Quitting sugar tomorrow and need support!!!!

Options
Hey there! my name is Sparkyval and I am addicted to sugar!
I have scoured the posts and have only found a bunch of bickering on the subject. Tomorrow I am quitting sugar. I am not looking for a discussion on whether or not that is a bad idea, or whether there is any reality in sugar addiction. I know both sides and I have had it. I am sick of relinquishing my power over to this stupid powder. I am looking for support from anyone that has successfully accomplished this or anyone who wants to attempt it with me.
I have successfully dropped 85 pounds and for the most part kept it off for over a year now...BUT, I have 40 more pounds that I need to drop. Instead of reaching my goal, I have become tired, and weak... and always dreaming of my next fix...sugar.

Once I lived a sugar free life. I have decided the control and freedom I felt then is way better than fighting off constant defeat from this inanimate power.
So... if anyone has quit successfully I could use a mentor but will take any support I can get to gain my independence! I sure hope I can find someone to walk beside me...but even if I don't... I know I have to do this.

Replies

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    All sugar gone?
  • healthyfoxx
    healthyfoxx Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Best of luck! Serious question: Are you cutting out added sugars, or ALL sugars?

I saw a friend doing a no sugar for 30 days thing, but was a bit confused by it. Even veggies have sugar in them! I would be sad without my peas and carrots. What exactly are you planning on eating?
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    I think I'm wondering the same thing? No fruit, no veges?
  • sparkyval
    sparkyval Posts: 32
    Options
    yea I don't mean all sugar... not nutzo , but the processed and hidden stuff with empty nutritional value. You know, the stuff that your body is like what do I do with this? The stuff that sets me off balance. Maybe I should post I will be eating "clean" Don't know how to say it. When I don't eat processed sugar and sadly I never thought about it but when I don't eat things like bread... I am not thinking about how I can sneak a piece of cake into my plan... I am happy with the real food. When I start to fit in these little treats that fit nicely actually into my calorie allotment... I feel like crap, I keep ending up anemic and worst of all... I am always planning my next fix.

I am strangely not a fan of carrots or peas lol... but maybe I would be if I were not eating so much processed sugar. I love things like bok choy and mushrooms...spinach etc. Don't eat much fruit either. Does that make sense?
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Best of luck! Serious question: Are you cutting out added sugars, or ALL sugars?

I saw a friend doing a no sugar for 30 days thing, but was a bit confused by it. Even veggies have sugar in them! I would be sad without my peas and carrots. What exactly are you planning on eating?
  • sparkyval
    Options

Incidentally, this is why I am asking for support... I am not sure what I need to eat to get back to that place... I have spent the evening researching what foods lend themselves to spikes and what don't aside from the processed ones... For example, I love raisins but I know I can't touch them...can't... because I can't stop myself... so ... yea I would like to know if there is a plan that is good that what would I call it then... low natural sugar and no processed sugar. This is what I am looking for and want to do... but I am not waiting until I find it... I am starting tomorrow to at least cut out the processed stuff... and I am not sure I can make it through the initial tough days.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    :sick: Sounds miserable.
  • angawilson
    angawilson Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, 10 days a.go I admitted that sweets was ruling my life. So I have cut out all sweets (cake, cookies, pies and ice cream). But I have added more fruit into my day. My goal is to not crave sweets, but have a dessert once in a whole.... good luck
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sugar addiction? Sugar free life? Cannot eat raisins? Well, I'm with you there as they are the fruit of the devil and just gross!

Eat what you like that you believe is "sugar free" and within your calorie/macro goal. But honestly, if you do not think you can make it through the initial days, then you probably will not make it. Your mind is ready yet. Good luck tomorrow :flowerforyou:
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I always found things like hard boiled eggs, nuts, seeds and oatmeal good for taking the edge off sugar cravings.
  • sparkyval
    Options
    Thanks guys... does anyone know of like a written out plan that I could follow so I could just robot out the first few days? Will definitely be doing the eggs and nuts thing... I know it sounds miserable and that is why once I fell from grace I never went back... but I will tell you not being in control is really what is miserable... I mean I am seriously like a drug addict. It is ruling my life and that can't be ... it can't be.
    Oh oatmeal... how I love you... maybe too much though...course without sugar I can probably keep you in line lol!
  • Peaceloveandhealth
    Peaceloveandhealth Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi Sparkyval =) I totally know how you feel and where you are coming from. I know people (a lot here on MFP) don't believe in sugar addiction but I can assure you I am addicted. If you are constantly thinking, wanting, searching for your next sugar fix then what else would someone call it other than an addiction? Anyway... I am always trying to control my sugar intake. I've done all sorts of tricks and diets to control my cravings. Atkins actually DOES control them however I can't stick to that kind of eating forever so I stopped. I've tried having stevia flavored beverages instead of sugar but just tasting something sweet triggers a sugar binge. So I too am trying to cut out all sugars from my diet. It is so hard. I'm fine for the first half of my day then towards the evening all I want is a candy bar! It's insane! :sad: I've tried "getting rid" of all junk from my house but find myself driving to 7-11 at 3am for candy. Just know that you are not alone in this fight :smile:
  • jlarsen76
    jlarsen76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you on the sugar/sweets addiction! Chocolate is my weakness.

I actually just downloaded a book to my iPad called "The Belly Fat Cure" and it talks about not eliminating sugar completely, but limiting it (and carbs) to just 15g per day. I have been more cognizant of how much sugar is in things since starting that book. It also gives you awesome ideas of what food to eat and which to avoid, especially when it comes to packaged items. It has a lot of low-no sugar recipes.
    Just make small changes every day for a week or so, and see if it's manageable. For example, I started using vanilla almond milk in my coffee vs sugar-loaded creamer and that significantly cuts down the sugar. I find that if I try to completely cut out sugar, I'm a very angry bear.

I wish you all the luck! If you get sweet cravings, try chewing spry gum (I've heard it helps).
  • TX_Rhon
    Options
    Thanks guys... does anyone know of like a written out plan that I could follow so I could just robot out the first few days? Will definitely be doing the eggs and nuts thing... I know it sounds miserable and that is why once I fell from grace I never went back... but I will tell you not being in control is really what is miserable... I mean I am seriously like a drug addict. It is ruling my life and that can't be ... it can't be.
    Oh oatmeal... how I love you... maybe too much though...course without sugar I can probably keep you in line lol!

Comparing your inability to eat sensibly to a drug addiction is insulting.

I do wish you success.
  • Peaceloveandhealth
    Options
    Wow very rude. I see nothing wrong with comparing the two. People "choose" to do drugs knowing they are addicting and people "choose" to eat sugar knowing the same. Both drugs and sugar can be deadly. Too much sugar causes obesity which can kill you just as drugs can kill you when doing too much. Until you walk a mile in my shoes....
  • TX_Rhon
    Options
    Wow very rude. I see nothing wrong with comparing the two. People "choose" to do drugs knowing they are addicting and people "choose" to eat sugar knowing the same. Both drugs and sugar can be deadly. Too much sugar causes obesity which can kill you just as drugs can kill you when doing too much. Until you walk a mile in my shoes....

I wished her success, did I not? If you want to call me rude for not agreeing with her then go ahead. Please note that sugar is not listed as a drug anywhere. But until you walk a mile in my shoes, you should not compare sugar addiction to drug addiction. It's a two way street!

But thanks for the name calling.
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    There is at least one Dr. Fuhrman "Eat to Live" group on MFP that you might consider joining. Another approach is instead of taking anything away, just adding more vegetables until you start craving them, and there is less room left on the plate for anything else.

I gave it up gradually instead of cold turkey - first no artificial sweeteners, then no sugar in my coffee, now it's only in condiments and very rare desserts. I eat a lot of fruit now. The only juice I drink is wine once in a while. After 6 months I don't miss it so much. My mind is clearer and my body hurts less. Good luck!
  • sparkyval
    Options
    You guys.. my life is so positive now that I have lost 85 pounds... and when I see really obese people I know their pain because I was morbidly obese... but make no mistake... I have had two years to process all of this and review my life and how I got to where I am. I don't think food is addictive BUT I DO HOWEVER BELIEVE THAT SUGAR IS AS ADDICTIVE as alcohol for certain people... it is all in the genes...lets keep it positive... I live my life from my experience and from those of others... when a substance controls you to the point that your relationships begin to suffer and you can see it but you are powerless to stop it... that substance has to go... so call it what you like... I call it addiction and I won't have it... if it controls me and it isn't God, it has to go...
    Believe it or not... the one person's comment that calling it an addiction offends her is actually waking me up... I am empowered suddenly... I remember who I am and who I am never going to be again... it goes... other people can operate under moderation like I can drink moderately... but I can't eat processed food food... whatever is in it... hormones... sugar... empty chemicals... whatever it is holds me fast ... I have to admit I am in fact addicted. I have to ... I have pretended I could handle it but I can't....and I choose not to be overcome by it anymore...
  • Peaceloveandhealth
    Options

I wished her success, did I not? If you want to call me rude for not agreeing with her then go ahead. Please note that sugar is not listed as a drug anywhere. But until you walk a mile in my shoes, you should not compare sugar addiction to drug addiction. It's a two way street!

But thanks for the name calling.

People who are or have been addicted to drugs were not forced to do them. People have known drugs are addicting for decades yet they still chose to do them. Sugar on the other hand was given to me as a child and I did not have a choice. Cigarettes are not considered a drug either yet people are addicted. It doesn't have to be a drug to be addicting. Gambling is also not a drug yet it is addicting. Please be sensitive to others and don't judge. We are all on our own journey....have some respect.
  • sparkyval
    Options
    There is at least one Dr. Fuhrman "Eat to Live" group on MFP that you might consider joining. Another approach is instead of taking anything away, just adding more vegetables until you start craving them, and there is less room left on the plate for anything else.

I gave it up gradually instead of cold turkey - first no artificial sweeteners, then no sugar in my coffee, now it's only in condiments and very rare desserts. I eat a lot of fruit now. The only juice I drink is wine once in a while. After 6 months I don't miss it so much. My mind is clearer and my body hurts less. Good luck!
    Okay so this Dr. Furhman is a low sugar group? Thanks... I already don't use sweeteners and I don't drink juice. Like I said this started weaseling its way back into my life when i started eating those diet desserts. At first it was occasionally... then it was I cut out part of meal to be able to fit more in... then suddenly I am anemic and weak and ... strategizing when I can sneak another one in instead of my meal.... and now I am like forget it all ... all i want to eat is cake haha!
    I really would like to have friends to do this with because I know once I am off it for a few weeks i am golden.... When I don't eat it I don't even want it... will do a search on this guy... thanks!