Been at this for 6 days now...really want to lose 10lbs...

Options
Hello everyone,

I have been logging my exercise and food now for 6 days on MFP. I have been reading some of the posts, which have been encouraging and informative. I have been to the gym 5 out of the last 6 days. Since I have some extra time right now my goals is to go to the gym or exercise 6 days a week. I am trying to eat every two - three hours but looking at my information, my salt intake seems a bit out of control.
I was on Weight Watchers last year and lost 17 pounds but hit a plateau and lost nothing for 4 weeks, so I gave up. A very stressful job, long hours, and mindless eating have me at a gain of +25 (17+8) lbs.
Logging in what I eat does help me for accountability.
I am also researching the Ideal Protein program.
I will weigh myself tomorrow since that will be a week down. It doesn't look very hopeful, though.:ohwell:

Replies

• editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    According to your ticker, you want to lose 45 lbs. Set your goal no higher than 1 lb. per week, and log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    You just get started and need to look at it long term. By the end of the month you will have lost some weight, if you are really honest to your self.
    As you have discovered, it is important that you weigh everything what goes into your body, so a kitchen scale is essential. We tend to under estimate input and over estimate exercise.

I personally wear a bodymedia which records and tracks my calorie use and MFP tracks my food intake. These are just tools and not the one-fixes-all-solution. Seeing the numbers helps me make better decisions.....and yes, sometimes I fall off the wagon, but you got to keep going and fix it the next day. A mistake on the previous day doesn't ruin your effort in the long run, if it is occasional. We are all human. Your weight loss success is the sum of all the good efforts.

It took you some time to gain this weight. It may take you the double amount of time to loose it. Slow and steady should be your approach. The link in the posting above are great advices as well.

Give it some time. You wil see that others may give you the same advice.
  • tryin2bfit2
    Options
    @editorgrrl - What and Where is my ticker?
    Yes 45lbs. is my overall goal. But 10 lbs is my short term goal so I can fit back into clothes that I could last year at this time before I go back to work next month.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    If your sodium intake is out of control, you are eating too much processed food.

Ditch the junk and try to stick to whole foods as much as possible. It will drastically lower your sodium intake.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    @editorgrrl - What and Where is my ticker?
    Yes 45lbs. is my overall goal. But 10 lbs is my short term goal so I can fit back into clothes that I could last year at this time before I go back to work next month.
    Thanks for the advice.
    10 lbs. in a month is not realistic at your size. Please, read the Sexypants link.

The ticker is that box on your profile that shows your progress: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker/home
  • Celia_Arminta
    Celia_Arminta Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    eat lots of fruits and veg . my aunt lost 60lbs on weight watchers @ 2lb wk. she calls them s**t disturbers lol. She also never did workouts, but walked everyday about 1 hr for the activity points.
  • tryin2bfit2
    Options
    I read the sexypants link...maybe not the pounds but an inch or two, according to sexypants, may be possible. I will take what I can get...Thank you!
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    I just downloaded the Ideal Protein diet book. Interesting. I don't like all the processed food and the fact that everybody eats basically the same amount. I do like the low-carb concept and I've found that I lose much more easily when I limit carbs. I also find protein powder extremely useful while dieting.
  • croakster
    croakster Posts: 4
    Options
    Thanks for the link ...I'm new to the group and really appreciate all the info that has been helpful to others. :)
  • tryin2bfit2
    Options
    Thanks for the information re:Ideal Protein.
  • tryin2bfit2
    Options
    I have been trying to increase my fruit and vegetable intake but I guess I can and should do better, thank you!
  • chubbynow
    chubbynow Posts: 13
    Options
    I am also researching the Ideal Protein program.

I did Ideal Protein. It is very expensive and once you go back to eating regular, everyday food you will gain the weight back.
  • editorgrrl
    Options
    45lbs. is my overall goal. But 10 lbs is my short term goal so I can fit back into clothes that I could last year at this time before I go back to work next month.
    10 lbs. in a month is not realistic at your size. Please, read the Sexypants link.
    I read the sexypants link...maybe not the pounds but an inch or two, according to sexypants, may be possible.
    No, you cannot lose an inch or two in a month. Read it again: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

Then go to thrift stores (second-hand shops), consignment shops, discount stores (like TJ Maxx & Marshall's), and buy yourself a few work outfits. Buy a digital scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged food. Learn to log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly.

At your size, a realistic, healthy, sustainable loss is 1 lb. per week. You cannot undo a year of unhealthy eating in one month.
  • manicautumn
    manicautumn Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Aim for half. Go for 5 in the first month and get the habit rolling. Weight loss isn't a quick fix.

Buy some new clothes for work that are cheaper and "placeholders" until you fit back into the old ones. Go with skirts with elastic bands and things that will fit you at both weights.

I was in a similar situation where I went from 115lbs to 148lbs over a two year period. I'm at 122lbs now I'm still wearing both clothes from when I was 115 (pants, bras) and ones from when I was heavier (shirts, skirts).

It's easy to want to rush it and be too aggressive, but that won't be sustainable.
  • saddare
    saddare Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    ]I read the sexypants link...maybe not the pounds but an inch or two, according to sexypants, may be possible.
    No, you cannot lose an inch or two in a month. Read it again: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

My measurements from two weeks ago are down 1.5 - 2.5 inches (depending on which measurement we're talking about), so I would say that it is entirely possible to lose "an inch or two" in a month. I've done it with tracking my intake *and* daily exercise, though--I don't know if you can do it with diet alone.
  • CarolinkaCjj
    CarolinkaCjj Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    Patience and persistence are the key. It took you a year to gain those 10 pounds, they are not going to disappear in a month. Lots of good advice- weigh or at the very least measure everything. In the long term, slow and steady will win out. I would give it more than a week - give yourself a month. I understand the stressful job problem - that is what got me to my all time high.
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I re-read the threat; you may have hit a plateau at WW because after loosing 17lbs you needed to re-adjust your deficit. You weren't loosiing because you hit maintenance level. I see this often here posted as a pitfall. People loose their first 10-15lbs and it stalls, they get frustrated and fall off the wagon. Instead of lowering their cals for 100-200 cals and see if the weight loss continues again.
    After loosing 15-17lbs you TDEE should have changed and therefor it needs re-adjustment. I lost now 10lbs and already see a slow down in weight loss. I will keep an eye on it for another week or so and then drop 100 cals and see if I get back and increase my weight loss.

And as others said, give it some time-you didn't gain it suddenly and therefor there is no quick fix.