Is this a healthy dinner idea to maintain weight?

Options
2»

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I had like more or less a 200 calorie sandwich,comprising of 2 wholemeal toasts for breakfast today.Oh well I woke up late so obviously that was my BRUNCH.Anyway,I'm 18,110lbs and 5"6.I'm trying to maintain my weight now and I'm gradually increasing my calorie intake.I'm not a big eater so I can't really eat much :/ Anyways for dinner,this is what I had:
    1/2 or a bit more of low fat (1%) cottage cheese with a handful of raspberries and blueberries. (Let's say that's like around 200cal?)
    I was still VERY hungry so I had a mini 100% wholemeal bun ( the size of 2 macarons) and 3 crackers while dipping in some eggplant dip.I don't know how much of eggplant dip I've consumed but I assume it's definitely less than 50cal.
    So is this okay?

No, this is not okay.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8" and 132 - My diary is public, but you can see how much food I eat and I'm maintaining. I can't do as much exercise due to arthritis but you definitely need more calories than you guess you are taking in. Also your brain is still developing at your age (mainly frontal lobe - where consequences are weighed and decision making occurs) so you need fat for this. Up your quantity and keep the quality - stick some healthy fats in there or you will be debilitating yourself.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    That's because I'm staying at a hostel and I don't have a weighing scale for food,nor do I have a place to keep one.So I usually just roughly guess using my spoon.Sigh.Wait,so how much of cottage cheese did I actually consume?
    OK then. In that case I would advice you to stop counting spoons and instead eat until you are satisfied but not stuffed. And eat something else than just cottage cheese, will you?
  • KateK8LoseW8
    KateK8LoseW8 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    That's not a very well-balanced dinner, and not enough food to maintain weight. My go-to is about 4-6 ounces of chicken or fish, 1-2 cups cooked vegetables, 100g of some form of grain, and I make sure that at least one of those is cooked with fat (unless I'm eating salmon).
  • strawberrypopsicles
    Options
    Take something you know the volume of (like a water bottle) and fill it up with water. Now pour the water into your "spoon" until it's full. Based on how much water is missing from the bottle, you can better estimate the volume of your "spoon" and how many calories you are consuming.

As far as dipping things directly into a container of dip... just make sure you have the entire container logged. Like, if it's 8oz and you eat the whole thing over the course of two weeks or so, make sure 8oz are logged into your diary. Daily calorie goals don't matter so much as weekly/overall goals.

I can't tell you if you're eating too much if you don't even know how much you're eating!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    it seems that you're eating less to "maintain" weight than i am to lose weight, and i'm shorter than you are. btw, you really do need protein, and lots of it - and some fiber wouldn't hurt. having nothing but bread will indeed cause a blood sugar spike, which will later cause you to feel hungry sooner.

btw, i have a high quality food scale small enough to carry in a small bag - which i do.
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
    Options
    OP, as you were advised on the other thread you started... Please consult a professional regarding your relationship with food.
  • gcdn
    gcdn Posts: 42
    Options
    Take something you know the volume of (like a water bottle) and fill it up with water. Now pour the water into your "spoon" until it's full. Based on how much water is missing from the bottle, you can better estimate the volume of your "spoon" and how many calories you are consuming.

As far as dipping things directly into a container of dip... just make sure you have the entire container logged. Like, if it's 8oz and you eat the whole thing over the course of two weeks or so, make sure 8oz are logged into your diary. Daily calorie goals don't matter so much as weekly/overall goals.

I can't tell you if you're eating too much if you don't even know how much you're eating!

The dip is not more than 2 tablespoons though,based on what is left in the container.Anyway the dip is only like 15cal per 10g which is around a tablespoon.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    OP, as you were advised on the other thread you started... Please consult a professional regarding your relationship with food.
    This.
  • alereck
    alereck Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    If you post asking for opinions you have to be able to listen and take in what others are saying.

If you are going to defend every little decision you’ve made then don’t ask people what they think. Most people here have given you really good advice; if you are truly interested in being good to yourself then you will listen and try to make your own educated decision.

But if you were only looking for attention, well done.
  • gcdn
    Options
    Alright guys I actually made my diary public,and I hope what I had today is an improvement,at least,to what I've posted yesterday.Basically I skipped breakfast again since I woke up late and only had my brunch at 3pm :(
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Alright guys I actually made my diary public,and I hope what I had today is an improvement,at least,to what I've posted yesterday.Basically I skipped breakfast again since I woke up late and only had my brunch at 3pm :(

Really? :huh:
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    You're just going to lose weight if that's what your diet looks like now. I weigh about fifteen pounds less than you and am maintaining on about 1450-1500 cals/day. I'm not really that active either.
  • gcdn
    Options
    You're just going to lose weight if that's what your diet looks like now. I weigh about fifteen pounds less than you and am maintaining on about 1450-1500 cals/day. I'm not really that active either.

I don't know what else I can do,really.I love beans so I incorporate them in every meal.And each meal makes me very full.It's so hard to meet my calorie goal
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options

I don't know what else I can do,really.I love beans so I incorporate them in every meal.And each meal makes me very full.It's so hard to meet my calorie goal

Speak to a doctor. The only reason you think you are 'very full' on 500 cals a day is because of how much damage you have done to your body.
  • JazzFischer1989
    JazzFischer1989 Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Well as it's been said, you should defintely see a doctor and work out a diet plan that you can actually stick to. You're eating less than a toddler right now and there's no way you'll maintain your weight if you continue on this way.

Seriously, listen to people here instead of trying to justify your poor diet. You need to find a way to eat more if you're serious about maintaining a healthy weight, plain and simple.
  • melindafritz1976
    melindafritz1976 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Just eat normal meals. You won't be able to maintain on so little and it's just not sustainable.

Each meal have protein, carbs, and fats. You will feel full for longer and you will have a better chance of being successful long term.

I mean what you described is next to nothing...that is not good.

Good luck.
  • psse01
    psse01 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that! Learned something new! :)