How do I stop myself from binging?

Options
I feel a binge coming on and this usually happens once a week or if I'm lucky, 2 weeks. Today has been horrible. I'm 100 calories away from my calorie goal but it's only past lunch time. What should I do to prevent myself from eating more and going on a full blown binge? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks

Replies

• Lady_Flux
    Lady_Flux Posts: 7
    Options
    Don't deprive yourself. I find that if you allow yourself to have a small treat everyday (maybe some chocolate in the evening or a scoop of ice cream) this gives you something to look forward to. But that's just what works for me.
  • bv109
    bv109 Posts: 83
    Options
    drink water, eat foods that will keep you satiated
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    If your calorie goal is realistic and healthy, just say No. Don't eat it. Willpower. It's okay to be hungry sometimes when you're losing weight. Try to incorporate more healthy food that leave you feeling fuller with fewer calories - lettuce, fresh fruit and veggies, stuff you can eat a ton of for very few calories.

If your calorie goal is unhealthy and not realistic, then you need to eat. Set your daily goal higher so that you don't have to binge because you're starving.

If you haven't seen a doctor to supervise your weight loss journey, do that. They know best. :)
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Eat "good" (whatever that means to you) 80% of the time. Fit yummy, portion-controlled treats into your calorie goal. Deprivation can lead to bingeing.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • Adefowler
    Adefowler Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I usually feel a binge coming on when I haven't had enough water. Stay hydrated. Chew gum. Go to bed. :-)
  • sltovey
    sltovey Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    eat foods that will keep you satiated

This.

For me, those foods are high-protein foods: pumpkin protein pancakes, peanut butter/pb2, Greek yogurt, cheese, beans, meat, high protein cereals, etc. They keep me away from the kitchen for hours, without even thinking about food (really!) and I'm historically an overeater (to the extent that I'm about 5-10 pounds more than my personal ideal...so not full-on binging, but certainly overeating).

I find that preplanning my meals to hit about 90g of protein every day helps me make much better choices without feeling deprived. (I've been strength training for about 4 weeks now, found that I was overeating more than usual, and realized that I was nowhere near my protein needs.)

Good luck!
  • jmacavoy
    jmacavoy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I agree with bv109. We often mistake hunger for thirst so get plenty of water down you. Try fizzy water. I find the gas in it makes me feel less hungry. It gets me through to the next meal. I ensure I plan my meals each day with lots of salad and veg to bulk it out and plan in an end of day treat (frozen yoghurt, low cal ice lolly, cereal bar). If I've been good, I get the treat. I found the hunger pangs were quite severe to start with but do ease off when the food intake becomes the normal.
  • sweetilemon
    sweetilemon Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    What about a large salad? I enjoy salad and very filling for the calories. If your still hungry drink some water and maybe go for a walk? It'll get you some extra calories to eat back and maybe take your mind off binging? Try fill meals out with veg it'll make you feel fuller.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    Prelogging your food the night before or in the morning can help. That way all your good choices have already been made.
  • Gabryka
    Gabryka Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I usually have something healthy that fills me up followed by something I crave, like 2 squares of hersheys chocolate. That way I'm full and the last taste I have is something I have a tendency to binge on if I deprive myself.
  • Mykaelous
    Mykaelous Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I used to binge when I was put in a situation where there was a lot of food to eat and I didn't have to pay for it(parties, barbecues, etc). I normally avoid those now or go in with a plan and eat a protein bar before I go in and carry one on me just in case I feel hungry again. In your case I think instead of telling yourself not to eat, tell yourself that you can eat, but only healthy foods like steamed vegetables. This way you can eat, but if you feel turned off by the food you will realize that you aren't really hungry you just want to eat something tasty which is a mental obstacle you can overcome(overcoming the physical feeling of hunger is much more difficult). When I really feel hungry I will devour just about anything and by giving myself the option to binge on a food I don't particularly desire such as steamed vegetables it means I will only eat to be satiated because I dislike the taste. The other benefit is that vegetables are highly nutritious and low calorie which means that even if you go over your goal you wont go over by much.
  • Bustergirl14
    Bustergirl14 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Remove yourself from the source. Drink a big glass of water and go for a walk.
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I used to be a binge eater, so I'm going to approach this as if you're talking about a real binge eating disorder situation - not just the occasional pig-out. The problem with a lot of the suggestions on here is that binge eating is a mental thing. Even if I knew I wasn't hungry, wasn't thirsty, had enough food, ate satisfying food, it didn't matter. One daily treat would easily turn into 3... or 10. You just want to shove food into your face until you're full, then keep going until you're so uncomfortably bloated that you hurt. It's a mental problem that many should/could seek help for, but they don't.

The binge cravings still come by, but being very aware of the problem has helped me. As much as you can, talk yourself through your craving to binge. You might get angry, sad, or who knows what because you JUST NEED TO HAVE THAT BOX OF (INSERT WHATEVER FOOD). RIGHT NOW. Be prepared for that. Maybe even keep a diary of how you feel when you don't binge vs. how you feel when you do, as a reminder of the negativity binges inevitably bring.

I usually need to leave the house when it gets bad. If you can't leave the house, do something to keep yourself busy: exercise a little, play video games, board games, play with your pet, sit with someone you live with and talk with them for a while without distractions (tv, phones, etc), draw or do something crafty.

If all else fails, I try to keep celery and cucumbers on hand. They are very low calorie, and will let you crunch and chew on it. It won't be the flavor you're looking for (DON'T add peanut butter or anything), but will give you the sensation of eating a LOT with very few actual calories. Try to keep any trigger foods out of the house. It was a loooong time before I was able to have peanut butter or bread in my house again, but it was worth getting things under control.