What's easier for you? Diet or exercise? Also, have you adju

Options
For me, working out is the easiest. I can go 4 times a week to a VERY INTENSE bootcamp-like class. Diet? Holy. I suck at it sooo bad. I cannot for the life of me get a hang of sticking to a healthy diet plan!

Also, I've only lost about 10lbs in the last however long. But I've dropped 2 pants sizes! I used to shoulder press 8lbs, and now, no joke, I can shoulder press 30-35.

This is making me want to readjust me GW. At first I was going for 140, but now, I'm not so sure the number has to be that low, because of the muscles!

Would love you hear your thoughts!

Replies

• nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    I'm told an exercise focus is best, but for me, it has always been easiest to diet first. of course, I have yet to maintain a desired weight. so take it for what it's worth.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I cannot diet and exercise at the same time.

I have to diet first, THEN exercise when I reach a goal. That's how I've always been...since I lost 40 pounds in High School.

From my experience, the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose. I plateaued for months for those last 10 pounds.
  • colochel
    colochel Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Dieting is easier for me. I have a tremendous amount of will power, I am learning. Except when it comes to pushing myself to sweat! I always feel good AFTER working out... it's just getting to that point. Haha.
  • Scarletblue
    Options
    I agree I can work out with out a problem, but eatting is another story and it really gets to me to because when I started this last year I was really into it, but once I moved and going through the drive thru was easier when I couldn't find my pans ( that I didn't really look for) stopping the habit of convienence is a pain in the butt. I wish I never started it up again.
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I dieted first but because I couldn't actually physically workout. As I lost weight I felt better and was able to start working out. It was awesome! Now having experienced both I could see both sides. Diet was easy as a sick person being able to control it. If you have a busy schedule and not much time for working out I can see diet being easier too. However exercise is faaaantabulous! I was trying to loose my last five pounds and ended up loosing 3 inches around my hips because of my exercising. Its awesome! I keep track of both though and I think since I had a good base in the healthy eating aspect its fairly easy for me. But I love knowing I can workout and add calories, feel energized and be accomplished!
  • TaraMaria
    TaraMaria Posts: 1,975
    Options
    I cannot diet and exercise at the same time.

I have to diet first, THEN exercise when I reach a goal. That's how I've always been...since I lost 40 pounds in High School.

From my experience, the last 10 pounds are the hardest to lose. I plateaued for months for those last 10 pounds.

The last ten pounds was basically when I started working out hardcore. They just fell off!
  • Pedro_Infante
    Pedro_Infante Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Definitely exercise! I love to workout! Grr!!!
  • katherines2230
    katherines2230 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Neither is easier for me. I've been awful at making healthy diet choices since having my baby because I use pregnancy and breastfeeding as an excuse to eat any and everything. When it comes to exercise, it KILLS me to do even a 10 minute aerobic workout. I have to start them both at the same time and start out slowly. For example, I've cut down on the sodas and juice I drink, I'm eating leaner meats cutting out the fast food/fried stuff. I joined the gym last week and am known for paying for memberships but not going so I made a promise to myself that I had to go at least 4 times a week for 30 minutes or more. Slow and steady wins the race!
  • nilisabel
    nilisabel Posts: 338
    Options
    @pedroswar: dude, those boxing rodents are hysterical. i'm totally jealous of your ticker.
  • fwitsy
    fwitsy Posts: 4
    Options
    I've found that dieting is 'easier', at least for me, because when I work out a lot I let my hunger take over and I end up eating WAY more calories than I burned!
    However, I've also found that if I can reasonably control my food intake, exercise is much better for a long term weight loss, while dieting is better for losing weight but not necessarily fat. Working out gains muscle! Great job being so dedicated! :)
  • MsMonny
    MsMonny Posts: 183
    Options
    Definately dieting is easier, just can't seem to get motivated with exercise.

On the bright side I have heard that it is 90% food and 10% exercise....if you don't eat right then no amount of exercise (or a hell of a lot) will make you lose weight.
  • GingerKid
    Options

On the bright side I have heard that it is 90% food and 10% exercise....if you don't eat right then no amount of exercise (or a hell of a lot) will make you lose weight.

My trainers (and trainer-brother and trainer-friend LOL), all tell me "80-20" 80% of your fitness progress comes from diet. And BOY OH BOY am I seeing that!

I need to really figure out what clicks for me on the diet front! GAHHHH!