swimming for exercise

Options
hi everyone,

im going swimming today but i dont know what to do, i am a really good swimmer and used to do competitions when i was younger so i know all the strokes but i dont know what to do exercise-wise when i get there,
i was thinking maybe 4 lengths at a low/medium intensity and then two at full speed and repeat for front crawl for bout 45 minutes, any other suggestions please?

Replies

• maryjay52
    maryjay52 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    whatever works for you. for me i swim laps in my pool and i do the breast stroke ..not fast either .. just concerned about a lot of laps at this point . i suck in my gut and swim away.. great for core workout and for toning the body from head to toe . just have to do whats best for you. whatever i do in the pool i try to beat my time ,record or whatever makes me work harder
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    Water running if your pool allows it. Also some of the most challenging crunches I ever did were in the water, head out, feet off the bottom of the pool kicking, crunch to one side (without sinking under), lower legs keep kicking, crunch to other side, and repeat until tired, rest a moment and do it again.
  • LupaBC
    LupaBC Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I always bring my kickboard and pullbuoy, if you dont have any, they are quite cheap to pick up. My workout looks like this:

200m Warm-up
    400m Front crawl
    400m Legs only
    400m Arms only
    400m Backstroke
    200m Butterfly
    200m Breast stroke
    400m Cool down

I also used to be a competitive swimmer when I was younger and I found that the best workout is just to concentrate on improving your strength and stamina and you suddenly start shedding the pounds :)