No carbs starches or sugar?

Options
13»

Replies

• beautifulwarrior18
    beautifulwarrior18 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    I would get a second opinion; however, no one on here is an expert in weight loss surgery. They are very risky and it's incredibly important to follow the steps your doctors and dieticians give you. I would advise you to get a second opinon and that second opinion needs to come from a dietician who either specializes in weight loss surgeries or has plenty of experience with them.
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Actually the topic of "Brain needs carb for fuel" has been addressed by many low carb/ketogenic diet scientists. The brain does NOT only run on glycogen from glucose. Your body also makes ketones which your brain actually prefers to burn. In fact, I've read that ketones are preferred and more efficient for brain function.

Here's a few excerpts I've found on Psychology today.

"Ketogenic diets, which are very high in fat and low in carbohydrate and protein, have been prescribed for seizures for a long time."

"Breast milk is very high in fat. Newborns spend time in ketosis, and are therefore to some extent ketoadapted."

"For the brain, it means a lower seizure risk and a better environment for neuronal recovery and repair."

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/evolutionary-psychiatry/201104/your-brain-ketones

A longer but more in depth read in the book http://www.artandscienceoflowcarb.com/ The science is quite overwhelming if you would just look into it and put away all prejudice of preconcieved notions that be absolutely need sugar and carbs to thrive. In fact the only carbs that we need should come from micro nutrient dense food, other than that, empty starchy sugary food serves us no purpose other than short term fuel which we often don't burn away quick enough anyway.

Wow, thank you for all that info. Very informative.
  • MyIrishSpirit
    MyIrishSpirit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    When my mom had weight loss surgery they told her no sugar at all, no soda or candy. I don't recall them telling her no carbs at all though. I remember making stir fry with rice for her while she was recovering. It's been many years now and she drinks soda and eats candy again.

I don't know, I'd get a second MEDICAL opinion if I were you.
  • lexismomgiraffe
    Options
    I have a friend who had laproscopic banding. In the beginning, it was necessary for her to give up eating a lot of things - she simply couldn't tolerate much and protein was the most important food for her to eat to heal from the surgery. Today, she eats everything - in small amounts.

I found *I* was addicted to sugar. So I gave up table sugar, honey, fructose, etc. and I gave up all *white* carbohydrates (potatoes, white flour, white rice, white pasta). I eat whole grains in small to moderate amounts and a diet rich in fruits and vegetables, lean meats now. I also eat/drink full fat dairy in moderation (organic plain whole milk yogurt about 2-3 oz/day). I have never felt better in my life. I no longer have to struggle to drop weight. And giving up sugar has not been as hard as I thought it would be. After I made it through the first 10 days, I felt like a million bucks, blood sugar evened out, no more cravings, it has been great. But if you told me a month ago that I was going to give up sugar with the CONSTANT cravings I had??? I would have told you you were certifiable! lol

Good luck with your surgery - be good to yourself.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    basically 99% of patients end up having to take hundreds of dollars worth of vitamins each day to make up for all the nutrients missing and ones not being observed by your body

Wrong. 2 multivitamins, Vit D and Vit B12. Done. Is that outside the realm of a reasonable person's vitamin regime? 5 years post RNY.
  • JoelleAnn78
    Options
    I believe the OP is just getting the sleeve. which is just a rubber band filled w/ saline that restricts the stomach size. It can be removed. It can also be adjusted to make less room, or more room if needed.

This is the LapBand you are referencing. The sleeve is completely different.
  • JoelleAnn78
    Options
    First of all I wish you well what ever you decide to do. But I wanted to let you know something about a friend who had the surgery done. He is only allowed to eat protein (meat) he at one bite of kale from his wifes plate and ended up in the hospital. he cannot eat bread or sweets at all and no beans either. He explained it to me that your stomach is so small that it causes your body to digest anything except meat in a way that your body cannot deal with. He has lost alot of weight. But he feels bad and is not very healthy looking. He has become depressed after losing so much weight and now feeling so bad and not being able to enjoy being thinner and having energy to do things with his kids. His medical crew tell him this is normal for those who have had the surgery. He wishes he had known this part before.

I'm sorry for your friend, but this is not the norm. His Dr. is misinformed if he/she thinks it is normal for a Gastric Bypass patient to have so little energy they can't enjoy life. I eat a very balanced and healthy diet that includes all the food groups -- minus processed sugars. I still cannot tolerate cookies, cake, muffins, etc made with white processed sugar. This is a blessing for me and not a curse. I have endless eneergy and run 3-4 miles 2-3x a week and chase a 2 year old without issue.

My stomach is very small - that much is true from above - but my body can still process foods just like anyone else's.
  • Thursdays2014
    Thursdays2014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi - hope you're not getting too hung up about the surgery. After surgery as you know you won't be able to eat as you di - the reason Protein is so important intake is due to it satisfying hunger and also because early on after surgery you may or may not suffer with problems such as having the runs and vomitting. Also - when you go for the surgery they will go through every little detail with you regarding post surgery diet do's and donts and honestly everybody is different in what they can tolerate/what not and the speed at which weight drops off although they do tend to set targets. You will also have to do the pre op diet which if you are having a baypass the sole aim of this is to reduce the size of your liver so there is room for them to work in there!
    I wish you the best of luck and success. Not an easy option as some people think but indeed a last resort.
    Jay