How long does it take?

Options
hj1119
hj1119 Posts: 173 Member
I know the scale fluctuates a few pounds based on water, undigested food, and whether or not you've pooped that day but I'm wondering how long it takes my body to metabolize 3500 extra calories and convert it to physical, visible, measurable pound of fat? If I ate 10 king sized snicker bars in one sitting in addition to my normal maintenance calories that day, how long does it take to become an actual pound of fat on my body?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Within a day. But some of that energy might be used to replenish glycogen stores, rebuild protein, etc, so it wouldn't all go to fat. Why do you ask?
  • hj1119
    Options
    I thought it would take longer than that... I was in a "Biggest Loser" challenge at work and we weighed in on Mondays. My coworkers would all complain that the pizza and beer they packed in over the weekend was the reason they didn't lose. I kind of figured it must take time for your body to put on physical weight - I thought more like a week.

I just have a lot to learn about how the body works :)
  • BoatsnHose
    BoatsnHose Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I usually notice weight gain several days later. For example, If i drink a ton of booze on Friday and Saturday and eat a bunch of of food (wayyy more than calorie limit), I notice it Tuesday or Wednesday.
  • TechMike
    TechMike Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but the thought of ten king sized Snickers bars in one sitting makes me nauseous :sick:
    :laugh:
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I was in a "Biggest Loser" challenge at work and we weighed in on Mondays. My coworkers would all complain that the pizza and beer they packed in over the weekend was the reason they didn't lose.

Most of the weight they gained is fluid retention from the extra carbs and sodium they had over the weekend. Carbs are stored in your body with 3 times their weight of water. And sodium of course retains water. The actual fat they gained over the weekend was probably less than a pound. Remember, a pound of fat is 3500 calories.. which is a LOT.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I was in a "Biggest Loser" challenge at work and we weighed in on Mondays. My coworkers would all complain that the pizza and beer they packed in over the weekend was the reason they didn't lose.

Most of the weight they gained is fluid retention from the extra carbs and sodium they had over the weekend. Carbs are stored in your body with 3 times their weight of water. And sodium of course retains water. The actual fat they gained over the weekend was probably less than a pound. Remember, a pound of fat is 3500 calories.. which is a LOT.

yeah i was going to say sodium and water play a HUGE roll- I weigh in every morning- and I'm always amused the day after sushi- because I'll be honest- I probably consume easily a 1/4 to a 1/2 cup of soy sauce dipping my sushi- the scale effect is pronounced.
  • hj1119
    Options
    Thanks everybody!
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    I don't have an answer, but the thought of ten king sized Snickers bars in one sitting makes me nauseous :sick:
    :laugh:

I used to love those things. Pretty sure they also double as a weapon in emergency situations.