Thinking about starting Weight Watchers...any advice??

Options

Replies

• handbagfan
    handbagfan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Hi,
    I was a member with WW Pro Points (and still). I reached a plateau for quiet some time became disheartened and fell off the wagon. I found this fab site whilst looking for a calorie counting app. Been on here almost 2 months and absolutely love it. :bigsmile: :love: It keeps me motivated via my friends on here although I do have "bad" days. I'm not saying don't do WW but I find this easier, supportive, informative and above all fun. I have lost weight again and hope to continue the scales moving to lower figures LOL :tongue: Good luck on your journey which ever you choose to follow XX
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Several years ago, I tried WW for a couple of months. I was somewhat successful - lost about 10lbs, but I didn't like the idea of paying almost $50/mo to listen to the group leaders sell the latest WW products and foods to be found at the grocery store. I also didn't like that fact that I was merely putting a "point value" on food. I wasn't learning anything about nutrition, making better food choices and the physical aspect of health (exercise for fitness) was sorely lacking. As for the "group support" aspect of WW, MFP has that beaten hands down!!

I have lost an average of 3lbs/mo during my time on MFP. For free. I love spending that $50/mo on my gym membership and cute workout clothing. :wink:
  • veggieluvr45
    veggieluvr45 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I personally, think MFP is better.

It's free :)
    It at least gives you an idea of the macros you should be hitting rather than eating a packet of biscuits for your dinner because you have the 'points' to do so.

This is true. I like to see my ratio of carbs/fat/protein etc. and I like to keep my sodium levels in check . You can do all that here (for free), can't do it on Weight Watchers. They do stress eating within healthy guidelines but all you can keep track of is points.
  • dianad0205
    Options
    I went to the store and got a few things today along with some WW meals...im planning on just counting the calories through MFP and not using the point system.What is the ideal calorie intake?
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,039 Member
    Options
    I can get the point for some people in joining real life WW instead of MFP - namely the support and encouragment of real people at meetings in your local area - that group support thing does work well for some people and the social aspect of doing things together and motivating each other and learning tips specific to your local area - like low calorie options at local eateries.

However cant see any advantage to online WW vs MFP - both systems work well if you follow them properly and both are long term sensible eating plans, not silly fad ideas - but the system here is free and the forum provides online support and social community.
  • danofthedead1979
    danofthedead1979 Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    my advice is that you dont need to pay ayone to manage a healthy lifestyle. you can, with support and informed knowledge from a great community, do it yourself on here for free.
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    My friend used WW and lost quite a bit of weight -- I'm sure you would as well, if you're honest about it, since any diet plan that reduces calories will help you to lose weight. However, WW is more complicated than necessary (points are just a roundabout way of tracking calories). It also costs money. Why not just use MFP?
  • andreahanlon
    andreahanlon Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I lost 25 pounds using Weight Watchers in 2009 and still have kept the weight off. I don't know anything about their new points system (I count calories now), but they have a lot of good information in addition to food advice - like using visualization techniques, changing your environment to be successful, utilizing group support, etc. I think it is good to try for that information at least. I only went to the meetings for 4 months - but I'm glad I did it!
  • CarlyBrynn85
    CarlyBrynn85 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I did Weight Watchers on my own.. just used the free tools online (calculator, recipes, etc) and I had great success. I hit a plateau so I joined MFP so I could start exercising/tracking.
  • dianad0205
    Options
    when it comes to exercising (doing cardio) a few times a week,how many calories should i eat since some of that would be burned off through excercising?I will be using MFP to count my calories,im not doing the points system
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    have you set up your MFP stuff yet? it gives you a calorie allotment - i use sedentary even though that's no longer the case, btw.
  • WW_Jude_V2
    WW_Jude_V2 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Copy/pasting my response from another WW thread:

Weight Watchers worked miracles for me. I didn't consider it expensive as I stopped putting out extra money for crappy food and instead directed that cash towards my monthly WW cost.

Once I lost all my excess weight and was able to maintain, Weight Watchers was free to attend.

I don't know too much about the new Point Plus system as I was a member in the old days where fruit had points attached, and most, but not all, veggies were 0.

I did Point tracking and MFP together for the first couple of weeks here but discovered that MFP was quite a bit easier and I could monitor my specific intake a lot better. I learned how to eat what I considered quality foods on WW and MFP helped me see that I'm on the right track.

I think pretty much anything will work as long as you're eating what your body needs and it doesn't feel like a burden to keep it up.
  • chilly1470
    chilly1470 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Weight watchers is just a complicated form of counting calories. Why not cut out the middleman and use mfp which is freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee????????????????????????

Thank you! Exactly, and by cutting out the middleman you also save $$ so you can buy food to eat properly and maybe a membership at a gym, or a bike, or a treadmill etc.
  • lilcancun
    lilcancun Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I did WW but I really like MFP and I think it will do you more justice than WW. I also invested in the fitbit which helps calculate your steps. I use MFP to keep track of my food and Fitbit for my steps and between the two it has been working out great... I believe in eating what your use to, it will be much easier in the end. Good luck..
  • Imadorkable
    Imadorkable Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I lost 70 lbs on WW about 6 years ago and then I gained it back. Over the last year or so I tried to start it back up but kept quitting. That is when I checked out this program and I think it is a lot easier. Overall when comparing the WW points to my calories they are pretty similar. I like this website better because it is free, I don't have to attend meetings, and I have daily support. Overall, either one is great. It just depends on how you prefer to keep track of everything.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    OP you asked how much you should be eating and what's the best calorie intake. Please read the links provided they will help you determine that amount for you...
  • NessaR2011
    NessaR2011 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I don't have any experience with WW but I have a long standing relationship with MFP. I find that I have an amazing support system here and so many outlets of information in the forums. Everyone is generally helpful and I would recommend this site not only because it's FREE but it helped me get healthy. I know my ticker doesn't represent it but MFP helped me lose 140lbs from my highest weight and it probably saved my life. There's my sales pitch. =)
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    the meals have too much sodium
    and its a waste of money
    eat right and exercise and use my fitness pal
  • Jinnie69
    Jinnie69 Posts: 22
    Options
    Keep trying different things till you find what works, not giving up is the most important thing. I thought about WW to keep myself in balance, but decided to just start logging here. Illness and extreme pain has keep me on the couch for the last 6 months, and I gained 15 of the 55 libs I lost back. Stopping myself here and getting back on track. Taking today to warm up to this and prepare.
  • Cindyloo01
    Cindyloo01 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I lost weight on WW a long time back. I lost 80 lbs. It really helped and they had a lot of good information. I learned a lot about eating right and how much of what to eat, what to eat to stay full and some really good recipes. It helped me stay accountable by being weighed every week. The leader that was there was very motivating too. I have tried going back again recently but it just didn't click like it had before. I think finding a leader that keeps you inspired helps. You should go in and give it a trial run first before deciding, that way you will know if it is right for you or not. You don't have to eat the WW food, unless you want to.