Exercise confusion

Options
I have a question regarding exercise, HRM and Calories burned. I'm new to all of this tracking etc and I'm just blown away by my most recent" workout".

I have been biking or slow jogging on the weekends for 20 min and burn an average of 245 calories. When I am done I'm sweaty and tired.

My main form of exercise is horseback riding which I do Monday thru Friday for a min of an hour. I totally expected (based on how my body feels after) my HRM to show 250 calories burned but much to my surprise it showed 618 calories burned in 75 minutes. Now don't get me wrong riding IS physically hard and when I first started it was extremely hard now that I've become totally accustomed to it it's quite easy for me. I do get off and my hair is totally soaked (even when it's 32* outside) and the back of my shirt is wet.

So my question is: 1. If I actually burn this many calories while riding why am I not skinny? Is it bc I really was eating that much more than I was burning + what I was burning while riding? I haven't done the math but that's an enormous amount of calories. and 2. If riding one horse burns that much what happens to all the skinny women who ride 10-12 horses a day and don't really eat a ton? Why haven't they shriveled up and died (lol I'm just kidding) but seriously if they are burning 6000 calories a day and only eating 2500.....what happens or what is going on?

I'm just trying to figure this all out and I'll probably never run again!! (I hate it! ) I think I'll just up my riding from 5 days to 6 and take one day off a week.

Any info appreciated!

Replies

• dqbound
    Options
    Insight anyone?
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    1. you aren't actually burning that many calories riding. bikes nor horses
    2. as you improve your riding technique, you'll be more efficient and burn less calories. bikes and horses.
    3. if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain weight. burn 6000, eat 6300, gain 30 pounds a year
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    2. as you improve your riding technique, you'll be more efficient and burn less calories. bikes and horses.
    3. if you eat more than you burn, you'll gain weight. burn 6000, eat 6300, gain 30 pounds a year

x1
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    are you jumping or doing dressage?

or what? looks like dressage from where I'm sitting it looks like dressage and an active seat and a working leg is WORK.

I'm not sure i'ts 600 calories worth of work- but it's work.

I would definitely consider it work.

That being said- sweat does not a good workout make- esp considering you are probably wearing a helmet- and that just is even more sweaty.
    I would take up some form of actual exercise.

I rode for many many years (my poor retired pasture puff hates me I think that I don't anymore)- and while it's work- we still carried on with an actual fitness program. There is no progresive loading- and it's not consistent training- it's going to be different with each time you step in the saddle. I'd add in 2 sessions of SOMETHING a week on top of the training/riding.
    motorcycles bikes?

riding a horse is WAY more work than riding a motorcycle- unless you are at the track. or doing aggressive canyon riding.
  • dqbound
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I ride dressage (3rd level). What I don't understand is if the HRM has me in the zone for 59 minutes and says I burned 600 calories am I actually burning those calories? If not why and how can I trust the HRM for any reading be it riding a horse or running or riding a bike? my average HR was 140 with a max of 158. I'm not planning on eating back those calories but I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and getting in a work out.

I normally ride M-F and I started biking and walking (only 20-30 min on Sat and Sunday. I just want to make sure I'm doing enough. I'm not sure I can do any more than that.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    The unfortunate thing is that HRM's often overestimate calories burned....as does the MFP database. You are definitely burning calories doing those activities, but I would say use half of your HRM calories burned as a baseline, rather than the whole amount. At the end of the day, your results will tell you how accurate your numbers are. Take a 4 week period and track your results and then make adjustments from there.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    HR =/= calorie burning rate. ditch the HRM
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    The HRM itself only counts heartbeats, it has no idea what activity you're doing, and the calculation it does assumes you are doing steady state cardio (walking/jogging/running).

So whether you're sitting on the couch or just holding your breath, it's going to calculate things like you were walking/jogging/running. The same applies to riding horses.
  • arl1286
    arl1286 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about HRMs but I know a lot about riding. It's definitely a workout-- especially if your horse is on the greener side (and especially if you're doing sitting trot with no stirrups ughhhh). (This is why you always lose weight after horse show weekends! Of course, that also involves walking everywhere and not having time to eat anything.) But 600 calories in 70 minutes is just under the calorie burn for running a 10 minute mile for the same amount of time. I'm a runner as well, and I can tell you: the running is definitely more physically taxing.

The way I see it, I'd rather overestimate my food and underestimate my calories burned.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies. I ride dressage (3rd level). What I don't understand is if the HRM has me in the zone for 59 minutes and says I burned 600 calories am I actually burning those calories? If not why and how can I trust the HRM for any reading be it riding a horse or running or riding a bike? my average HR was 140 with a max of 158. I'm not planning on eating back those calories but I just want to make sure I'm eating enough and getting in a work out.

I normally ride M-F and I started biking and walking (only 20-30 min on Sat and Sunday. I just want to make sure I'm doing enough. I'm not sure I can do any more than that.

3rd level you are DEFINITELY working- but it's not progressive training. I'd add 2-300 calories above mainantce (figure that out) to compensate for the riding and then go from there.

If you can do some form of HIIT training instead of walking- you might save yourself some time and energy- you shouldn't need anything more than 30 minutes every 2 or 3 times a week. But I would suggest you up the intensity to get more results out of it.
  • dqbound
    Options
    use half of your HRM calories burned as a baseline, rather than the whole amount. At the end of the day, your results will tell you how accurate your numbers are. Take a 4 week period and track your results and then make adjustments from there.

I'd MUCH rather ride for an hour and count 300 calories (half of what the HRM says) than jog for 20 min for the same 300.

HR =/= calorie burning rate. ditch the HRM
    What does this mean?
    So whether you're sitting on the couch or just holding your breath, it's going to calculate things like you were walking/jogging/running. The same applies to riding horses.

So are you saying it's accurate?

Ari1286: Yes horse show weekends are taxing to say the least. All of my actual work is done sitting and yes it takes a LOT of core muscles so I know I'm getting a workout I just can't figure out how much. I agree it feels more taxing to run than ride but is that just because running is an impact exercise and riding is pretty much non impact?

Off to google HIIT training.............
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    First question- ALWAYS- is how reliable is my measuring device?

Your hrm is approximating your calorie burn, and there are lots of factors affecting the readout.

I'll second the advice to track your progress and adjust based on results .
  • Cherylk_27
    Options
    I just bought the Polar FT60 and it said I burned 575 calories in 1 hour of Jumping and cantering. I'm not sure if it's accurate as well but it would definitely explain why I am so hungry after I ride :S