Increased calories and not happy about it

Options
I started with a personal trainer at my gym a little less than 2 weeks ago. I love, love, LOVE the workouts and the extra push and how I feel about myself and my progress so far, even though I've only had a couple of sessions with him.

The only thing I'm not crazy about is how much he's having me eat. He's got me on a 6 smaller meals a day schedule and it comes out to 1400-1500 calories. I told him what I was doing with MFP and how I was keeping to a 1200 calorie "diet" and he said that I am undereating at 1200 calories. I've been following his meal plan for about a week now and I've gained 2 lbs!!

Can this be possible? I suppose so, with an extra 300 calories a day, but really? How much longer should I let this go to see if things settle down? I am lifting so I guess it could be that I'm retaining water to help with muscle repair (I thought I read that somewhere here, or did I just make that up?). Any thoughts? Should I be freaking out yet?

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out, it's most likely water if you're eating at 1400-1500. You should be able to lose at that amount. Why not give it a month?
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    Most trainers speak absolute nonsense about nutrition I will agree with him though 1200 calories is likely to be too low. An increase in calories that much you will gain water but it will settle down. ^ meals a day silliness if it doesn't fit in with your life as when how you eat will make no difference

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1175494-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants?hl=guide+to+sexypants&page=1#posts-18361594
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    No need to freak out, you're retaining water from the increased workload. There's no way you're gaining fat from 1400-1500 calories coupled with regular exercise. Give it a few weeks.
  • Chrisparadise579
    Chrisparadise579 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Do not worry at all! 1200 calories is way too low to start with. The reason for the weight gain could easily be water weight and if not your metabolism will get better and you will actually lose weigh faster! I know it sounds crazy but ive seen it work many times. Keep up the good work
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Don't freak out, it's most likely water if you're eating at 1400-1500. You should be able to lose at that amount. Why not give it a month?

This!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    while most trainers really don't know much about nutrition, eating more - at least, on workout days - is normal. you have to replace what you burn working out or you risk burning muscle. i eat 1200 net calories per day, and i do eat back part of my exercise calories. also since i've been working out more and more, i find i get actually hungry between meals (surprising since i eat every 2.5 hours), so i have half a fat free greek yogurt or half a protein drink to tide me through - and that adds about 60 calories each time.

good luck with your workouts, and let us know how you're doing with them :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you want to lose 15 lbs. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week—which is way more than 1,200 calories.

Remember when you started, and lost a whole lot at first? Your recent gain is the same thing, but in reverse. It's just water & glycogen.

Listen to your trainer (follow his plan for several weeks, then reevaluate), and read the Sexypants link posted above: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Talk to a doctor. Anyone can be a trainer. I know someone who did it. He knew nothing. He talked a good game and learned some buzz words, but had next to no knowledge of anything. I shudder to think that anyone followed his advice.

Have your doctor be the one who gives your guidelines. Not the trainer. Not the Internet.

A pound or two is normal for fluctuations. I probably gained a pound or two since I woke up. Don't freak out yet. :)

But talk to your doctor. :)
  • Tippy05
    Tippy05 Posts: 43
    Options
    Thanks everybody. I feel better knowing that this is par for the course. I'll hang on a couple more weeks and see where it goes.

For what it's worth, he's "just" the personal trainer but has a nutritionist working with him on the food planning part of the whole thing.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Everybody's different, and weight loss takes a whole lot of trial & error to find what works for you. Follow your trainer's plan for several weeks, then reevaluate.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Key words -
    a little less than 2 weeks ago

Lots of good info given already. I will echo the give it time advice - changing calorie intake, especially when coupled with new exercise, will show a gain on the scale. Don't let it bug ya.

If the scale numbers drive you crazy, make friends with your measuring tape and start tracking your measurements instead. Take some photos for comparison pics as well - often you will see progress through those two methods while the scale is busy messing with your head.

Best move I ever made was getting off that 1200 calorie train - eating the PROPER number of calories for my stats and activity level has been fantastic! I upped my cals probably three years ago, and I reached my goal weight and have kept the weight off for over two years now. And I'm still making progress in fat loss and gaining strength, flexibility and general fitness.

Food is fuel!
  • Drivein4
    Drivein4 Posts: 1
    Options
    Are you gaining muscle? It weighs more than fat. Give this time.
  • fercar3000
    fercar3000 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is what you should be eating just to support your body ( without exercises ) then you want to work out ... well duh !! you have to eat more to support the extra activities , btw don't rely on the scale , measure your body and track the changes