Recipes on a budget (for a college student)

Options
blue696
blue696 Posts: 94 Member
What are some of your favorite recipes that you can cook on a budget. I also keep kosher so preferably no pork, shrimp, or meat and milk mixed.

Thanks guys!

Replies

• rlmassman84
    rlmassman84 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Soup is one of my go to cheap recipes. Most soup recipes can make the more expensive parts of the meal (like meat) go really far. One of my favorites in chicken posole. I will usually serve it with a tortilla on the side for dipping and make cinnamon apples in the microwave for desert.

Chicken Posole

1 large chicken breast- chopped
    4 cups low sodium chicken stock
    2 large carrots chopped
    1 can Rotel
    1 cup onion chopped
    1 garlic clove minced
    1 lime- zested and juiced

Cook the chicken over medium heat in soup pot and set to the side. Add the onions and garlic and cook over medium heat until onions are soft and garlic is fragrant. Add the rotel and the chicken stock. Add the chicken. Bring the soup to a simmer (don't boil) and let simmer for 20 minutes. Add lime zest and juice and serve.
  • ilovelucy711
    ilovelucy711 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I'm a college student too and I feel ya!
  • lattanicole
    lattanicole Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Veggie Fajita is my FAV!!! I use red, orange, and yellow peppers, yellow onion, and mushrooms (however many you want). Sautee them up with a little sunflower oil. Put whatever seasoning you like (i use a little taco seasoning I make myself and some red pepper flakes) heat up some little corn tortillas and there you go! a make a HUGE batch sunday night and eat it for lunch all the time.
  • greenaznpanda
    greenaznpanda Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in college as well, so i definitely can relate to the need for budget meals. Some of my go to budget meals:

1. Warm pasta salad with spicy sausage, kale, and chickpea (great heated up as leftovers). I think I first heard of it looking online, probably from someone like Martha Stewart.

2. Chickpea salad sandwiches. Mash up some canned chickpeas, add a bit of mayo or salad dressing, some finely chopped celery and red bell peppers. Tastes just like tuna salad, and it passed my roommate's taste test.

3. Cole rice and tuna salad. With leftover rice from the night before, I add finely chopped veggies and a can of tuna. Also works great with lentils, canned beans, hard wheat berries or any other kind of grain.

4. Cold spring rolls. Julien cucumbers, carrots, firm tofu. Blanch some mung bean sprouts. Wrap in rice paper with basil (I usually add Perilla leaves as well) and a bit of romaine lettuce.

5. I find doing a whole chicken can be quite economical if you can roast a whole chicken. I eat the dark meat the night of. White meat for chicken salad the next day. Bones reserved for stock that can be frozen.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,585 Member
    Options
    veggie and noodle soups
    homemade vegan chilli
    pasta and tomato sauce
    pasta with sauteed cheap veggies with olive oil and spices
    pb&j wraps
    english muffin pizzas

ETA
    rice cooked in coconut milk and then add some mango , raisins and whatever
    rice cooked in veggie broth , beans , onions and spices
  • strawberrypopsicles
    Options
    There is a recipe book for college students!
    http://health.iupui.edu/docs/SALC Cookbook.pdf

It's just a bunch of very normal foods that are incredibly easy to prepare
  • willrun4bagels
    willrun4bagels Posts: 838 Member
    Options

2. Chickpea salad sandwiches. Mash up some canned chickpeas, add a bit of mayo or salad dressing, some finely chopped celery and red bell peppers. Tastes just like tuna salad, and it passed my roommate's taste test.

This sounds intriguing... Do you cook the chickpeas or anything prior to mixing in the rest?