Trying to create a bodyweight training program...

Options
Hello! So... I'm just trying to get myself started on some sort of exercise program. Obviously, I'd like to do some cardio, in conjunction with some strength training. I'm not one for the gym, and also, don't have the extra cash to blow on a membership... so I'd like to create a bodyweight training program for myself.

Ideally it would be something that I could do outdoors, at a park (weather permitting) or indoors. I don't have much for equipment, though at home I have chairs and in a park there would be benches (I'm thinking along the lines of "dips" and things like that).

The only other criteria is noise level. Since I live in an apartment and live above people, anything that involves a lot of bouncing/jumping hard is probably out.

So... aside from push-ups and dips I'm having a hard time coming up with much of a list. I want to ensure I'm getting all muscle groups as well. Please help :)

Replies

• sarahwinder78
    sarahwinder78 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    You might get some good ideas on this website: http://neilarey.com/

I use it all the time for no-equipment needed workouts. There are TONS of workouts and you can sort them by what kind of training you are looking for (e.g. cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.).

Plus....it's FREE! :)
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    A good body weight strength program is really hard to design, so you should find a proven program and follow it. These are three good books:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Pay close attention to the progressions, which can be tricky. Keep the book handy and refer to it when you're not sure about how the progressions should work.

I hear YAYOG has a good phone app that goes with it, but I haven't used it myself.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    A good body weight strength program is really hard to design, so you should find a proven program and follow it. These are three good books:

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

Pay close attention to the progressions, which can be tricky. Keep the book handy and refer to it when you're not sure about how the progressions should work.

I hear YAYOG has a good phone app that goes with it, but I haven't used it myself.

^These plus there is nerdfitness.com that has a couple free programs available.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

You Are Your Own Gym
    Body By You
    Convict Conditioning

^^yep.
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options

I use it all the time for no-equipment needed workouts. There are TONS of workouts and you can sort them by what kind of training you are looking for (e.g. cardio, strength, flexibility, etc.).

Thanks for this. I don't have a gym where I live, so I have to use my own body weight. I just popped on this website - This looks great. Tons of exercises to mix and match. I'm going to mix up my work out tomorrow! :drinker:
  • pamelafisher85
    Options
    hahaha... I was just checking out nerdfitness in another window :)
  • pamelafisher85
    Options

Awesome! Thank you :)
  • Makhai_
    Makhai_ Posts: 146 Member
    Options