Before Shots...need feedback to continue on

Options
rob_spitzer
rob_spitzer Posts: 54 Member
Hey friends and those I'm not friends with yet (send an invite if you wanna be friends)

I'm looking for brutal, honest feedback...I see this body everyday and have been struggling with my weight in the Army for 18 years. I know from research that I have an endomorph body type and it's tough for us big guys to lose weight. In order for me to continue in my goal I would like feedback from friends and strangers whom I do not know and I consider a neutral so you don't have to worry about making me feel bad or anything like that....strickly constructive criticism....all I ask is I don't want smart *kitten* to post which I know none of us are because we all share a common goal...so I will accept comments, questions, ideas and advice, thanks in advance from the Republic of Korea....fire away
20140707_112144.jpg
20140707_112115.jpg
20140707_112238.jpg

Replies

• CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Is there a special problem right now you need help with? I see you've lost 11 pounds.
  • iMikky
    iMikky Posts: 30
    Options
    You look fit. I can imagine your bf% would be lower, maybe 30%. Keep up the good work!
  • 1LoveChips
    1LoveChips Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Well that’s a very open question; or not even much of a question… unsure as to what sort of feedback you are after, but it is obvious you carry a few extra pounds. What are your goals, and how are you going about achieving them? Are you focusing on diet or exercise, or both? I’m a very similar body shape at the moment, having lost nearly 10Kgs I really relaxed and weight is creeping back on.

Are you still in the army? I would like to think they try to keep you guys pretty fit. Not sure what the nutrition is like, but one saying I keep seeing branded around here is “abs are made in the kitchen”.

Look forward to your progress, and mine!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    whats the actual question?

IMO you could stand to lose a few pounds, if thats what you want to know?
  • rob_spitzer
    Options
    I'm sorry all, your right, I posted rather quickly and hastily without pausing to re-read what I wrote. I guess my question is how would you classify my current body comp status.....poor, fair, good etc....of course my intention is to burn fat and gain muscle but I was really just looking for feedback on what other people see when they view my before shots for the first time....I'm so tired of looking at myself in the mirror and being overweight that I feel like I get even more depressed every time I do, but I thought some feedback from others might help me stay on track and stay motivated
  • rob_spitzer
    Options
    Yes I am still in the Army...have been for 17+ years....yes staying fit is a requirement in the Army, of course they have standards for how the military wants us to look and perform in uniform but a lot comes down to personal discipline and they don't take genetics into account that some people are just born to be large....
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry all, your right, I posted rather quickly and hastily without pausing to re-read what I wrote. I guess my question is how would you classify my current body comp status.....poor, fair, good etc....of course my intention is to burn fat and gain muscle but I was really just looking for feedback on what other people see when they view my before shots for the first time....I'm so tired of looking at myself in the mirror and being overweight that I feel like I get even more depressed every time I do, but I thought some feedback from others might help me stay on track and stay motivated

unfortunately though, all that really matters is how you feel about yourself... if you're depressed then you may want to speak to a doctor, as losing a few pounds wont magically make you feel better. you need to love yourself REGARDLESS of your weight. not because of it.
  • Hell_Flower
    Hell_Flower Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm married, so this is said in an entirely objective way.

I think if you lost maybe up to 20lbs or so...but I like your body type, IMHO it's very masculine.

You don't look overweight per se - carrying a bit extra yes, but you certainly don't look unfit. You look like I'd want you on my side in any sort of fight!
  • Joannesmith2818
    Joannesmith2818 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Maybe try lower the body fat. You have very strong good legs btw!!
  • JoLMahan
    JoLMahan Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    You have a very similar body type to my husband - You may look "bigger" to some people, but a lot of that is pure muscle and bulk. I would focus on getting some extra cardio in where you can rather than looking to build your muscle so much. I agree with the person above that said you have strong legs!
  • qtmonica
    qtmonica Posts: 16
    Options
    Your legs look fantastic, I agree with the cardio comment and also the comment of accepting your self for who you are. Iam 44 years old no matter how hard I work at this I will never ever look 24 again and guess what Iam ok with that, I just want to be the best 44 year old that I can be....love yourself
  • golferd
    golferd Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    You need to cut and sculpt.

Cut: lose weight, hard I know, because you can't spot reduce.

Sculpt: work on exercises that help shape. Example in your shoulders.

I am working on the same goals myself. Trying Body Beast for the same reasons.

You might even explore sodium intake.
  • Anniebotnen
    Anniebotnen Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I see no reason for you to be depressed about how you look! You look very strong and muscular, and as others have said, your legs look great! But you do also carry some extra fat around your middle, which is typical for a male. My recommendation would be to weight train to maintain your current muscle mass ( and burn calories), plus some cardio and eating at a small deficit aimed at losing about 1/2 pound a week.
  • basiabroker
    basiabroker Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    My honest feedback is get a tan. :)
  • rob_spitzer
    Options
    I laughed out loud on that...I wish I could tan naturally which is why I am so white....I guess I would need to try a salon
  • rob_spitzer
    Options
    I'm on board with you...I have cut back on my sodium and sugar intake....I will continue to post progress
  • rsbromley
    rsbromley Posts: 1
    Options
    Looking at your frame you have the build of a potential powerlifter. I don't know how much you workout but I'd say carry on with the cardio but go to the gym and try doing some heavy compound lifts.

Things like deadlifts, barbell squats, bench press and overhead press will burn calories and fire all of your big muscles and raise your metabolism in the process. These are also very functional exercises so should help with your work in the military.

Google Stronglifts 5 X 5 for a good beginner programme and google 'exrx strength standards' for some goals to hit. Lifting heavy weights, combined with cardio, will help you shed those final pounds.

Good luck!
  • stevee290
    stevee290 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Keep cutting man you're going to be ripped.
  • iandroid989
    iandroid989 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Your a little stockier than I but somewhat similar take a look at the body fat %
    http://cdn.builtlean.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/body-fat-percentage-men.jpg

you look like a 30% and would look awesome at a 20% or even better
  • leadslinger17
    leadslinger17 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well first of all thank you for your service.

You look like a strong guy... do you lift a lot? I'd imagine you have a lot of time and professional incentive to work out so that is good. If you're trying to cut and typical cardio isn't your thing, maybe you can find a sport or something to blow of some steam and still get your heart going. The hard thing is the eating, and I feel your pain because I have trouble with that part of it the most.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!