Measurements

Hey guys! I wear a size 8 but my hips measurement doesn't seem to match. I am a 38.5" bust (D), 29" waist, and 41.5" hips. How can I fit into all size 8s? I'm a pear body type I think. I am 5 foot 5 and 3/4 so 5 foot 6 basically and I weigh 153 lb.. I'm just confused how my 41.5 inch hips could fit into a size 8! My waist is a size 8 but not my hips. Additionally, when I was thinner (what I am trying to get back to, gained so much weight because I had a binge eating disorder) I had a 27" waist and 39" hips but I fit into a size 4 and weighed 127-133 pounds. Help! I'm so baffled!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    some reasons

- different stores have different measurements from sizes, so a size 8 in one store might be a size 10 in another, or a size 6 in a 3rd.

- maybe the measurements dont account for stretch

- where you're measuring is not the same place the manufacturera are measuring

- is there a squeeze factor? :wink: for instance tecnically i can squeeze into a pair of size 12 jeans and walk around in them, but honestly i should be in a size 14
  • Thanks for the info! But no I fit into all size 8s. And no I fit in 8s comfortably. Also, I thought Abercrombie and Hollister ran small too! It's confusing! Also, I am pretty positive I am measuring the right place. It's so weird and confusing!
  • blushpeonies
    blushpeonies Posts: 101 Member
    huh - my hips are about the same - and i can just get into a size 14 in Gap's dress slacks - what the frick? LOL
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    sounds about right to me...what's your concern? should be smaller or bigger than 8s?

Sizing in clothes these days is a huge mess. I have pants from 0 to 8 and they all fit...personally I don't think AF's pants on the small side but their tops are.

Using ultra stretching fabric is another factor causing this confusion...

Nobody knows you wear 0 or 8 as long as you are happy with your own look~
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    one thing that might "help" you understand your size is try on those dress pants, like by Theory or Banana Republic.
  • mactaffy84
    mactaffy84 Posts: 398 Member
    I'm baffled by the topic.....why is this confusing? Who cares what size you wear, unless, perhaps, you wear your clothes inside out and let the world know what it is?

What are you really asking? Or wanting? Help me to understand!
  • I'm a 28 inch waist, 40.2 inch hips, and 23.5 thighs. Can anyone give me their best tips to lose an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips, and an inch off my thighs in a week? It's for back to school. I've being doing tons of walking/jogging/running on my treadmill on 0 incline (since I hear that won't build up muscle, since I already have a lot :( ), blogilates inner thigh insanity and saddlebag shaver 5 times a week, and abs. I am also occasionally going on the elliptical and keeping a strict diet...I'm trying to do a 10 day water cleanse! I hear it is very good for you. Any extra tips? They'd be much appreciated. Thanks :)
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,756 Member
    I'm a 28 inch waist, 40.2 inch hips, and 23.5 thighs. Can anyone give me their best tips to lose an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips, and an inch off my thighs in a week? It's for back to school. I've being doing tons of walking/jogging/running on my treadmill on 0 incline (since I hear that won't build up muscle, since I already have a lot :( ), blogilates inner thigh insanity and saddlebag shaver 5 times a week, and abs. I am also occasionally going on the elliptical and keeping a strict diet...I'm trying to do a 10 day water cleanse! I hear it is very good for you. Any extra tips? They'd be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Eat food, don't go on a water cleanse (seriously?) and relax. :ohwell:
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    Hey guys! I wear a size 8 but my hips measurement doesn't seem to match. I am a 38.5" bust (D), 29" waist, and 41.5" hips. How can I fit into all size 8s? I'm a pear body type I think. I am 5 foot 5 and 3/4 so 5 foot 6 basically and I weigh 153 lb.. I'm just confused how my 41.5 inch hips could fit into a size 8! My waist is a size 8 but not my hips. Additionally, when I was thinner (what I am trying to get back to, gained so much weight because I had a binge eating disorder) I had a 27" waist and 39" hips but I fit into a size 4 and weighed 127-133 pounds. Help! I'm so baffled!

I understand your confusion. A lot of it has to do with whether it's junior sizing, or women's sizing.
    I have a 31" natural waist, and 42.5 inch hips -- I bought a pair of size 8 capris today, and they fit. Little snug across the belly, but no problems doing it up or anything.

It depends on the store, their sizing, the style of the pants, so on. Take it as an NSV say woo hoo, and be happy!
  • 365andstillalive
    365andstillalive Posts: 663 Member
    I'm a 28 inch waist, 40.2 inch hips, and 23.5 thighs. Can anyone give me their best tips to lose an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips, and an inch off my thighs in a week? It's for back to school. I've being doing tons of walking/jogging/running on my treadmill on 0 incline (since I hear that won't build up muscle, since I already have a lot :( ), blogilates inner thigh insanity and saddlebag shaver 5 times a week, and abs. I am also occasionally going on the elliptical and keeping a strict diet...I'm trying to do a 10 day water cleanse! I hear it is very good for you. Any extra tips? They'd be much appreciated. Thanks :)

Research your BMR, eat it.
    Accept that you won't lose the type of weight or inches you want in the span of like a week; think more like 3-6 months.
    You can not spot reduce.
    Become realistic about your body size and type as well; you're a pear shape based on the two measurements you gave, meaning that you will always carry your extra weight in your hips, butt and thighs.
    Rejoice as many people find that attractive.
  • rgbmore
    rgbmore Posts: 85 Member
    A lot of people are saying "who cares" etc...
    The only relevant reason to have your measurements match your pants size etc is if you want to order anything from online.
    (Which is a pain!)
  • rosebette
    rosebette Posts: 1,659 Member
    Vanity sizing.... I like shopping at the Gap now because they sell pants by actual waist size, so I can see that I've gone from a 28 to a 27.

I have everything from a 4 to an 11/12 in pants in my closet, and they all fit.

But here's the thing -- my mom, who is tinier than I am used to be a size 10 in the 1960s. Now, she is a 6 or an 8. I have two vintage dresses from the 50s early 60s, and they are both size 12s. I'm a 36 27 37. When they say Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, she was size 14 in 1950s sizes, not the sizes we have now. She probably would be about a size 8 nowadays.
  • Joannah700
    Joannah700 Posts: 2,665 Member
    Vanity sizing.... I like shopping at the Gap now because they sell pants by actual waist size, so I can see that I've gone from a 28 to a 27.

I have everything from a 4 to an 11/12 in pants in my closet, and they all fit.

But here's the thing -- my mom, who is tinier than I am used to be a size 10 in the 1960s. Now, she is a 6 or an 8. I have two vintage dresses from the 50s early 60s, and they are both size 12s. I'm a 36 27 37. When they say Marilyn Monroe was a size 14, she was size 14 in 1950s sizes, not the sizes we have now. She probably would be about a size 8 nowadays.

Ditto on this. I have size 4 skirts and dresses and own size 12 slacks. I have jeans in 30, 29 and 28.

Clothing is not created equal.

You want to lose some inches? It will take time. Buy a super flattering dress and heels and no one is going to notice an 'extra' inch ...well, they will if you add it on the heels. :wink:
  • RonnieLodge
    RonnieLodge Posts: 665 Member
    I'm a 28 inch waist, 40.2 inch hips, and 23.5 thighs. Can anyone give me their best tips to lose an inch off my waist, an inch off my hips, and an inch off my thighs in a week? It's for back to school........I'm trying to do a 10 day water cleanse! I hear it is very good for you. Any extra tips? They'd be much appreciated. Thanks :)

:laugh:

:noway:

If you want to 'match' your hips to your size 8 waist, go online and check out all the different sizing guides for clothes shops. Find one that matches your measurements (although it may not be a size 8).

Depending on where in the world you are getting the clothes from, sizes and the measurements assigned to those sizes vary wildly.