Need some help

Was just wondering if anyone would care to take a look at my food diary and let me know what you think. I have been eating better and working out consistanly for the past few weeks and have not really lost any weight (as a matter of fact even gained a few lb's back). I am just not sure if I am doing something wrong. I know it takes time but a little concerned that I am headed in the wrong direction. I am 5'1" , about 188 lbs and a size 12. Don't get me wrong I have fit in a few treats and some days my fat is over the recommended % but I try to stick to the suggested % for fat, carbs, and protein with the exception of more protein and less carbs. Any suggestions or help is appreciated.:smile:

Replies

• WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    At a glance, you're very much overestimating your calorie burn.

And I'd personally try to shoot for a calorie net higher than you do on average. But that's me.

(Edit for: spelling is hard)
  • danielle_1134
    danielle_1134 Posts: 4 Member
    I just enter the exercise and the time and let the app do the calculations. For the cycling, I use Endomondo and the calories burned transfer into MFP.
  • KingRagingRajan
    KingRagingRajan Posts: 11 Member
    First off, you need to change your settings or add people as friends if you want others to see your food diary. I will give you some general advice, i was in the same boat as you but It was 5 years ago and i was 180 pounds 5 1 now i am 18 years old 5 7 154 pounds.My advice would be to stop looking at the fat percentage carbs and protein for daily intake have in which you consume, but rather look for healthy foods. In my journey from 180-154 all i had was fast food everyday but I did exercise and was on my high school track team. Here are some foods to consider

- exercise 5 times a week (burn approximately 300-500 calories doing either using the elliptical/crossfit trainer or treadmill)
    - drink green tea in the after breakfast and before you go to sleep (this speeds up metabolism so it makes it easier for you to burn fat)
    -Breakfast- Oats is a great choice along with all sorts of fruits or you could have cereal with a low quantity of sugar such as honey bunches of oats (with almonds) and mix some fruits along with that or whole grain bread with 1 egg with 4 egg whites, which ha s a good source of vitamin A and minerals.

Lunch- i usually make salad and add some chicken to give me some extra protein

Gym workout 30 minutes- i use the ellipticals just because it puts less pressure on the joints and i burn around 410 calories but I work extremely hard and weight also factors in how much you burn during those 30 minutes, you can aim for 300-350 calories in 30 minutes, but it is much easier for you to burn much more weight because of your height to body weight ratio. After your workout, make a protein shake

Simple protein shake- 1 cup of whey's protein powder (chocolate), ice, 1/4 cups of oats and banana
    Dinner- is not that important because you are at your resting state but you can eat anything light really such as Pasta or some Veggies and Chicken
    Make sure you also have a good portion of veggies and fruits
    If you feel hungry at certain times, you can have small snacks such as greek yogurt or granola bars.

Also, if you must have fast food at times
    McDonald's
    Premium Caesar Salad with Grilled Chicken and low-fat balsamic vinaigrette plus Fruit 'n Yogurt Parfait; 375 calories, 9.5g fat (4g saturated)
    Grilled Honey Mustard Snack Wrap plus small french fries; 480 calories, 19g fat (5g saturated)
    Taco Bell
    Fresco Steak Burrito Supreme plus black beans; 430 calories, 10.5g fat (3g saturated)
    Fresco Chicken Soft Taco plus Pintos 'n' Cheese; 330 calories, 10.5g fat (4g saturated)
    Dunkin' Donuts
    Egg White Veggie Wake-Up Wrap plus hash browns; 350 calories, 18g fat (4.5g saturated)
    Tuna Salad Sandwich on an English muffin; 390 calories, 23g fat (3.5g saturated)
    Subway
    6" Subway Club on 9-Grain Wheat Bread with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, green peppers, cucumbers, and Sweet Onion Sauce plus apple slices; 445 calories, 4.5g fat (1.5g saturated)
    Oven Roasted Chicken Salad with tomatoes, green peppers, onions, olives, and cucumbers with honey-mustard dressing plus Yogurt Parfait; 400 calories, 6g fat (1.5g saturated)
    Starbucks
    Chicken & Hummus Bistro Box (hummus, grilled chicken, grape tomatoes, cucumber, and pita bread) plus a banana; 380 calories, 7g fat (1.2g saturated)
    Zesty Chicken & Black Bean Salad Bowl (grilled chicken, black beans, roasted corn, jicama, tomatoes, feta, greens, and quinoa with chile vinaigrette) plus Seasonal Harvest Fruit Blend; 450 calories, 15g fat (2.5g saturated)
    Chipotle
    3 Barbacoa (braised beef) Tacos on soft corn tortillas with lettuce and tomato salsa; 405 calories, 10g fat (2.5g saturated)
    Vegetarian Burrito Bowl with brown rice, black beans, fajita vegetables, lettuce, and roasted chili-corn salsa; 385 calories, 7g fat (1g saturated)
    Wendy's
    Large Chili plus Garden Side Salad (no croutons) with fat-free French dressing 375 calories, 9 g fat (3.5 g saturated)
    Ultimate Chicken Grill Sandwich plus apple slices 440 calories, 10 g fat (1.5 g saturated)
    Panera
    Half Smoked Turkey Breast on Artisan Whole Grain Loaf plus Low-Fat Garden Vegetable with Pesto Soup (from the You Pick Two Menu); 320 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated)
    Power Mediterranean Chicken Salad (no bacon) plus Baked Lays Potato Chips; 430 calories, 17g fat (2.5g saturated)
    Burger King
    Whopper Jr. (no mayo) plus Value-Sized Onion Rings; 410 calories, 18g fat (5.5g saturated)
    Veggie Burger plus apple slices; 440 calories, 16g fat (2.5g saturated)
    KFC
    4 Hot Wings plus Sweet Kernel Corn; 380 calories, 16.5g fat (4g saturated)
    Kentucky Grilled Chicken Breast plus mashed potatoes (without gravy) 310 calories; 10g fat (2.5g saturated)

heres a small list

Any questions, please ask :)) enjoy
  • danielle_1134
    My diary settings are set to public. It says my diary can be viewed at: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/danielle_1134">
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Here's the available data from your recent logs

Intake Exercise calories Net
    1126 481 645
    1074 496 578
    1444 0 1444
    1318 515 803
    1288 0 1288
    1884 321 1563
    1726 957 769
    1171 403 768
    1366 425 941
    1086 474 612
    1415 0 1415
    1642 507 1135
    1653 535 1118
    1503 1057 446
    1126 0 1126

According to this, if your estimates are correct, your average net calories is 976, with a low net of 446 to a high of 1563.

If you were my sister or someone I loved, the first piece of advice I'd give someone trying to lose weight is to maintain either a level calorie intake or a level net calorie intake.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Yes, your diary is public. You're underestimating your food & overestimating your burns. Get a digital food scale, and weigh everything you eat—even packaged food. Measure all liquids with calories. Log everything you eat & drink accurately & honestly for two weeks, then reevaluate. If you're still not losing, eat back 50–75% of your burns.

The Sexypants post should be required reading: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants
  • danielle_1134
    I am not underestimating my food. I measure everything including all condiments dressing, ketchup, everything.
  • KingRagingRajan
    KingRagingRajan Posts: 11 Member
    what are you talking about, you are not living life if you have to weigh your food and record everything you eat there are better things to do in life
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    I am not underestimating my food. I measure everything including all condiments dressing, ketchup, everything.

Using measuring cups to measure solid foods, counting things out by the piece and eyeballing portions will cause your food logging to be inaccurate. So will using entries that are labeled generic. You can get a good food scale for pretty cheap at Walmart or Meijers.