Saggy abs?

Options
This is more of an 'out of general curiosity' question than anything. But a friend and I were discussing our progress the other day and I mentioned how I was kind of bummed that I wasn't losing from my midsection faster as I used to have quite nice abs and was very in shape before the University experience robbed me of that haha. She suggested that perhaps the issue with my midsection wasn't necessarily all fat, but also that I had let those muscles go and they had relaxed to be a pooch. When I contract my abdominals my stomach shrinks considerably and looks actually pretty good, but when I relax them I go back to looking 4mos pregnant. Is it possible that the muscles I used to have there have relaxed quite a bit forming a bloaty pooch?

I know this is a silly one but I was curious haha. Thanks to all that respond :)

Replies

• bigblondewolf
    bigblondewolf Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Bump and some pics to show what I mean lol.

2utghhg.jpg

2q1rm7d.jpg
  • minusonali
    minusonali Posts: 65
    Options
    to be honest your midsection looks way better than mine!
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    Aw thanks that's sweet of you. I know it's not as bad as it could be (I'm thankful I never let myself get too far out of shape). You look very tiny tho :) I'm sure you don't have to worry about your midsection.

These pictures are taken seconds apart tho btw. It's not a progress pic (although I wish it was! Lol)
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It's posture as well - you're arching your back and that's making your tummy stick out. Try to think about standing straight so your tailbone is pointing downwards and your hipbones are pointing forwards and it'll look way smaller.
  • bigblondewolf
    Options
    It's posture as well - you're arching your back and that's making your tummy stick out. Try to think about standing straight so your tailbone is pointing downwards and your hipbones are pointing forwards and it'll look way smaller.

Hmm yeah I've thought that as well. My natural posture is to arch my back tho so I guess that's something I'll have to work on.
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options

Ditto; I think its posture too. I'm the same way. I look fat when I'm just standing there thoughtlessly because I slouch so bad it looks like I have the biggest pooch. Straighten up- tada- flat tummy.
  • stefanieprice07
    stefanieprice07 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure of the cause, but this same thing happens to me. I know it's not purely posture because I used to not have the pooch with the same terrible posture. I think a lot of it has to do with diet though? more so than ab strength. It probably is a lot of bloating from excess sodium and water retention (I'm def guilty of excess sodium!)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Combination of bad posture, possibly weak core and still a moderate amount of bodyfat. Take this as constructive criticism and not a "judging" opinion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • minusonali
    minusonali Posts: 65
    Options
    I am working on my midsection. I am tiny but its skinny fat. Drives me nuts but honestly i am way better than before. Eating disorder for two years. I am making an effort to eat more and stop fussing about every calorie. I can finally be happy with eating dessert!
  • shireeniebeanie
    shireeniebeanie Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Same thing here! I've always had an "outie" stomach, both when I was growing up and at my thinnest adult weight (~120 lb).

It's not about the natural standing posture. With a flexed stomach, it's not a flat wall of muscle in there; it seems curved outward.

Is this about needing to develop a stronger core?
  • mayfrayy
    mayfrayy Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Combination of bad posture, possibly weak core and still a moderate amount of bodyfat. Take this as constructive criticism and not a "judging" opinion.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bigblondewolf
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh no worries! I'm under no illusion that I have a good level of body fat. I know there's still lots there that needs to go before I see good results with my core.

I know I can't spot reduce, but are there any specific moves that would strengthen a weak core? I get a low of lower back pain that I'm almost 100% certain is due to weak core muscles as I didn't have this pain when I had good abs a few years back. None of the old workouts I used to do seem to be improving their strength much.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    are there any specific moves that would strengthen a weak core?

In your case, the best thing you can do is to practice pulling it in, just like you showed us. The more you do it, the more your abs will learn to hold that position (greater muscle tone). Good posture requires *endurance*, not strength, which is why your workouts haven't helped. For strength, follow a standard, full-body program (NROL, Stronglifts, Nerd Fitness, etc.).
  • gotolam
    gotolam Posts: 262 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Oh no worries! I'm under no illusion that I have a good level of body fat. I know there's still lots there that needs to go before I see good results with my core.

I know I can't spot reduce, but are there any specific moves that would strengthen a weak core? I get a low of lower back pain that I'm almost 100% certain is due to weak core muscles as I didn't have this pain when I had good abs a few years back. None of the old workouts I used to do seem to be improving their strength much.

Do more planks.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    are there any specific moves that would strengthen a weak core?

In your case, the best thing you can do is to practice pulling it in, just like you showed us. The more you do it, the more your abs will learn to hold that position (greater muscle tone). Good posture requires *endurance*, not strength, which is why your workouts haven't helped. For strength, follow a standard, full-body program (NROL, Stronglifts, Nerd Fitness, etc.).

Exactly. Part of good posture is pulling the abs in. Straight back, shoulders back, head up, stomach in. It's not "sucking it in", it's good posture.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I like doing planks.
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Do pilates. It's mostly about good posture and strengthening your core. And I find having someone yell at me to do the exercises properly makes me much better at them!
  • LunaStar2008
    LunaStar2008 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I have the same issue since I had a baby. Can't keep my tummy sucked as I used to before the pregnancy. I guess thouse abs are pretty stretched out to craddle that new life. And after C-section I couldn't do real serious ab workouts for at least 6 month. It even sometimes hurt a year later (I mean pain in the scar area and not fatigue during exercise).