shin splints!

Options
Hey there so i've been running consistently 4 times a week for 4 months now. I started on the C25K program and have recently started the 10K program and today i was dumb...i've never ran more than 4 miles before but today i pushed myself and went over 5 and now my inner ankle really hurts to walk on and has a very sharp pain. Is this shin splints?

I've had the occasional pain here after a hard run before but today is exceptionally bad. I've iced it twice. I always stretch afterward runs, my shoes have done about 120 miles and i run on hard roads due to lack of trails.
Should i see a doctor, how long should i take for rest? i'm just really worried because running is my passion and the only exercise i enjoy, i know it's bad not to cross train and switch it up but it's all i do. I really don't want this to be a permanent thing.

Replies

• SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you're having that problem, but it's not shin splints. Shin splints are felt literally in the shins, in the lower leg, in the front, along that bone where there's hardly any muscle or tissue and the bone is just under the skin. That's where you feel shin splints.

If this ankle pain has been an ongoing problem, as you say, then you should definitely see a doctor about it. It sounds like an issue you've had for a while that has escalated due to being pushed. I would try to make an appointment this upcoming week. In the meantime, keep icing and try to stay off it until the pain has abated, and I would go easy on any running (or refrain altogether) until after you hear from the doc.
  • chloeealicee
    chloeealicee Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    i may have described where the pain is coming from wrong. it begins a few inches above my ankle. I'll have to wait until i get a doctors opinion on it then. I will definitely refrain and rest until they give it the all clear.
  • dezstern
    dezstern Posts: 2
    Options
    In my experience, the majority of pain, especially during running, comes from really overtraining or understretching.

I used to get awful hip pain if I ran farther than 3 miles. Learned the pigeon yoga pose, and never had the problem again. Be sure you're pacing yourself. Rest up, and take it easy first couple runs out after that. If you feel confident, let it rip. You'll be okay, I think.
  • tracydr
    tracydr Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    In my experience, the majority of pain, especially during running, comes from really overtraining or understretching.

I used to get awful hip pain if I ran farther than 3 miles. Learned the pigeon yoga pose, and never had the problem again. Be sure you're pacing yourself. Rest up, and take it easy first couple runs out after that. If you feel confident, let it rip. You'll be okay, I think.
    Pigeon pose is awesome for ITBand hip and knee pain!
    Shin splints are either overtraining or bad shoes. Go to a real running store or podiatrist. You may need better shoes or custom orthotics. For the pain use ice and ibuprofen or aleve, if you can take it. Freeze Dixie cups of water and rub them along your she, peeling the cup back as you go.