Hypothyroid...need advice...not losing and frustrated

Options
I need some advice, tips, suggestions etc of things to try and would love to know what things that worked for you to lose weight.

Back story, beginning of 2012 I was eating 1200-1300 calories a day and working out 4-5 times a week for 30-45 minutes and didn't lose anything. In May 2012 I upped my calories to 1500 and ended up losing 9 pounds that month. It then took about 9 months to lose another 10 pounds. During this time I was fighting hypo symptoms and didn't actually start medication until the beginning of 2013. In the spring of 2013 I started on Armour, 60 mg and have been feeling MUCH better. After losing the 19 pounds I couldn't lose anymore (I had been eating 1600 calories consistently for freaking ever!) Starting last June I started gaining it all back. Speed up to now...I have been eating 1600 calories and not losing. I work out 5 days a week and burn 350-400 calories per session and once or twice a week up to 800 calories when I do yard work. On days when I add in yard work or do anything active above my normal 30-35 minute workouts I am DEAD the rest of the day.

I'm 5'6" and weight 193lbs. Supposedly my BMR is 1600 according to various online calculators. I'm so frustrated with not being able to lose and feeling like I'm working so hard. I had read about weight training and how that is supposed to help. I'm not able to go to a gym, but I do Jillian Michaels' dvds and am almost through the Body Revolution. I have definitely gotten stronger and am able to do moves that I never could attempt before. My arms have actually gotten slightly bigger through this process, which is infuriating and cool at the same time cause I'm much stronger. But I want to lose...not gain.

Any ideas???

Replies

• cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Bump
  • BeginningAgainMay14
    BeginningAgainMay14 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    The first thing you need to do is go back to your doctor. Your levels can change over time. I'm now at quadruple the dose of levothyroxine that I started at.

Secondly, weigh and measure everything you eat to make sure you are counting calories correctly. Thirdly, be aware that as you're gaining muscle, the scale may stall out for a bit while your body adapts.

Also, eat iodine rich foods. That can help with hypothyroidism. That would include fish, milk, yogurt, eggs, and strawberries.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    For the most part, my thyroid problems ended when I finally got diagnosed, had the thing removed and began taking the pills.

Before that, the nightmare never ended.

It took a while to get the levels and myself all in line. Kept upping the dosage. Once it happened, I was able to lose. I might not lose as quickly or easily as some, but I can do it and haven't yo-yoed at all. I consider myself a lucky woman, indeed.

My advice is to go see the doctor. Bring your food diary and your weight charts. Tell them what you've been feeling. See what they say.

For all we know, you could need a medication adjustment. Hard to say. Rule out medical issues before you start making major changes.

I know what it is like to practically starve yourself and exercise and see no progress. I also know that, sometimes, it can be fixed. :)
  • cari4jc1
    cari4jc1 Posts: 233
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have a food scale that I use to measure meats so I know what I'm getting. I guess I need to start weighing more things than just meat to be sure.

I don't have insurance so going to the doctor requires some saving. :/ But I do plan on going sooner rather than later. I'm
    Starting to see that I need to get my levels checked again.
  • irleshay
    irleshay Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Dosage adjustment was my first thought too. It sounds like everything else you're doing is right, and the blood test will tell you if your levels are staying where they should be. I've been taking Synthroid for about 10 years and the same dosage has worked all along, but I won't be surprised if that changes one day. Good luck!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease), and take Synthroid (T4) & Cytomel (T3). The meds reduce my fatigue, so I'm more active. But even on the meds I kept gaining until I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly.

The advice in the Sexypants post worked for me: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

MFP has two thyroid groups:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/770-hypothyroidism-and-hyperthyroidism
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/51427-butterfly-chasers
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I have a food scale that I use to measure meats so I know what I'm getting. I guess I need to start weighing more things than just meat to be sure.

I don't have insurance so going to the doctor requires some saving. :/ But I do plan on going sooner rather than later. I'm
    Starting to see that I need to get my levels checked again.
    If you live near a major city, most have free clinics where you can be treated.

Thyroids have huge effects on weight gain and loss, but that isn't all they affect. The weight stuff is really more a symptom than the problem.

If you have a problem, you should have it treated if it's at all possible.
  • soralepark
    soralepark Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I never had good results on the Armour. The fatigue and cold hands/feet disappeared on Synthroid (generic). Only when my MD combined the Synthroid with Cytomel did the weight begin coming off.
  • xenu01
    xenu01 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS, too, so this might not apply, but here is what has worked for me:
    1) I listen to my body. I know people on these forums seem to exercise every single day, but when I have one of those afternoons where walking home from the train station feels like pushing one leaden foot in front of the other, I am not going to try and go to the gym. Instead, I'll go home, rest for an hour and have a quick snack (I've been making these fig/date/nut butter/coconut balls lately) and then I'll take a long, leisurely walk. Sometimes the best thing to do is just get outside and be active.

2) Everyone will tell you something different, but I've been using synthetic thyroid for years (Levothroxine) and it's been fine. Also tons cheaper, and I'm on the poor side (my gym belongs to my alma mater and thank goodness they let me use it for free).

3) I'm still fighting this battle, but caffeine is not our friend. Even though it seems like it. I tend to get my fatigue in the late morning and also the afternoon. Caffeine makes it 10x worse because I'm also crashing from that. ESPECIALLY caffeine that comes with sugar in it.

4) Be patient with yourself! Sometimes I go on these forums and get so frustrated, because it has taken me a YEAR to lose a mere 40 lbs, but I have kept it off, and I feel better and better every day. It may take you a long time to lose the weight, but you will learn how to maintain as you go, and that is the most important thing of all.

5) I have never set my weight loss goal above 1 lb a week. I don't think that my body will actually let it happen, and even though it feels like it's taking forever, it's happening pretty steadily. I actually do .5 to .75 most times.

6) Oh! One more thing! Vary your workouts. Get a couple of cheap weights at like, Ross or whatever and look up some easy free weight exercises. Do some pilates. Again, still figuring it out, but it seems to help to keep my body on its toes. Currently, I'm working on trying to run a very slow mile and also do real pushups.

Finally: To be honest, you might be putting too much strain on your body, and it might be fighting back a little. What if you tried working out a little less or a little less hard? Of course, it's your body and you know it best, but when I tried to do 10,000 steps a day, etc, it didn't really do anything for me except make me tired.

I'm still learning! But I hope this helped. Good luck to you!
  • Reedern
    Reedern Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Bump... getting my thyroid checked Friday! I have many of the symptoms associated with Hypothyroid and it also runs heavily in my Mom's family.
  • lyn_2013
    lyn_2013 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, I can totally relate to what you're going through because I am also hypothyroidic. If you look at my profile, you can clearly see that I work out like a beast and sometimes I can go 2 weeks without any weight loss. Its really hard, but with all this, I have to keep fighting, because its clear that no one will do it for me. I will say you have to go to the doctor and have your meds adjusted. I started at 30mcg and I am now at 150mcg. Hope this helps...Don't give up, keep fighting....it will take long, but you will win in the end