Endometriosis Diet

Options
Any other ladies out there who are following an 'endometriosis diet' to reduce oestrogen consumption and decrease inflammation/pain? I started several weeks ago by cutting gluten, red meat, dairy, caffeine, and soy from my diet. (also eating primarily organic and reducing added sugar.)

I'd like to find some diaries that I can peruse through to get some meal ideas. Or is anyone else following a similar diet, but with some modifications? I feel like some of the things I'm cutting may have little effect on my condition or there might be something I should be cutting out that I am not. I kind of feel like I'm desperately throwing a dart at the wall right now, trying to find something that will improve my day to day pain levels.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jetgraham
    jetgraham Posts: 2
    Options
    Hey, I'm not following the diet myself (although I do have endo) but here's a blog with some great recipes and tips: http://josephine-eliza.blogspot.co.uk/
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have endo, but have never followed a diet for it. I didn't even know one existed. I DO know that once I stopped over eating, the pain and inflamation I get has been FAR less. I can actually exercise regardless of where I am in teh cycle now, and my period isn't as heavy and painful. I'll take a look and see what hte diet is, but just shrinking myself and getting healthier has really helped. Even when I was overweight, exercising always helped if I was consistent. :)
  • smelons
    smelons Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I am, but aren't consistently logging at the moment (although I have today...). Also, you can join this group: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/868-women-with-endometriosis It's not very active at the moment, but the diet has been brought up recently.

Incidentally, I swear by the diet. If I lapse, I feel it...
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    So, after looking at that diet, no way would I be able to follow it - I like coffee and sugar and flour way too much. I hope it works for you, but if you find it too hard to follow, just getting healthier helps. :flowerforyou:
  • Jenny775
    Jenny775 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have endo too and never heard of a diet specially for it to help with symptoms. I have noticed that regular exercise does reduce the pain. Good luck to you and if you find any foods to avoid or consume that work for you let me know! :)
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Thanks for responding! I've lost a ton of weight in the last several years and I'm pretty healthy (run 3-9 miles most days of the week, eat good foods, etc), which has helped greatly, but I'm still debilitated by pain throughout much of the month. I love love love love love coffee and resisted my doctor's suggestion of cutting it out for years, but since I've stopped consuming caffeine some of my daily symptoms have become greatly reduced (even thought I cry a little every time I smell it.) Also cutting dairy and gluten seems to have helped a bunch too. I've fudged on 'no added sugar,' but I eat it in limited quantities. Avoiding soy is incredibly difficult for me- I would say avoiding gluten and soy are the two most difficult aspects of the diet. Thanks for all your input!
  • bethfartman
    bethfartman Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to post an update to this if anyone ever runs across this thread looking for anecdotal info on this diet. So just a little back story on my condition. I've had pain from endometriosis since high school, getting progressively worse through my late teens/ early 20's. Crazy incapacitating periods, frequent fever, diarrhea, constipation, intense pain around ovulation, constant pelvic pain, pain with sex, heavy bleeding, stabbing fire-poker type vaginal and rectal pain, leg pain, etc. (if you have endo, you probably know the drill.) I've had two surgeries, one ovary removed. I've tried every type of pain management under the sun (oxycodone, pelvic physical therapy, acupuncture, biofeedback... the list goes on and on.) I started an endometriosis diet about 2 months ago, I noticed less shooting vaginal and pelvic pain about a month into it, but my first period after starting the diet was as terrible as ever. HOWEVER, my second period was like a dream. Some cramping, leg pain, etc., but compared to what I've been dealing with for over a decade it was like a vacation complete with unicorns and rainbows. I kept waiting for things to get worse, but the didn't. It was by far the best period I've had in as long a I can remember. I highly suggest an endometriosis diet to help with endometriosis pain management. I had heard about it years ago and it was suggested by several docotors, but never paid it much mind and thought it was a bunch of hippie pseudoscience. It's a little tough to follow at first, but I would have done this years ago if I knew how well it was going to work. The book 'Endometriosis: The Key to Healing Through Nutrition' was really helpful to get started and provide ideas on what to limit in my diet and what to cut.

Here's what I've done:
    Limit added sugar
    No soy products (tofu, soy milk, etc) limit soy in products
    No caffeine (this one has helped tons with day to day pain)
    No gluten (I ate a little gluten last weekend and felt pain within hours. Could have been psychosomatic, but I don't think so)
    No pork or beef
    Only organic chicken and eggs and fish from good sources
    No dairy (cow or goat)
    Primarily organic fruit and veg and anything else
  • lunalee84
    lunalee84 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I don't have endo, but do have pcos. In order to try and get my symptoms under control I have been on a diet that is similar to yours.

Cut dairy, cut caffeine, cut most added sugar ( I still have honey, a square of 90% dark chocolate, fruit when I want it which is a huge improvement from where I started). I've stopped most refined carbs, trying just to stick to veggies and organic, grass fed meats, eggs, etc.

I started 4 weeks ago and I have seen a big improvement in how I feel, my skin, etc. I just joined the other day as I'm not losing weight so I'm trying to keep my calories in check and find some motivation to exercise.

You have to do what is right for your own body, we all react differently, so you have to find the balance.