Extreme Diet?

Options
2»

Replies

• rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    As for the OP.

Ugh, this is a mistake IMHO. Any diet that you can't sustain is a diet not worth using. Plus, this sounds remarkably similar to the grapefruit diet (which has been roundly disproven by medical professionals). http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-grapefruit-diet

My impression:

Very low calorie, not sustainable, lacking in many vital macro and micro nutrients. This is not a diet for long term adherence. If you are already at a reasonable weight, this diet will not make you "shed fat" in any appreciable amount, what it will do is promote fat storage, reduce muscle quantity, and diminish metabolic function. I can't imagine doing even moderate cardio on this diet, never mind weight training or HIIT.

Lets look at the specifics. you need about 6 to 8 oz of proteins a day, unless you're eating giant servings of chicken breast, you aren't getting that (2 eggs won't cut it for total daily protein needs). Your veggies are very lite. Keep in mind this depends on the contents of the salad, we're looking for 3 cups of veggies, but that's assuming more than just green leaf veggies. You're not receiving anywhere near enough whole grains as recommended most professionals for a healthy diet, And what's with the "Fresh Fruit Any Amount" statement. So I can have 3 apples and 4 bananas for lunch?
    consider this, most people, even on a reduced calorie diet, require at least 70 or 80 Grams of protein (about 1g per KG body weight is the minimum), an average hard boiled egg has about 7 or 8 grams of protein, so eating two would give you 14 to 16 grams of protein. That's bad news for muscle health.

The goal of MFP is healthy weight loss when it is a part of a healthy lifestyle and exercise and diet regimen. The site does not condone "lose weight fast" diets that sacrifice health in order to achieve fast results. As a trainer and someone who's serious about nutrition and health, I'd be vehemently against this diet for one of my clients.

Ahhh ok, point taken.

I just feel as if I've been dieting now for months and months and just keep maintaining the same weight because I eat very little one day then eat a lot (A LOT) another day. I felt as if this diet would maybe just get me losing at least a little bit of weight to get me on the right track for feeling good about myself. But I agree, when I started it I did think it was a little restrictive, your not allowed anything other than what it says to do. I wish I could just find a healthy eating plan that will make me lose weight but stay healthy.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    Hi Rebecca! First off, how tall are you, and what weight are you starting at?

Hi Carmen! I am 5ft 7-8 and 130 pounds at the moment. Goal weight is 117 so not a lot but just generally want to tone up and be healthier.
  • __RANDY__
    __RANDY__ Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options

Hi Carmen! I am 5ft 7-8 and 130 pounds at the moment. Goal weight is 117 so not a lot but just generally want to tone up and be healthier.

Really?
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options

Really?

yes??
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I wish I could just find a healthy eating plan that will make me lose weight but stay healthy.

Small calorie deficit, good macros, and exercise. Just like everyone else.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    I wish I could just find a healthy eating plan that will make me lose weight but stay healthy.

Small calorie deficit, good macros, and exercise. Just like everyone else.

OK thanks for the advice!
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    At your height, 117 would put you in the "Underweight" category. Your present weight is a normal healthy weight already.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    At your height, 117 would put you in the "Underweight" category. Your present weight is a normal healthy weight already.

Is this for BMI? Because I am very narrow, shoulders and hips are less than 34 inches last time I checked. Went to the doctor a year ago to enquire about BMI as I was shown as just in the underweight category and was told it was completely fine as I measured in at very narrow.
  • CrazyTrackLady
    CrazyTrackLady Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    As for the OP.

Ugh, this is a mistake IMHO. Any diet that you can't sustain is a diet not worth using. Plus, this sounds remarkably similar to the grapefruit diet (which has been roundly disproven by medical professionals). http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/the-grapefruit-diet

My impression:

Very low calorie, not sustainable, lacking in many vital macro and micro nutrients. This is not a diet for long term adherence. If you are already at a reasonable weight, this diet will not make you "shed fat" in any appreciable amount, what it will do is promote fat storage, reduce muscle quantity, and diminish metabolic function. I can't imagine doing even moderate cardio on this diet, never mind weight training or HIIT.

Lets look at the specifics. you need about 6 to 8 oz of proteins a day, unless you're eating giant servings of chicken breast, you aren't getting that (2 eggs won't cut it for total daily protein needs). Your veggies are very lite. Keep in mind this depends on the contents of the salad, we're looking for 3 cups of veggies, but that's assuming more than just green leaf veggies. You're not receiving anywhere near enough whole grains as recommended most professionals for a healthy diet, And what's with the "Fresh Fruit Any Amount" statement. So I can have 3 apples and 4 bananas for lunch?
    consider this, most people, even on a reduced calorie diet, require at least 70 or 80 Grams of protein (about 1g per KG body weight is the minimum), an average hard boiled egg has about 7 or 8 grams of protein, so eating two would give you 14 to 16 grams of protein. That's bad news for muscle health.

The goal of MFP is healthy weight loss when it is a part of a healthy lifestyle and exercise and diet regimen. The site does not condone "lose weight fast" diets that sacrifice health in order to achieve fast results. As a trainer and someone who's serious about nutrition and health, I'd be vehemently against this diet for one of my clients.

I like this message very much. I'd hire you in a minute.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    As for the OP.

My impression:

Ahhh ok, point taken.

I just feel as if I've been dieting now for months and months and just keep maintaining the same weight because I eat very little one day then eat a lot (A LOT) another day. I felt as if this diet would maybe just get me losing at least a little bit of weight to get me on the right track for feeling good about myself. But I agree, when I started it I did think it was a little restrictive, your not allowed anything other than what it says to do. I wish I could just find a healthy eating plan that will make me lose weight but stay healthy.

Maybe you need to change your mindset:

Instead of believing that the only way to lose weight is to be crazy restrictive, you should adopt a common sense moderation approach. That way you can still have the pizza and the cookies, just not ALL the pizza and cookies. If you stop thinking that some food are bad and that you can never have them, there is potential for you to stop binging on them on your "off" days - which is why you are just maintaining instead of losing.
  • CarmenSRT
    CarmenSRT Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    Rebecca, how much of this is really about what YOU want and how much is about what OTHER people think you should be? Your stated "need" to lose at least 5 pounds in 3 days because you have a shoot on Thursday indicates that others are the ones dictating your body weight issue. That's not remotely healthy for YOU.

Ignore the question completely, answer it for yourself only, but the totality of what you've said indicates you may wish to examine your approach to weight and health differently. MFP isn't for helping people become Twiggy (in any sense of that example). It's for healthy goals.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    As for the OP.

My impression:

Ahhh ok, point taken.

Maybe you need to change your mindset:

Instead of believing that the only way to lose weight is to be crazy restrictive, you should adopt a common sense moderation approach. That way you can still have the pizza and the cookies, just not ALL the pizza and cookies. If you stop thinking that some food are bad and that you can never have them, there is potential for you to stop binging on them on your "off" days - which is why you are just maintaining instead of losing.

I know this has been the problem for a while now. But it gets pretty bad when I have such deadlines, I basically need to lost this extra weight in a week so its hard not to be crazy restrictive. As soon as this week is over I will try very hard to have this a diet of moderation.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    Hey quirkytizzy. I did start to feel queasy but I have only been doing it for three days and with today off, do you think it will be ok to continue doing this 3 days on 1 off thing?

I am looking to lose maximum 10 pounds for Thursday and a minimum of 5 pounds.

If those are your expectations, I don't think you understand how weight loss works. A bit more reading would be beneficial.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    Hey quirkytizzy. I did start to feel queasy but I have only been doing it for three days and with today off, do you think it will be ok to continue doing this 3 days on 1 off thing?

If those are your expectations, I don't think you understand how weight loss works. A bit more reading would be beneficial.

Believe me, I've done the reading over the years I've been obsessed with weight. I am resorting to things that I have never tried before to see if they work.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Believe me, I've done the reading over the years I've been obsessed with weight. I am resorting to things that I have never tried before to see if they work.

There's just so much wrong with this post. I'm trying my hardest to be supportive though. so lets examine the core of the issue.

1) You don't have much weight to lose, so large losses won't come easily.

2) By your own admission you don't follow nutrition programs correctly (eating at a small healthy deficit some days, then essentially binging on other days.)

3) Waiting until the last moment to lose weight. I'm not sure if you know about a dead line with enough time or they are sprung upon you, but either way, if this is such an issue for you, maybe it's time to look into alternative careers.

4) also by your own admission, you are obsessed with weight. this is a big problem for someone at what is considered a healthy weight.

5) you seem to have some invalid ideas of BMI, which is essentially a measure that is extremely flawed for individual measurement and should only be used along with multiple other measurements if at all. A much better tool is lean body mass or body fat percent, which will both measure how much of a fat to lean tissue mass ratio you have, and give you a good idea of how healthy you are from a body mass perspective.

6) you aren't really looking at the nutrient quality of food. People who eat very nutritionally healthy have stronger internal systems, can heal and react metabolically faster, and have less trouble gaining lean mass and losing fat. I.E. stop with the diets and start eating well balanced meals, if you need to reach a certain weight (better would be a certain body fat %, weight is arbitrary) then you just eat the same thing, but a slightly reduced amount, give it a few months, and you'll be there.

what this really boils down to is. You need to forget about the quick fix and short cut methods. Start thinking about it as a long term lifestyle change. Eat healthy, then just modify the amounts a little. you do that, and you'll not only lose weight in a healthy way, you'll find it much easier to maintain those losses over the long term.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options

There's just so much wrong with this post. I'm trying my hardest to be supportive though. so lets examine the core of the issue.

1) You don't have much weight to lose, so large losses won't come easily.

2) By your own admission you don't follow nutrition programs correctly (eating at a small healthy deficit some days, then essentially binging on other days.)

3) Waiting until the last moment to lose weight. I'm not sure if you know about a dead line with enough time or they are sprung upon you, but either way, if this is such an issue for you, maybe it's time to look into alternative careers.

4) also by your own admission, you are obsessed with weight. this is a big problem for someone at what is considered a healthy weight.

5) you seem to have some invalid ideas of BMI, which is essentially a measure that is extremely flawed for individual measurement and should only be used along with multiple other measurements if at all. A much better tool is lean body mass or body fat percent, which will both measure how much of a fat to lean tissue mass ratio you have, and give you a good idea of how healthy you are from a body mass perspective.

6) you aren't really looking at the nutrient quality of food. People who eat very nutritionally healthy have stronger internal systems, can heal and react metabolically faster, and have less trouble gaining lean mass and losing fat. I.E. stop with the diets and start eating well balanced meals, if you need to reach a certain weight (better would be a certain body fat %, weight is arbitrary) then you just eat the same thing, but a slightly reduced amount, give it a few months, and you'll be there.

what this really boils down to is. You need to forget about the quick fix and short cut methods. Start thinking about it as a long term lifestyle change. Eat healthy, then just modify the amounts a little. you do that, and you'll not only lose weight in a healthy way, you'll find it much easier to maintain those losses over the long term.

ok thanks.

in my defence - about point 5 I completely agree with BMI being inaccurate, it was in my defence (?!) to CarmenSRT suggesting my goal weight puts me in the "Underweight" category which she can only have derived from my height and weight...as in BMI.
  • rebeccalouisemellor
    Options
    Rebecca, how much of this is really about what YOU want and how much is about what OTHER people think you should be? Your stated "need" to lose at least 5 pounds in 3 days because you have a shoot on Thursday indicates that others are the ones dictating your body weight issue. That's not remotely healthy for YOU.

Ignore the question completely, answer it for yourself only, but the totality of what you've said indicates you may wish to examine your approach to weight and health differently. MFP isn't for helping people become Twiggy (in any sense of that example). It's for healthy goals.

Hi thanks for your comment. It is 100% what I want because other people tell me that I'm fine the way I am but I just don't feel it a few pounds heavier than my ideal weight. I am not a model, I occasionally help out friends who are fashion designers but I do not do it as career so don't have to be a certain weight for anyone else.

I don't want to become twiggy, it is a small amount of weight loss I'm going for and it is also about getting fitter and more toned.
  • matthewlatch
    matthewlatch Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is old but I've done a fair bit of research on this diet and the one thing you can do is increase your portions. The diet is more about the type of food you're eating which is why is so important not to add or swap any other food types. It's a chemical diet. D
    For example the grapefruit will break down fat cells pretty fast as will the eggs. For a crash diet this ones pretty good.