Eat, walk, hike, lose zero???

Options
2»

Replies

• SugarFreePanda
    SugarFreePanda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone. I will be using my food scale and checking the cals. I have never focused in on the "confirmed by members" or "asterisk" before... will do that too.

Just a cursory look at your diary appears to show some logging inaccuracies. 3 ounces of banana is more like 75 calories. 15 grapes will depend on the size of the grapes. One medium apple -- medium is relative and can be off by 50 calories or more.

It doesn't look like you are weighing solid foods on a food scale. If this is the case, you are very likely underestimating your calories and overestimating your exercise burns. The good news is, this is easily fixed. :smile:

Get yourself a food scale, and learn 1) to use it to weigh foods accurately and 2) to find the correct food entries in the MFP database. The best entries have no asterisk (*) and are confirmed by hundreds or thousands of members. These entries also give a drop down menu to choose how to measure (grams is the most accurate).

I bet with some tightening of your food/exercise log, you can fix this fast. :drinker:

ETA: Read the sexypants link that editorgrrrl posted. Good stuff in that.
  • SugarFreePanda
    SugarFreePanda Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I thought about that too, insanityxthex. That I may be 'starving' myself (because of increased tiredness, as well).

I will look into the thyroid idea. I have had issues in the past, so maybe it is time to recheck it.

Thank you!
    Third, if we do not get enough nutrition, our bodies will go into starvation mode. What this means is that our metabolism slows and food is turned into fat before it can be burned. You could actually be undereating.
    Fourth, you could have a thyroid problem. Symptoms of hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) include unexplained weight gain. Blood tests can be done to determine if this is the cause, and hypothyroidism can be treated with medication.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i have a fitbit, but it's definitely not accurate when it comes to calorie burn unless your body fat is exactly the average BMI - i'm not even close to the bodyfat for my BMI, so my calorie burn count is way off.

the right heart rate monitor will be a help, but mostly they, too, use generalizations. you can either get a higher end HRM or experiment and see what results are as you add or lower your calories. this will be much more effective if you weigh all food; fruits have plenty of calories from sugar, and medium to one person might be large or small to another, where an ounce is always an ounce if your scale is halfway decent.

you could have a thyroid problem, but most of the people i know who thought they did were simply eating more than they thought or burning less. still, good to be sure!
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    You could have a thyroid problem. Symptoms of hypothyroidism (an underactive thyroid) include unexplained weight gain. Blood tests can be done to determine if this is the cause, and hypothyroidism can be treated with medication.
    I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune thyroid disease). I thought I gained weight for no reason, but once I learned to log everything I eat & drink accurately & honestly, I saw I was eating too much.

OP, calorie burns from any source (even a heart rate monitor) are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories.
  • Ketsiat
    Ketsiat Posts: 5
    Options
    All of the advice here has been great but this is what i think: whenever I tried to lose weight I obsessed. True, gaining 3 pounds after I thought I had sufficiently changed enough of my bad habits for my body to notice would infuriate me, but it wouldn't stop there for me. I'd go into "what's the point" mode and before you knew it, I was packing on the pounds. This time I'm letting my body adjust to the changes at its own pace. I don't "yell" at it if it doesn't give me the results I want on the scale. I also stopped weighing in every day because a little number in the morning was becoming the difference between a great day and an awful day. Those numbers shouldn't have THAT much power. You may need to adjust your eating (too much or too little depends on how honest or accurate you are when you count daily intake). I found out I have been eating way too little myself. My paranoia about gaining a pound or two had me eating fewer times in the day and far less to overcompensate and, frankly, punish myself a little for needing to be on a protocol. The scale can be less of the reward/punishment Great Determinator. If you had a good day or a good week, reward yourself with a nice long hot bath, or something like this. I've been doing it this way and weighing in once a week (rather than everyday, which it sounds like you're already doing), but now I am not devastated if my body doesn't say I lost 3 pounds this week, In fact, I've been losing 1.5 a week. This is great but in the past this would lead me right to the Haagen Daz line because I'd think I've worked out for an hour a day 6 days that week and dramatically changed my eating habits. I want the scale to reflect my drama. Now I routinely reevaluate how i worked out and whether a walk was really a super slow stroll or a moderate pace. I'd relax into reflection and not panic about it. Those three pounds are not enough to convince me that your body is "betraying" you. It's a long term relationship; give your lover a moment to adjust to your new demands.
  • avril2626
    avril2626 Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Ditto what people have been saying, and do the recommended readings including what' s listed here and other resources under "getting started" in forum. I do notice that u have had a couple of days of logging in the high 700's..that will put your metabolism in a mode to store and not burn, and could also account for some fatigue. Also, watch your macros..you sometimes go over in you fats and u want to be sure and get your protein, or close to it, so u hold onto muscle and lose fat. I don,t eat back many exercise cals, but if doing a long strenuous hike, i would try to up a little with nutrient and protein rich foods. (I'm in fremont...r u hiking montara mt? :) ). Do ck your thyroid if you have had problems in the past. Good advice here n all over this site
    Good luck! You'll figure it out...it's math :)