Advice for a newbie

Options
Hello everyone! I've just signed up today as I've often come across some very helpful posts from myfitnesspal. Jumping right into it: I'm a 5'3" 28 year old woman who steadily gained 12kg over the past 4 years (now at 68kg after losing some weight). Also very recently I have moved into a new house (quite an old house) and as the floors are not very strong, am quite scared to do any heavy jumping up and down (such as burpees etc). I am determined to lose 10kg, though would like to do it in a healthy fashion. I'd rather commit to a lifestyle that I can stick to in the long run. Friends have suggested running, as I live in quite a hilly city (Sheffield), but I was used to HIIT, which helped me lose some weight in the past. I also understand that I need to eat clean as much as possible (this is where I fail to be honest as I am possessed by a sweet tooth :) ). My only concern is if running would also help me tone? Anyway, I would be most grateful if anyone has any advice as to exercise I could do on these weak house floors that would be beneficial to me. All advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Replies

• whatamigettingmyselfinto
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to eat clean, you could lose weight eating fast food and candy as long as it's in moderation. And yes, running is cardio, which helps break down fat and will help the muscles actually show. You could lift weights (on your bed with two dumbbells is usually the cheapest option, it's what I do) to also aid in that, as you can work any muscle with them. Squats don't require too much stress on the ground, and since it's summer you could always do some exercises on a yoga mat in your yard!
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Welcome.

Here's a great post for newbies, I'd highly recommend reading it, and the linked posts within it: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • scb515
    scb515 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone! I've just signed up today as I've often come across some very helpful posts from myfitnesspal. Jumping right into it: I'm a 5'3" 28 year old woman who steadily gained 12kg over the past 4 years (now at 68kg after losing some weight). Also very recently I have moved into a new house (quite an old house) and as the floors are not very strong, am quite scared to do any heavy jumping up and down (such as burpees etc). I am determined to lose 10kg, though would like to do it in a healthy fashion. I'd rather commit to a lifestyle that I can stick to in the long run. Friends have suggested running, as I live in quite a hilly city (Sheffield), but I was used to HIIT, which helped me lose some weight in the past. I also understand that I need to eat clean as much as possible (this is where I fail to be honest as I am possessed by a sweet tooth :) ). My only concern is if running would also help me tone? Anyway, I would be most grateful if anyone has any advice as to exercise I could do on these weak house floors that would be beneficial to me. All advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks

Hey, another Brit! Hello!

You don't have to eat clean, you just need to eat fewer calories than your body demands to maintain weight. When I first started this journey, I was a big fan of Mr Kipling slices. They're individually wrapped and around 140 calories, so easy to plan into your food dairy for the day. May help if you have a sweet tooth! ;)

I've lost weight through diet, toning has come from exercise. I don't do that much running, but my legs have definitely toned from doing the treadmill and exercise bike. I don't think moving my legs has done much for my stomach, so if that's your problem area, you may want to consider classes which target more of your body.

Best of luck!:)
  • Nige_Gsy
    Nige_Gsy Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    You don't necessarily have to eat clean, you could lose weight eating fast food and candy as long as it's in moderation. And yes, running is cardio, which helps break down fat and will help the muscles actually show. You could lift weights (on your bed with two dumbbells is usually the cheapest option, it's what I do) to also aid in that, as you can work any muscle with them. Squats don't require too much stress on the ground, and since it's summer you could always do some exercises on a yoga mat in your yard!

Yep; as long as you remember the basic premise "calories in must be less than calories expended" then you will lose weight no matter what it is you eat / drink. But, I would suggest that you use the MFP diary splits to keep an eye on carbs / fat / protein / fibre just to make sure your diet is reasonably balanced. If I can help, don't hesitate to ask for guidance / thoughts.
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Welcome. Keep it simple. To lose weight eat fewer calories than you expend. Cardio (running/walking, etc) is great for weight loss and increasing caloric burn. To truly gain definition in your body, some type of resistance training will be needed. Sit ups, crunches, planks for the abs, push ups, chin ups, bench press, military press, etc will help upper body. Squats and lunges will help lower body. If you have access to a gym in your township, it is a great investment to join... Then you don't have to worry about the weak floors and you can meet some great folks. Best wishes and welcome again.
  • SpicyScience
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the supportive comments. I've started eating better now and slowly re-starting my exercises. I shall definitely keep you all updated with my progress :)