To those that kicked butt and lost the weight...

Options

Replies

• lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    When I see old pictures of me, a very tiny part of me regrets I spent most of my 20's being that way. I was never then nor now a emotional eater. I ate and drank what I wanted and was sitting on my butt playing video games, barely being active. I also didn't hide from pictures either. Now that I lost some weight, I am much more active and have tons more energy, I enjoy looking at old pictures and at times have a hard time believing I can do the things I do now that I couldn't before.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I don't really identify with my former obese self. I see old pictures and it's almost like I remember that guy as someone I knew or like I watched his life unfold on TV. This is only visually I should add. I fully identify with all my life experiences that occurred during that time period but when I see a picture it's hard for my brain to register that it was me. Weird I know...
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    When I see the pictures of my fatter self, the one thought that pops into my mind is "why was I "ok" with being so fat for so long?" I think with regret of all those wasted years I spent being fat.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    When I see old pictures, I mostly just feel sad that I didn't lose weight sooner. But, I realize I just wasn't ready back then.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    I wish I had taken more before pictures. I rarely got in front of a camera, and am sorry that I didn't. I look at the ones I do have and think about how far I've come. Initially it was about losing the extra weight, and now it is about how far I can push myself, and that makes me proud of myself.
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    Options
    I just think it's a different person.
  • andeey
    andeey Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I am still losing, but when I look back at older pictures, I wonder what sort of zombie land I lived in that I couldn't *see* it ... I mean, I knew I was fat but your mind does this weird thing where you sort of black out about it and it doesn't seem as bad as it really is until you compare the two together and then you're like, WTF? How could I have not noticed that? It's like an awakening.

And honestly, I really, really, really (that's a lot of them for emphasis) wonder how my husband ever got past that to want to be with me. Talk about self loathing ... it makes me love him all the more because he met me when I was fat. I got fatter. He still loved me. I've lost some weight. He still loves me. I have no bloody idea what he saw in me and so I do have regrets that I shorted both us of a lot of healthy and happy activities from the past.

All I can do now is try and make up for it and embrace that I finally woke up.
  • mackmama11
    mackmama11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    love love love this. This is how I felt!
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    A mix of things. Mostly, I see old photos that are just head and shoulders and I marvel at how I look exactly the same 128 lb lighter, just a bit older and without a hint of double chin now.

BUT--when I see *full body* shots from my heaviest weights, I'm kind of stunned. I never felt quite that big, and I never fully realized how bad my belly rolls and back fat looked to others...especially in a couple of seated photos, I am almost unrecognizable to myself because it shows so much of my fat in an undeniable way. At 300 lb, my mind's eye had me clocked at maybe like 230 lb...I didn't think I looked as big as I did. So it's a shock to see the reality.

I kind of deal with the same thing now. I'm in the higher 170s currently, wearing a size 12, and I still imagine myself to be at least around a size 16/18 so when I see pictures I often have thoughts like "nah, that's just a flattering pic" or "why do my forearms look so tiny". It's a mindf*** much of the time.
  • mackmama11
    mackmama11 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    [When I see old pictures, I mostly just feel sad that I didn't lose weight sooner. But, I realize I just wasn't ready back then.]

love love love this. This is how I felt!
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    There aren't a lot of pics of me bigger as I hid from the camera but if I find any, and there are some scattered around the first thing I make is a comparison pic with me now so I can see the difference as I'm only just getting my head around my size and shape now.
  • OkamiLavande
    OkamiLavande Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Seeing old pictures of me causes me to remember to struggles I had with coming to terms with my mental health problems and the effects the medication had on my body, and how far I've come in learning to make what I have work for me. Old pictures of when I was skinny are just a much of a reminder of unhealthy habits as are the overweight ones. I don't have any pictures from when I was 176 pounds but I remember what I look like. I remember how hard it was knowing I was that size and how hard it was to change that. But many years later and lots of attempts down the road, here I am proud of how I look and even happier I have my life under control.
  • lady6starlight
    lady6starlight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I think to myself, "Why the hell didn't anyone tell me how big I was?" I recall wanting to diet and having people tell me that I looked fine, though I know I didn't. I kept deluding myself with thoughts of "oh, clothes are just made small these days," or "I don't eat THAT much!" People kept lying to me and I kept lying to myself, and I'm upset about that. But I'm glad I've made changes.
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I still have a long way to go. I think I'm finally ready now and reading some of these comments inspire me to keep going. Good luck to all that are still on their journey and congrats to those of you who have met your goals!
  • shafa4321
    shafa4321 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    my gym id is me plus 90 lbs

they keep asking me if I want to change it and i say no, it is a reminder of where I have been and who i was

seeing older pics of myself keeps me motivated but i am trying to not dwell negatively on those images. Thats who i was at that time. It does not change the fact that i was a person with a job and a son and surrounded by people who loved me. I had good moments when i was overweight and i want to remember the moment for what it was, outside the fact i was unhealthy.

Good point
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    They motivate me. I can see that I'm uncomfortable, I remember the crappy emotions, the insecurity and all that. It helps me stay on track, and helps me remember how much my life has changed.
  • Bennettlizzy81
    Options
    When I see old pictures, I mostly just feel sad that I didn't lose weight sooner. But, I realize I just wasn't ready back then.

I think this is a great way to look at it. Also I figure everything happens for a reason. Some peoples' battles are invisible and some, like weight, are VERY visible. But everybody has something that they struggle with, regardless of whether it can be seen.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I think to myself, "Why the hell didn't anyone tell me how big I was?" I recall wanting to diet and having people tell me that I looked fine, though I know I didn't. I kept deluding myself with thoughts of "oh, clothes are just made small these days," or "I don't eat THAT much!" People kept lying to me and I kept lying to myself, and I'm upset about that. But I'm glad I've made changes.

Eh...I view this exactly opposite to the way you do, so I don't want to come off like I think you're wrong and I'm right. But I think it's actually great that others treated you kindly and didn't tell you that you needed to lose weight, it was probably their way of reassuring you without malicious intent at all. Unless you were at a weight that did cause physical problems, limited mobility and/or disease, etc, and they were enabling you...I think it's pretty likely they were just seeing you for the person you are, whom they love, and trying to make you feel good about yourself regardless of weight. In my book that is kindness.

I do agree with you about lying to oneself though and how dangerous that can be.
  • Losingthedamnweight
    Losingthedamnweight Posts: 535 Member
    Options

So you're saying I should tell fat people around me they're fat, just in case they forget. Got it
  • MamaEngineer
    MamaEngineer Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I actually feel neutral towards those pictures. Yes I was overweight but I was still a pretty active and healthy person, just with some extra padding.

Those extra pounds were clinging onto my body after having my two beautiful children, so really I feel no shame or regret for them. It just is what it is, some extra fat. Otherwise I am still completely the same person.