Crazy weight fluctuations

Options
I was just wondering if anyone else has crazy fluctuations in weight before/during/shortly after their period. I feel like I'm the only one or it's not due to my period.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Yes, absolutely. Up to seven pounds, but usually 4-5.

Bloating, cramping, tired, then whoosh! Back to normal. :)
  • alexagordonn
    Options
    By crazy fluctuations I mean like weighing yourself and then weighing yourself later (without any good or water intake) and gaining 2 pounds and then gaining after peeing or pooping. Also plateauing during your period
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    By crazy fluctuations I mean like weighing yourself and then weighing yourself later (without any good or water intake) and gaining 2 pounds and then gaining after peeing or pooping. Also plateauing during your period

Yes to all of the above. It's fascinating and irritating, yet totally normal. I'll never figure out HOW I can gain weight AFTER going to the toilet (it's NOT my scale, since it goes down when hubby poops, TMI, LOL). But, I don't let it get me down, since it's the long term trend I'm interested in seeing (going downward).
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    I'm not a women but I know that TOM can certainly cause weight fluctuations. As far as the other fluctuations you are seeing, I would say this: QUIT WEIGHING YOURSELF SO MUCH! Weigh once a day in the morning right after you wake after you go the bathroom. Take a weekly average of that number. Compare the weekly averages to each other. That will give you a much better comparison of actual weight changes. If your scale is telling you that you are gaining weight after using the bathroom, you should get a new scale. That simply should never happen.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely. A week ago, I got on the scale (2 days before my period), and I was 135 -down 25 pounds. I knew I was going to start, so I waited until yesterday to weigh myself again - up 2 pounds. Weighed myself today, up ANOTHER 2 pounds. And I have been meeting my calorie goal - no way I ate 14 THOUSAND calories worth of food in one week. It is frustrating, but remember - it's just a number on the scale. :drinker:
  • alexagordonn
    Options
    True. It's just frustrating to see yourself not losing when you are continuing to be good about your diet. Periods make dieting very difficult
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    Speaking as the lone male in a four-person family, diets aren't the only thing they make difficult.
  • GoForLew
    GoForLew Posts: 22
    Options
    I used to gain up to 10 pounds during my TOM. I am sure I still do, but I've stopped weighing myself when it's that time because it's just frustrating.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah, I'm generally 3-5 lbs heavier. I stopped weighing myself altogether during that time.