The Importance of Failure

Options

Replies

• oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to recommit to my goal every single day!! I consider it my "practice".

Practice -- what a great way to express it. My Buddhist friend has his practice--multifaceted and deep--and I like the idea that I too have my own practice. I actually think the goals might be the same between he and I. That is, working on life's complexities, sorrows and triumphs toward a productive and peaceful self.
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    If you never have bad days, you're probably not doing it right. If you never have good days, you're definitely not doing it right.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    CoSign!

It has taken me a long time to learn this lesson. Some days I ask myself which I want more. To eat this giant thing or ice cream or keep losing. Some days I have chosen the ice cream some days I chose to lose.

And either way, we are engaging with ourselves. Your approach acknowledges our agency, our power of decision. So often in my past I have felt helpless and therefore hopeless. Trying to live more deliberately with less resistance has been paying off this time around.
  • RabbitLost
    RabbitLost Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I think Michael Jordan said it best:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

You view on failing is really that of one of the greatest winners of our time. And therefore i have little doubt you, too, will succeed.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    If you never have bad days, you're probably not doing it right. If you never have good days, you're definitely not doing it right.

That's great! Exactly this.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :drinker:
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    I think Michael Jordan said it best:

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."

You view on failing is really that of one of the greatest winners of our time. And therefore i have little doubt you, too, will succeed.

Just a few days ago I posted Gretzky's quote about you miss 100% of the shots you don't take." I love this Jordan quote, thanks!
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    I :heart: this post so hard
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I have a quote on my fridge

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now"

The whole post is great..especially the reply above
  • shiningpotential
    Options

"If I quit now, I will soon be back to where I started. And when I started, I was desperately wishing to be where I am now"

Wow. That sums it up beautifully.
  • b4tb4t
    b4tb4t Posts: 30
    Options
    Beautifully said. :)
  • Welshgem84
    Welshgem84 Posts: 45 Member
    Options

most amazing quote and sums up perfectly what I try to tell myself every time I find myself struggling and wanting to give up!! Thank you for putting it into words for me!!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Thank you.

I hated being fat. HATED it.

But when I look back at the personal and health lessons I learned each if the three times I've become overweight/obese, I wouldn't give up those learning for anything.

It's like muscle building. The real work starts when you are tired. You get the most out of pushing when you think you are about to fail.
  • Raisingsonshines
    Raisingsonshines Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    this made me cry.. (doesnt help I am listening to Sia)
    I needed to see this.
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    Thank you.

I hated being fat. HATED it.

But when I look back at the personal and health lessons I learned each if the three times I've become overweight/obese, I wouldn't give up those learning for anything.

It's like muscle building. The real work starts when you are tired. You get the most out of pushing when you think you are about to fail.

I really like that comparison. I didn't know that, either, about muscle building!
  • oedipa_maas
    Options
    this made me cry.. (doesnt help I am listening to Sia)
    I needed to see this.

Sia is the WORST. :)

Big hug to you!
  • Veil5577
    Veil5577 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Well said. Excellent post
  • fragileelegance
    fragileelegance Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thank you for this, much needed!
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I have to recommit to my goal every single day!! I consider it my "practice".

That's a fantastic perspective. All of life is really about daily practice.
  • frizico
    frizico Posts: 30
    Options
    I was meant to read this today. Thank you so much for posting.