Have you noticed that MFP groups tend to fizzle out?

Options

Replies

• brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Lady, leave me alone!! It clearly says theyhave WEEKLY WEIGH INS!! And people lose intrest in weight loss!!You need to go back and re read the whole paragraph then go have your evening snack because your snapping at the wrong person my dear!

I'm starting to understand why it might see like "everytime I write something someone comes down my throat!" The above would be a pretty clear example.
  • Bambi8137
    Bambi8137 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to smile and continue to do what I've been doing.. :-) :-) :-)
  • tbrown1974
    tbrown1974 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Lady, leave me alone!! It clearly says theyhave WEEKLY WEIGH INS!! And people lose intrest in weight loss!!You need to go back and re read the whole paragraph then go have your evening snack because your snapping at the wrong person my dear!

I really think you took this the wrong way. I have read many comments by JaneiR36 and she was truly being helpful. She wasn't snapping at you. I didn't think your original comment was intended be funny but it could have been taken that weigh hence the classic response. All the other people were commenting were about why groups fizzle out, not you in particular.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    OP is male, ladies. :smile:

Whoops, my bad :blushing: On the plus side, at least he's got tons of hair! Nah it's not necessarily that, the profile pic was fairly small on my phone and I just assumed incorrectly
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

DDMBW.gif
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    I think I'm in the same group. I didn't do the weekly weigh-ins because I find them pointless. My body drops weight when the deficit has been reached, and it doesn't go by a 7 day schedule. I don't need people taking the time to comment or provide sympathy when my numbers don't change for two weeks, because idgaf about when the weight comes off. I have no interest in doing push-up or plank challenges, because I already have a workout routine with specific goals.

Other than those things, there really isn't much conversation going on in the group. Start some fun conversations if the lack of participation bothers you so much to get people feeling connected and not like the group is just a smaller version of public forums with the same questions over and over.
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    Lololololololol this is funny!!
  • Bambi8137
    Options
    I'm sorry I can't get over this lol!!! His face
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

Let me guess, between the two of us, I'm the cranky one?

If you don't want to see my post, click the little triangle beside my name and click ignore user. And don't forget to take your own advise about attitude adjustment. This is a public forum and I'll reply to whatever the hell I want. Follow me?

I just had a snack. Sliced apples sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar. Then baked. It was delicious.

Typically you'd need to read the description of a group to get the full idea of it. Are they doing specific exercises? Keeping under certain goals? Have other rules?

Well here's another possible reason groups fizzle out: people just join without bothering to learn what is expected of them

And another one that is unrelated to this strange exchange and to help me avoid making another post: newer members without proven logging records may be joining the groups as they are certainly welcome to. It's just like on a friend list, the ones that drop off and stop logging in tend to be newer members. I would be curious how many of the 90 original members had more than a 30 day streak, for example. Or even just consistent for over a month or two and maybe lost their streak for any number of reasons

This is very helpful, reasonable input.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I promise everytime I write something someone comes down my throat! It's becoming rediculous.. I didn't know saying I want to join a weight loss group means i think that's the way out. I just think when people have similar goals it's easier to stay with it because you have people around you who are POSITIVE! Tuh... I'll continue to be a ghost follower

Yeah. Seems like you should just stick to the groups.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    Here is another take:

The groups that I see prosper are the ones where the members interact and become friends. Sometimes there is an element of competition.
    Here is a great example of a group that has been going on for a while.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/17713-move-your-ss-challenge

Another good example are groups that require more than just weighing on a scale. Here is another good example:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/22260-3-things-july-2014

Then there are special interest groups which have their own "sub cultures" which cover just about everything you can think of:
    Weightlifting, Running, Religious, Paleo - you get the picture.

I have to admit back in November I was running two groups and i had to leave MFP for 4-5 months at a very short notice to to work and personal circumstances. I am amazed at how people welcomed me back.. but at the same time I am truly sorry and have remorse for leaving some people hanging
  • ihad
    ihad Posts: 7,462 Member
    Options

DDMBW.gif

I recall some saying about doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    When the primary basis of the group is temporary irrational enthusiasm and dreams without much substance? Yes, that's how those things tend to go.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    I find that groups formed for posting silly gifs, smart assed responses, and pointing and laughing at the derp last much longer because of group cohesiveness and a shared goal.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I promise everytime I write something someone comes down my throat!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    OP--one of the best successes for a group is to pair people up. Planks, sit ups, burpees, all work well with accountability. A group of fifty with no partners falls off, but when people are partnered and multiple people know each the accountability goes up. And do not let start dates fool you, I've been around for 2 years.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    I promise everytime I write something someone comes down my throat!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Yes, well it was a holiday weekend, someone was bound to swallow something and have regrets.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    I find that groups formed for posting silly gifs, smart assed responses, and pointing and laughing at the derp last much longer because of group cohesiveness and a shared goal.

Yes. If it is important and meaningful, it will last.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm starting to understand why it might see like "everytime I write something someone comes down my throat!" The above would be a pretty clear example.

this^
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    The good ones don't die out.