CANNOT FREAKING WELL STOP EATING!!!

Options
The hell is wrong with me???

I have no self control. No willpower. Help. :'(

Replies

• jenniferpark01
    jenniferpark01 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I have been feeling the same way! I blame bread and sugar. It was a holiday weekend so I indulged and now my body is like, "You are hungry, eat pizza." So I just have to fight it, drink plenty of water and tell my body I am going to eat lean proteins and veggies - no more breads or refined sugars. In a day or two, it will pass.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    What's your current weight? current activity level? current calorie goal?

A lot of people set their calorie goal too low, then get mega hungry and end up with rebound overeating. You need to rule that out as a cause before you decide that you lack willpower.
  • soidade
    soidade Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that, unless you're doing a low-carb diet, it's okay to eat pizza in moderation. You just have to plan for it.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat. No self control whatsoever.:sad:
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to point out that, unless you're doing a low-carb diet, it's okay to eat pizza in moderation. You just have to plan for it.

High five! In fact I'm off to get pizza and gelato.
  • mxmkenney
    mxmkenney Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I have been grazing non-stop for the last few days. I don't know what's gotten into me either (besides loads of extra calories...) Need to get my self-control back!!!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "healthy" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

I find I'm less hungry when I use MFP's protein & fiber goals as minimums, and ignore fat & carbs. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

And the Sexypants link posted above should be required reading for everyone: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    FWIW, a lot of women to have increased appetites during certain times of their cycles, notable ovulation or TOM. If it's been lasting for a long time, that wouldn't explain it, but if it's just been for the last few days, take a look at your calendar :wink:

It's okay to eat a bit more (slightly lower deficit to maintenance) for a day or two when this happens, if it helps you feel better/more in control.

[I also completely agree with the other statements of making sure your deficit isn't too large, etc]
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You don't need self control, and you shouldn't stop eating. That's a severely outdated approach. Just figure out what and how much to eat, follow that plan and add some exercise if you like. It's very simple and easy.
  • Birder155
    Birder155 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    For me, if I don't keep busy, I tend to gravitate towards the fridge and cupboards. When I keep myself occupied, I don't even think about food but rather focus on the activity. Boredom is not my friend.

That and trying to eat at too high of a deficit sets me up to overeat. I'm still working on trying to find the right level of calories to both lose weight and be satisfied physically and emotionally. I'm having trouble with that because my impatience gets to me and I want to lose all the excess by tomorrow. (figure of speech, of course.)

One of the things I try to do on top of being busy is to read the success stories here. One thing that most have in common is that they ALL had bad days like this but ALL stuck with it and just kept going till the end.

Don't give up! Keep trying and trying and trying!

You'll find what works for you if you stick with it.
  • Sebismom
    Sebismom Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I totally understand this. Sorry you feel so out of control. Is this a long term or short term thing? Not sure if you're looking for advice or commiseration. I work from home and kept finding myself in the kitchen, eating tons of fattening stuff. I decided to start following Michael Pollan's (journalist who tracks food industry, among other topics) advice for non-meal grazing/snacking. "If you're hungry, eat an apple. If you don't want an apple, then you aren't hungry." Turns out most of the time I wasn't hungry, just bored or anxious. This is going to sound very new agey, but if you can find a way to honor yourself, and your goals, you will make those goals a reality. But it's a daily, sometimes hourly, process. I've lost eleven pounds following this advice (six since joining MFP), and each day offers challenges. Good luck.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options
    You don't need self control, and you shouldn't stop eating. That's a severely outdated approach. Just figure out what and how much to eat, follow that plan and add some exercise if you like. It's very simple and easy.

You have me very curious. What is this updated approach that doesn't require self control? I get the " figure out what and how much to eat, follow that plan and add some exercise if you like. It's very simple and easy." But how do you address people that binge eat or have cravings? I'm curious how you deal with those things without learning self control and to moderate what you are eating.
  • kommodevaran
    Options

You have me very curious. What is this updated approach that doesn't require self control? I get the " figure out what and how much to eat, follow that plan and add some exercise if you like. It's very simple and easy." But how do you address people that binge eat or have cravings? I'm curious how you deal with those things without learning self control and to moderate what you are eating.
    Thank you for asking! I have suffered from obsessive eating, emotional eating and suger addiction for most of my adult life. A few years ago I lost about 20 kilos, and in the process I noticed that the cravings receded as I ate less and healthier. I tried to eat "as healthy as possible", but that was quite bland and boring. Lots of "reduced" foodstuff. I couldn't keep that up afterwards, and the weight increased. I lived off chocolate bars and chips. I was malnourished and starving, and always hungry for more of the same.

This time around I am losing the same amount of weight, but my approach is different. I make and eat the most delicious and tasty food I can, while sticking to my calorie budget. Full fat and full taste, but a little bit less. I eat 5 meals of varied and natural food every day, use portion control and train myself to wait for the feeling of satiety that I know I will get 20-30 minutes after I've eaten. I feel satisfied and relaxed and energized.

Environment control is important. I don't surround myself with temptations more than necessary. I don't keep lots of trigger food at home, and I don't linger in front of the candy racks in the supermarket.

Sometimes I want chocolate. If I have room for it, I will have some, if not, it's no big deal, because I don't feel that I have to have it, and I know that I can eat it within a few days, if I want to. The amount I eat is just enough make me to feel that I have indulged, but not over-indulged. I have a "threshold" that I feel I shouldn't pass, it will spiral me into a binge, and I don't want that.

Losing and maintaining takes determination, yes, but willpower and self control is a limited resource. With determination we can reprogram our brain, willpower just makes it tired. Habits are things we do without thinking, and that's easy. We can create new habits. New habits can be good for us, or bad. It's up to us to choose.
  • gypsy_spirit
    gypsy_spirit Posts: 2,107 Member
    Options

Thank you for asking! I have suffered from obsessive eating, emotional eating and suger addiction for most of my adult life. A few years ago I lost about 20 kilos, and in the process I noticed that the cravings receded as I ate less and healthier. I tried to eat "as healthy as possible", but that was quite bland and boring. Lots of "reduced" foodstuff. I couldn't keep that up afterwards, and the weight increased. I lived off chocolate bars and chips. I was malnourished and starving, and always hungry for more of the same.

This time around I am losing the same amount of weight, but my approach is different. I make and eat the most delicious and tasty food I can, while sticking to my calorie budget. Full fat and full taste, but a little bit less. I eat 5 meals of varied and natural food every day, use portion control and train myself to wait for the feeling of satiety that I know I will get 20-30 minutes after I've eaten. I feel satisfied and relaxed and energized.

Environment control is important. I don't surround myself with temptations more than necessary. I don't keep lots of trigger food at home, and I don't linger in front of the candy racks in the supermarket.

Sometimes I want chocolate. If I have room for it, I will have some, if not, it's no big deal, because I don't feel that I have to have it, and I know that I can eat it within a few days, if I want to. The amount I eat is just enough make me to feel that I have indulged, but not over-indulged. I have a "threshold" that I feel I shouldn't pass, it will spiral me into a binge, and I don't want that.

Losing and maintaining takes determination, yes, but willpower and self control is a limited resource. With determination we can reprogram our brain, willpower just makes it tired. Habits are things we do without thinking, and that's easy. We can create new habits. New habits can be good for us, or bad. It's up to us to choose.

I also meet my calories and macros each day. I eat about 80% really healthy foods and 20% I leave for treats, etc. Had I ever lived off chocolate bars, I would have been miserable and unhealthy too. I'm glad you were able to move on from that.

Retraining your brain is exactly what I did as well. But it did indeed take self control. It takes self control to not bring things into the house that you don't need. It takes self control to stop eating and wait for that feeling of satiety. It takes self control to walk by treats in the store, not eat all the chocolate when you only have the calories for a piece, or eat more than your calories allow of any foods.

Self control is just the ability to control your emotions, desires, or actions. Unless and until we learn how to be in control of ourselves around food - we won't have lasting weight loss success. While I tend to agree with a lot of your post - I suppose we will disagree on terminology.

Self control has energized me. When I stop after eating my serving of ice cream - I feel an awesome sense of power. When I don't go crazy and binge on food at a party - I feel empowered. Self control probably was the most important thing that I have learned.
  • kommodevaran
    Options
    I also meet my calories and macros each day. I eat about 80% really healthy foods and 20% I leave for treats, etc. Had I ever lived off chocolate bars, I would have been miserable and unhealthy too. I'm glad you were able to move on from that.

Retraining your brain is exactly what I did as well. But it did indeed take self control. It takes self control to not bring things into the house that you don't need. It takes self control to stop eating and wait for that feeling of satiety. It takes self control to walk by treats in the store, not eat all the chocolate when you only have the calories for a piece, or eat more than your calories allow of any foods.

Self control is just the ability to control your emotions, desires, or actions. Unless and until we learn how to be in control of ourselves around food - we won't have lasting weight loss success. While I tend to agree with a lot of your post - I suppose we will disagree on terminology.

Self control has energized me. When I stop after eating my serving of ice cream - I feel an awesome sense of power. When I don't go crazy and binge on food at a party - I feel empowered. Self control probably was the most important thing that I have learned.
    I guess what you call self control is what I call determination, and I see that we have many experiences in common. What I think of as self control and willpower, is what I need in those acute situations when the amygdala (feelings, desire) gets into a fight with the frontal lobe (reasoning, long term planning). I want to avoid that as much as possible, because it is very unpleasant and stressful. If the lobe wins, I feel proud, but sometimes also sick and drained.
  • dakotababy
    dakotababy Posts: 2,406 Member
    Options
    Often uncontrollable urges to eat are linked to emotions. How are you feeling right now? List all of the feelings. These feelings are your triggers. You must learn to acknowledge emotions and realize you are trying to cope with food.

Some of mine are Boredom, anxiety, anger/frustration, loneliness (big one).
  • shapefitter
    shapefitter Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    3 scotch eggs
    1 tikka chicken pastry slice
    1 sausage roll
    Pack of Dairylea slices
    Huge pasta pot (MEGA-calorific)
    4 chocolate bars.

FORTUNATELY I haven't binged like that in a fair while.

As for 'odd' food... Alligator. Kinda fishy-tastin...

If this is your idea of a 'binge' and for someone who also claims to be a vegetarian, I find this thread to be a little strange....
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    No one can help you but yourself. Sorry. To claim yo have no willpower at all is a cop-out, unfortunately.

Obviously you DO have will power. Everyone has SOME. You have the willpower to not slap someone when they're being obnoxious, you have the willpower to get out of bed and go to work even if you're tired and don't feel like it, you have the willpower to go to an event or family function you'd rather not go to, you have the willpower to hold your bladder until the bathroom opens up, rather than peeing on the floor.

Curbing cravings and regulating your diet is no different. It may take some practice, but the only way to strengthen any skill or muscle is to exercise it. Refusing to use it and claiming you can't do it is the fastest and surest way to fail. Take control, keep at it, and don't let a bad day or two let you give up.
  • cgoodwinjr
    cgoodwinjr Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I went to a party today and did very well controlling my portions. Unfortunately, I forgot that I am lactose intolerant and ate pizza and Mexican dip with cheese! My stomach quickly reminded me!

Myfitnesspal says I should only eat 1500 calories. That seems crazy. I am training for my third marathon. I have a feeling I need to eat around 2000 calories.