Will a cigar ruin a breatharian diet

Options
2»

Replies

• Aemely
    Aemely Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    OK, I had to look it up. They lost me after the several deaths and this part. Eww! :tongue: Yeesh, I hope no one else tries this nonsense. :huh:

"She indicated in her diary that she dreamed of food. She lost the use of her legs, became incontinent and began coughing up a black, sticky fluid."

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innovation/edible-innovations/breatharian.htm
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Tobacco is a plant so maybe it counts as a vegetable.

I'm just waiting cynically for the day that someone figures out how to implant chloroplasts into their skin cells (IIRC they're like mitochondria in that they have their own DNA and reproduce within the cells and so will be in daughter cells that come from the original cells you implant them into) and actually tries to live off sunlight. This also makes me think of the X-men movies, but I don't think it would end so well.
    But photosynthesis produces sugar, which we all know is a horrible horrible toxin that's killing us all in any dosage.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Tobacco is a plant so maybe it counts as a vegetable.

I'm just waiting cynically for the day that someone figures out how to implant chloroplasts into their skin cells (IIRC they're like mitochondria in that they have their own DNA and reproduce within the cells and so will be in daughter cells that come from the original cells you implant them into) and actually tries to live off sunlight. This also makes me think of the X-men movies, but I don't think it would end so well.
    But photosynthesis produces sugar, which we all know is a horrible horrible toxin that's killing us all in any dosage.

OMG all life on earth is DOOMED!!!! DOOOMED!!! I tell you!!! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED!!!!!!

6a00d83452654869e200e55282a3988834-pi
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
  • localised
    localised Posts: 25
    Options
    actually. breatharians claim they can live without water as well. idek.
    Well, they put a self-identified breatharian in a room for a few days with no food. The doctor checked her vitals and said she couldn't continue. The breatharian claimed air pollution was to blame, so yeah, a cigar will definitely impact your new lifestyle. Not that it matters much, if you don't drink liquids, you'll be dead in a few days, if do but eat nothing and take no vitamins, you'll be a goner in a few weeks to a few months, so go ahead and have your cigar. And enjoy picking out your skinny coffin, cause it's a great diet for weight loss. Best evah!

LOL I would have thought she would have made the lack of direct sunlight her excuse for it not working.

Follow up study: put breatharian in one of those old style castle keep thingies with the high walls but no ceiling, so he or she gets a sufficient amount of sunlight (plus a shelter in case it rains, I'm not cruel) with no food or possible access to food. Floor is concrete to prevent the consumption of insects or similar. Ensure that the location of this place is far from any air pollution, so that they have totally fresh air and sunlight. Also make sure that the water is the purest spring water available (or do they claim they can live without water too? because even plants can't do that). A doctor to supervise, of course.

Null hypothesis: humans are not plants and do not possess chloroplasts therefore will not be able to make food from water, sunlight and fresh air only, therefore the participant will lose weight until the doctor declares it unsafe to continue with the study.

Any breatharians want to disprove my null hypothesis?
  • neandermagnon
    Options

yeah and even a plant can't do that.......... but given what lift all the pizzas pointed out.... sugar is considered toxic by these woo woo people so the lack of water plus the desire to avoid producing sugar means that photosynthesis is out

I think they think they are jinns. IIRC from Arabic mythology, jinns are made of smokeless fire, which perhaps is analogous to pure energy. So perhaps entropy doesn't apply to them, and they can just carry on existing without having to constantly get energy from external sources.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    QueenBishOTUniverse Posts: 14,121 Member
    Options

yeah and even a plant can't do that.......... but given what lift all the pizzas pointed out.... sugar is considered toxic by these woo woo people so the lack of water plus the desire to avoid producing sugar means that photosynthesis is out

I think they think they are jinns. IIRC from Arabic mythology, jinns are made of smokeless fire, which perhaps is analogous to pure energy. So perhaps entropy doesn't apply to them, and they can just carry on existing without having to constantly get energy from external sources.

Because physics is dumb.... yea, I got nothing, just thinking about breatharians makes my brain squish out my ears.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Because physics is dumb.... yea, I got nothing, just thinking about breatharians makes my brain squish out my ears.

I know what you mean. And I'm going to be blunt. I find it hard to believe that people can be so f***ing stupid as to believe in breatharianism. I saw this http://www.liveloveraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/food-path-pic-2.png and it made me want to cry, like Sheldon.

tumblr_mcosxqg0bV1ry5yyko1_400.png

What makes me really angry about it though is people who claim to have been living as bretharians for such long times that it's impossible that they have been and when they're subjected to testing of their claims, they come up with weak excuses like that the air is polluted or whatever. I suppose I can forgive them if they're genuinely delusional, as in clinically diagnosable as such, but if they're out and out frauds - as I suspect is the case for some of them, then that's reprehensible. People die trying to follow this garbage.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

I know what you mean. And I'm going to be blunt. I find it hard to believe that people can be so f***ing stupid as to believe in breatharianism. I saw this http://www.liveloveraw.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/food-path-pic-2.png and it made me want to cry, like Sheldon.

What makes me really angry about it though is people who claim to have been living as bretharians for such long times that it's impossible that they have been and when they're subjected to testing of their claims, they come up with weak excuses like that the air is polluted or whatever. I suppose I can forgive them if they're genuinely delusional, as in clinically diagnosable as such, but if they're out and out frauds - as I suspect is the case for some of them, then that's reprehensible. People die trying to follow this garbage.

Oh Lawd! I especially love how the picture for omnivores showcases it in the worst possible light. I love me a good hamburger and I eat them regularly, but that picture was in no way representative of my eating habits as an omnivore :noway: . Also, the pescatarians getting lumped together with vegetarians, sorry, if you're eating any type of seafood other than algae and seaweed, you're still eating animal, not even animal products, just strait up animal flesh.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Oh Lawd! I especially love how the picture for omnivores showcases it in the worst possible light. I love me a good hamburger and I eat them regularly, but that picture was in no way representative of my eating habits as an omnivore :noway: . Also, the pescatarians getting lumped together with vegetarians, sorry, if you're eating any type of seafood other than algae and seaweed, you're still eating animal, not even animal products, just strait up animal flesh.

The whole extremist puritanical aspect of it gets me the most... this whole thing of eating = base/low, and that the less variety you eat, the purer you are... really, I hate that mentality. Vegan can be healthy (though there are plenty of vegans who aren't because of BS like this convincing them they don't need to care about getting enough protein etc) and I respect veganism and vegetarianism as ethical choices (even though I'm an omnivore) - anything to the right of vegan on that diagram is nutritionally inadequate. Yet is presented as pure and superior, and the more nutritionally inadequate, the more superior its seen to be, because they are basically presenting the idea that food and eating is bad, and that food is toxic (like the bit where it says just eating one kind of fruit only for weeks at a time further detoxes the body). That is really so utterly wrong on so many levels.
  • QueenBishOTUniverse
    Options

The whole extremist puritanical aspect of it gets me the most... this whole thing of eating = base/low, and that the less variety you eat, the purer you are... really, I hate that mentality. Vegan can be healthy (though there are plenty of vegans who aren't because of BS like this convincing them they don't need to care about getting enough protein etc) and I respect veganism and vegetarianism as ethical choices (even though I'm an omnivore) - anything to the right of vegan on that diagram is nutritionally inadequate. Yet is presented as pure and superior, and the more nutritionally inadequate, the more superior its seen to be, because they are basically presenting the idea that food and eating is bad, and that food is toxic (like the bit where it says just eating one kind of fruit only for weeks at a time further detoxes the body). That is really so utterly wrong on so many levels.

No I totally understand what you're saying, unfortunately, someone who is susceptible to that kind of thinking is likely going to find some form of extremist doctrine to adhere to a. because it tells them what to do, and b. because it allows them to believe they have found THE ANSWER. And I have yet to encounter any form of extremist doctrine that was not in some way hazardous, although I will admit this may be one that eliminates it's followers rather faster than others..... And the cynical part of my brain just makes a nod to Darwin when that happens....
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    What in the hell is a breatharian diet?
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Forget it!

Lol, I just looked it up.

Every time I think people cannot get any dumber, they prove me wrong!

Breatharian diet. For Christ's sake.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options

It's because it's a beautiful idea: To not have to take life, even plant life, to live.

Of such beautiful ideas are entire religions made.

But on the other side of the coin, of such beautiful ideas are scientific advancements made sometimes, too.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

It's because it's a beautiful idea: To not have to take life, even plant life, to live.

But on the other side of the coin, of such beautiful ideas are scientific advancements made sometimes, too.

I wouldn't put breatharianism in the same category as religion... well, maybe the same category as scientology.. I'd classify it as charlatans taking advantage of the mentally unstable. Scientology is an out and out scam. I'm not sure with the breatharian gurus how much of it is self-delusion and how much of it is charlatanism. Probably some gurus are one, some are the other. One of the experiments of breatharianism, the guru undergoing the experiment seemed to have a systematic way of cheating the scientists monitoring him. The one who made the excuse about air pollution is possibly self-deluded. The self-deluded ones probably have binge eating episodes which they feel guilty about and hide out of shame (which is extremely sad that they'd feel that way about giving nourishment to their body!!) but which ultimately sustains them.

The whole situation is really sad.
  • MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options

That's not a "beautiful idea", it's just plain out and out f'ing stupid. If you don't take life, even plant life, you are dead. Stupid. I raise meat for the table, have all my life, grow a large organic garden, and you can bet I have no trouble taking life to stay alive myself. All animals do this.
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    UPDATE: I had a major diet fail. My breatharian diet only lasted a few hours. Like sometime after breakfast until lunch at Lonnie Rays BBQ. I did not need my breatharian cheat meal of a cigar. I still have that in my golf bag humidor in case of emergency.