

4) What to wear? This sounds silly, I'm sure. But I have a few pair of shorts / capri type workout pants. And after I start running / working out, I find that I tend to have to start pulling them up at intervals. Which drives me crazy. I have to have something at least knee length, because I hate that feeling of my thighs rubbing together. Do you suggest wearing tanks or tshirts? Does it even matter? Long or short pants? I just want to be comfortable. I've already figured out a tighter fitting shirt is way more comfortable than a loose one- for me anyway. But are there any materials I should stay away from or anything like that? (I feel ridiculous with this question but hey- I'm genuinely curious and the only way to learn is to ask.)

Replies

• RachelAngel01
    RachelAngel01 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I started running with a Galloway run/walk group in my area. It was a great way to begin, they had a "beginners" group, and I was able to complete a half marathon within 8 months of beginning my program. Slow and steady. Intervals are your friend. I still run intervals, albeit a bit faster now. You might want to look into a Galloway program near you. It's awesome to have a group to get together with on the weekends.

Personally, I hate the treadmill, but you have to do what works best for you. It is much more interesting to be outside to me, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Do what you like!

Sports bra--try Moving Comfort. I don't know how big they go up (I think fairly large) and they really lock and load. Really.

Wear what you are comfy in...just NOT COTTON. Get a synthetic, moisture wicking fabric. Same for your socks. No cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture, and if you sweat at all, you will be drenched, and it will make any chafing issues you have worse. I like Old Navy's running stuff...it is inexpensive, and it comes in sizes up to XXL....which is nice for us "bigger" girls.

Best of luck!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on getting started! That's the hardest step to take. C25K is a wonderful program.

I suggest this group for support and advice:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/30-couch-to-5k-running-program-c25k

First rule for successfully completing C25K is to slow down. You probably think you're already running slow but it's likely too fast for this stage of running. If you cannot speak while running (huffing, puffing, gasping while speaking), you're running too quickly. Slow down.
    The first few weeks of C25K is for getting all of your body systems into balance. You say you aren't breathing heavy, which may mean that your cardiovascular system is ahead of your leg muscle & tendon systems. Slow down to give all systems a chance to catch up and get into sync. After that, you'll slowly start to naturally speed up.

Track vs. Treadmill: whichever gets you doing your workout. I trained on the treadmill during winter but moved outdoors in the spring. It was a hard transition (I went from running 30 minutes on the treadmill to running about 5-10 minutes outdoors for a week or so) but I've heard that a transition from outdoors to treadmill is just as hard. Do both if you can and expect different running speeds and efforts for each one. It's always an adjustment. Now when I go back to the treadmill, it's hard to keep that steady pace going. Outdoors you naturally speed up or slow down a tiny bit.

Clothes: yoga pants, shorts or capris are great. They sit well and, if you find them slipping down, just buy a smaller size. The stretchiness keeps them looking good. They come in all styles (wide leg, narrow leg, etc). I find mine at Costco for a reasonable price....usually have to buy them slightly out of season (the capris come in end of winter, for example) but they are comfy and durable and after a year, you've got a complete wardrobe :smile: .
    For shirts, I find the wicking t-shirts great. I used to run in regular t-shirts but once I used a wicking one, I was hooked. They feel much cooler than the regular tshirts. I find them at Winners for about half the price or less than at running stores. Some even have pockets to hold your ipod or phone.

Good luck and hang in there. It gets better and it feels great to be running.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I like Old Navy's running stuff...it is inexpensive, and it comes in sizes up to XXL....which is nice for us "bigger" girls.

Thank you! I'll check them out. Always glad to have another store to check out for running clothes.
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options

Personally, I hate the treadmill, but you have to do what works best for you. It is much more interesting to be outside to me, but ultimately it doesn't matter. Do what you like!

Sports bra--try Moving Comfort. I don't know how big they go up (I think fairly large) and they really lock and load. Really.

Wear what you are comfy in...just NOT COTTON. Get a synthetic, moisture wicking fabric. Same for your socks. No cotton. Cotton absorbs moisture, and if you sweat at all, you will be drenched, and it will make any chafing issues you have worse. I like Old Navy's running stuff...it is inexpensive, and it comes in sizes up to XXL....which is nice for us "bigger" girls.

Best of luck!

This. I especially endorse Moving Comfort. I could stick my DD's in them with no issue and it's the first time I haven't had to "double up" to run without pain.

There are other running training programs out there. I use a 13-week, 0-10km running program. It's an interval training program that taps out at running 10min. at a time, but with it (and practice) I can run a 10km run in 55 minutes now. Let me know if you are interested; I can share it.
  • jbqueen
    jbqueen Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Hi! I just started doing couch to 5K, too! It can be tough going. What works for me is to repeat the last day of the week I'm having difficultly with, until I feel ready to tackle the next week. And yes, don't worry about speed.

As for bras, I have this and it definitely works: http://bounce.titlenine.com/product/313801.do?sortby=ourPicks#.U7gxGKiT5x8. Try this site to find other ones, too: http://www.herroom.com/sports,full-figure-(dd-),bras,50,66,001,25.html, but I can recommend the Enell bra. I've had it for years, too, so I think it's a good investment for the money.

I find it easier to run on the treadmill, which is why I try to run outdoors whenever possible - if I run a 5K, it won't be indoors, so I'd rather train for that. I've read that running on a treadmill with a 1% incline simulates running outdoors, so I do set my treadmill to that. This article mentions the how and why of that, as well as the difference between treadmill/outdoor running: http://www.bostonmagazine.com/health/blog/2013/07/30/treadmill-running-versus-running-outside/

As for what to wear, I have found that pants with a drawstring and/or a thicker elastic waist band work better and don't slide down as easily as those that have a narrow elastic band, so that could solve the issues with having to adjust your clothing as you run. I wear cotton or cotton/spandex, but I'm sure more experienced runners could offer better advice about material. Good luck!
  • drewmmm
    drewmmm Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Congratulations for starting! The first step is the hardest! C25K is a great program BUT I would suggest maybe start with only brisk walking first until you lose some weight, because running is pretty stressful for your joints and your feet, knees and hips will suffer from high impact exercise such as running. Start with walking and find out what works for you along the way.
  • moonievidler
    moonievidler Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Congrats on starting to run.

For me, I find the C2K running program too quick of an escalation. I have a slight exercise induced asthma and I sometimes need to repeat a week.

Don't be afraid to do this.

It doesn't really matter which program you use. It matters that you are doing it.

Clothes... I use a lot of Old Navy run clothes. For tanks, I like the under armour ones. Sports bra - don't spend a million dollars on one. I wear a Wonderbra one that has full support in it.

Don't rush, slow down and never ever underestimate the value of a good shoe.

Good luck.
  • amandam603
    Options
    My first few weeks of C25K were awful. Everything hurt from the waist down, every day, every run. I am pretty in-tune with my body, so I knew going in that I didn't have any underlying injuries or anything, so I kept at it. As long as you are sure that your body is physically able to run (as in, you've seen a doctor or otherwise know your limitations) just keep at it! After a few weeks, as my body caught up with me and I started losing weight, the pain was almost gone. Every pound you lose will lessen the stress on your joints and everything should hurt less. Don't be afraid to repeat workouts in C25K, although the app sometimes gets glitchy when you do. I did week 4 for two weeks and now that my second week is almost done, I am very glad I did.

I overwhelmingly prefer running outside, but running on a treadmill is better than nothing! I find that when I run on the road, I run faster than when I run on a small track. On a track, I think "okay, run for two minutes, that should be about x laps" and then I push towards that, which can stress me out or force me to run faster than I should or even make the distance seem farther! If I'm running on the road or a trail, I don't do that, and it makes a huge difference for me. I hate treadmills because I can see my elapsed time and my distance, so when I have used them I have always covered the display with something.

I ONLY run in tanks and shorts, sometimes capris when it's colder. I hate the feeling of cotton (although I do have a really lightweight burnout cotton tank from Old Navy that I love) when I'm sweating! I have the problem of constantly needing to pull my shirt down when I'm running, which is irritating, but I have yet to find a way to remedy that without wearing a baggy t-shirt. (which I hate, it feels like too much fabric touching me) But that, I think, is more about preference than anything. As far as bras, I typically just wear two sports bras. A smaller size can work too, and underwire is great. The bra combo that works best for me is an underwire with padded straps that isn't super supportive on its own, and then a "regular" spandex sports bra over top, maybe in a smaller size if the material seems too stretchy.

Something extra that helps me stick with it is Nike+. I can set goals for myself, analyze my runs and see where and when I slowed down or how fast I'm going, etc. When I first started, I was doing my running intervals WAY too fast, at almost an 8 minute mile pace! I didn't even realize it. Now I have slowed down to between a 9:30 and a 10:30 pace for my runs (and still about a 13:00-14:00 for walks) and it has been a lot easier. You can track your speed on a treadmill, too, and look up the comparison between mph and pace. I really just like being able to use the Nike+ website to look at my progress and push myself... It's fun seeing my mileage go higher and higher, and I compete with myself.
  • ohiotubagal
    ohiotubagal Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    First of all...good for you for starting! That is half the battle, I think.

I just finished C25K and found that certain days felt harder than others. Repeating days/weeks is the way to go! And yes, if it feels too hard, slow down. Do you think about your breathing at all? That REALLY helped me. I do an inhale two steps/exhale 3 steps pattern, making sure I am inhaling from my diaphragm, through my nose, rather than my upper chest. It felt strange at first but now is like second nature.

As for leg pain, I had a lot when I started too. It gradually got better over time. Glad you found some good shoes. I try to ice my knees after my long runs, just as a preventative measure. Also pay attention to your running form. Are you landing on your heels? If so that will cause extra stress on your joints.

I'll second the recommendation for Jeff Galloway's program. Check out his book called "Running Getting Started". I got my copy at my local library. If you are finding running 60 seconds at a time difficult, you'll like his method. I figure his method is proven and he is a former Olympic marathoner! I have started using his program after I finished C25K, and plan to use it to train for a 10k.

I found my sports bra at Old Navy, size XL. I started off as a 40 DD...so it might fit you? I got mine at B1G1 half off ($30 total I think).

Do you have 5k race you'd like to do in a couple of months? It helped me to have a goal like that. I started in mid April, thinking I would run my first one in early August, but I felt ready and did my first one yesterday. You may surprise yourself!

Feel free to add me as a friend...can't have too many running friends! :-)
  • midwinteraz
    midwinteraz Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to second the recommendation for Title 9's jogbras. They're often pricey, but it's worth the investment if you can workout comfortably. It's like making the jump from department store Nikes to professionally fitted shoes at a running shop. Night and day!

I was a competitive runner in college, and now, 45 pounds heavier and 2 decades later, I'm dabbling with C25k to get back into it. I have early arthritis in my knees, so running can be extremely painful at times. What I've done is given myself permission to repeat workouts/weeks in C25k and not worry so much about advancing to the next level. I'm not training for a goal race with a set date - just working on getting back into running shape. So if you're comfortable at week 1, but really struggling with week 2, either repeat week 1 a few more times, or stick w/ week 2 until you've absolutely nailed it....THEN move on to the next level. Listen to your body and pay attention to your running form. Try to keep your shoulders and jaw relaxed, and keep your wrists mostly level with your hips (don't swing your arms up to chest level unless you're sprinting). And try to keep your arms roughly at your sides. A lot of new runners (myself included) tend to swing their arms across their chests, like boxers punching across the body. Try to keep your arms from crossing your midline. It seems trivial at short distances, but it'll really come in handy if/when you want to increase your distance.

If you have access to it, a rubberized track or grassy surface will be the easiest on your joints. Here in AZ, my options are hard packed dirt, asphalt or concrete :( That said, asphalt is softer than concrete. I find that running outside is better for me than the treadmill - my stride is more natural and my body moves more fluidly. On the treadmill, I'm having my feet pulled back and away as soon as they hit the surface. I use the treadmill when it's too hot to run outside, but I try to get in at least one outside workout for every couple of treadmill runs to keep things balanced. Also, according to my running group, the treadmill (due to the flat surface and moving belt) is slightly easier than running outside, so if you want to prepare for actual outside work, always set the treadmill at a 1.0 elevation. That'll help level the playing field.

Also, the most important thing I've learned about running is this: your cardiovascular system adapts and "gets used to" running a LOT faster than your skeletal system. So, while you might feel great with your breathing and heart rate, your joints can take a lot longer to adapt and get used to the stresses. So, even if you're feeling great, take it easy when it comes to increasing distance/time/speed. The rule of thumb is to increase your total distance by no more than 10% per week. That helps give your bones and joints time to adjust. As someone w/ a lifetime of knee issues, this is a particularly important rule to me :)
  • missbethea
    missbethea Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't know if we have any groups in my area. I live in a small town (less than 1 sq. mile in size). I do, however, have a friend who is working out with me and also trying to do C25k. So we are doing it together. (I'm going to point her here, too.)

I am glad to have a good suggestion for a sports bra! I'm working on "rewarding" myself with stuff for the gym the longer I keep at it. I'll put that on my list. For the moment I have something tolerable, but I'd like something nice. I looked up the Moving Comfort and it has great reviews and does come in the right size for me, which is EXCITING. I'll also head to Old Navy next time I'm in town and see what they have.

Thank you all for the helpful links!! I'm excited to have more to read and more resources on hand.

The suggestion abotu the elastic band sounds really awesome! I have one pair that doesn't slide and they DO have a much wider elastic band but that didn't even occur to me. So I'll look for more that are similar to my favorite pair.

I don't work until late tomorrow, so I'm going to try to get up early and try it out on the track near my house and see if that goes any better for me. If it does then I can definitely make time to go to the track 3 days a week- and it's on my way TO the gym so I can do both if I feel up to it.

You have given some great tips and advice and links! I'm very appreciative and thankful. Especially for help with my sports bra problem. I know it will take time, but I have faith that I can get there if I keep at it!!
  • heis4u2004
    heis4u2004 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I started on the treadmill to learn my pace and get my legs accustom to the movements. I still use it to increase my pace. I find if I run on the treadmill and set it for a slightly higher speed every so often , then my road running is faster.
    Last year when i began, I started at about 4 mile per hour and would bump it up during a 30 minute workout to 4.5mph every 5 minutes or so. The after about a week I was at 4.5mph and bumping up the speed to 5mph.
    Now I run faster than I thought I could run (6mph) for over 20 minutes.
    The treadmill helped me with setting the pace and with getting my heart accustomed to running. My heart rate used to be really high at a lower speed, but not anymore.
    Some days I will run 2 miles outside, then go in and run 2 miles on the treadmill, then 2 miles on the elliptical. I am not fond of the elliptical. I tend to go slower on it than the treamill and outside.
  • PaytraB
    Options
    I find if I run on the treadmill and set it for a slightly higher speed every so often , then my road running is faster. .

Me, too! Over the winter, I used the treadmill and ran slightly faster (various speeds) and with various inclines. I found that, come spring, I was faster when I ran outdoors. I intend to try this again in the coming winter.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
  • maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    i like the treadmill mostly because i can keep track of how fast im running and keep myself busy either watching a movie or listening to my music .. also i have to use the bathroom almost every time when i run and so being close to home is necessary for me as opposed to being out on the road somewhere where there isnt one available . i ran in a 5k and an 8k before on a few occasions and while im not the fasted runner in the world i completed them . i use the c210k and so far so good.