*You've earned 661 extra calories from exercise today

Options

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents - don't ever go by FitBit's calorie burn to earn more calories to eat. I LOVE the FitBit for incenting you to stay active during the day and for making you aware if you aren't active at all. However, it is really just a glorified pedometer - I wouldn't ever count on ANY of the calorie burns (whether accurate or not) as a basis of what to eat back. I definitely don't believe it is a waste of money because I 100% see a difference in both how quickly I lose fat and how I feel when I'm getting 10,000 steps a day (great if you can do this on your own without something tracking you, but I can't). However, if I ate back everything it says I burn during my walks, I wouldn't lose an ounce.

However, if you find you can eat back the calories and want an accurate count - I agree with others - try disconnecting and reconnection. The equivalent of a "reboot."
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options
    This isn't meant to be snarky or ****ty in any way. Re-calculate your calorie deficit with a TDEE or BMR calculation and then put your FitBit on Ebay or Craig's List. Those things are fairly inaccurate and don't account for the calorie "burn" that occurs post exercise. TDEE makes life so much simpler and the MFP calc is far too involved.

Benefits of TDEE
    - it makes things much simpler
    - only need to worry about tracking your daily nutrition
    - no tracking of calorie "burn" via a fairly inaccurate method
    - no worrying about eating back exercise calories "burned"

MFP
    - Requires you to track your regular calorie consumption
    - Requires you to track your exercise calorie "burn" via a fairly inaccurate method
    - Requires you to eat-back calories burned from exercise

To me MFP's calc seems like a major pain in the *kitten* for managing your nutrition plan, keep it simple.
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I believe this just demonstrates how incredibly efficient you are. I'd go ahead and eat that pan of cinnamon rolls, just so you don't go into starvation mode.

Finally!

Someone with some *real* advice that isn't mean and snarky and useless.

Thank you for actually reading and understanding my post and providing a meaningful response that actually makes sense.

Ha - Well Played!
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Check your FitBit is showing the correct time. Could be showing yesterday's activity today? Happened to mine recently and I was gradually losing a few hours a day so my morning walk to work eventually began to sync to the previous day. FitBit happily replaced it. Could be your timezone has reset itself or maybe the box that lets you use estimated predicted burn?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Check your FitBit is showing the correct time. Could be showing yesterday's activity today? Happened to mine recently and I was gradually losing a few hours a day so my morning walk to work eventually began to sync to the previous day. FitBit happily replaced it. Could be your timezone has reset itself or maybe the box that lets you use estimated predicted burn?

My first thought was that it was for yesterday...because my fitbit didn't sync w/ fitbit.com during the day/evening yesterday. However, I checked and it appropriately calculated an adjustment for yesterday, so I don't think that's it.

I'm still going with an adjustment to fitbit's estimated calculation for my above-average intake vs my lower-than-expected weight increase during that time.
  • Barbellarella_
    Barbellarella_ Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    DId you accidentally change your Fitbit food log settings? If you had it set to sedentary before (Starts out low and lets you earn calories as you are active throughout the day), but then accidentally changed it to Personalized (uses past history to estimate calories you will burn) then I could see why it might change like that.

If not, maybe change it to sedentary and see if it still acts wonky for a few days.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options
    I can never understand how people think the TDEE method can be more accurate than something you wear that actually moves with you? Surely you've had to make a fairly inaccurate assumption of your burn rate for that? What happens if the class you usually do gets cancelled or you are unable to go but your calorie goal relies on the assumption you've attended? Eating more on exercise days and less when you don't makes perfect sense to me - after all, wouldn't a non-dieter eat more naturally on a day they'd been especially active?
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    And this my friend is why a FitBit is so unreliable and a total waste of money.

Blasphemy
  • martinel2099
    martinel2099 Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    If it looks too good to be true then it probably is. Reduce it's estimate and go with something lower. Worst case scenario you add a little extra deficit this week.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

My first thought was that it was for yesterday...because my fitbit didn't sync w/ fitbit.com during the day/evening yesterday. However, I checked and it appropriately calculated an adjustment for yesterday, so I don't think that's it.

I'm still going with an adjustment to fitbit's estimated calculation for my above-average intake vs my lower-than-expected weight increase during that time.

Check your Fitbit dashboard and look at the graph that breaks down your calorie burn by time chunks, and make sure there's nothing crazy. 1733 calories actually burned by 10:48am seems like a LOT for less than 1,000 steps, regardless of your size or previous activity or whatnot.
  • WaterBunnie
    Options

Blasphemy

Agreed! I've lost 91lbs since getting mine.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Aha!

Logged my workout last night as 9:35 long (instead of 1:05 and ending at 9:35p).

So that wiped out most of my calorie adjustment for yesterday and all of it for today.

DAGNABBIT!

I knew I should have eaten those cinnamon rolls first and *then* tried to figure this out.

:kicks rocks:
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    Glad I didn't already sell it on ebay (or stomp it into pieces or whatever the various advice was to get rid of it).

*phew*

Dodged a bullet there.
  • Barbellarella_
    Options
    Glad I didn't already sell it on ebay (or stomp it into pieces or whatever the various advice was to get rid of it).

*phew*

Dodged a bullet there.

So glad your precious is still ok.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?

Did you park in NY and walk to your office in North Carolina?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    clearly you've worked hard.

have a beer with the full pan of cinnamon rolls.

This woman is wise.

Perhaps even:

terrapin-wake-n-bake-cinnamon-rolld-wake-n-ba-L-MDkv5D.jpeg
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

Pft. I've been maintaining my weight for months with no issue with my activity tracker. I'm not sure how lolmfpguesswork would be any more accurate
  • golfgirl15
    golfgirl15 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Two years no problems....new batteries my guess
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options

I've had this happen to me now twice in the last couple of weeks, where I have a more inactive day than usual and suddenly when I look at the stats the next day, I have an extra 500+ calories. I've emailed them about it both times, and the second time they actually did want me to turn my tracker off and on again, but I'm not sure how that's going to fix it.

FWIW, they won't admit to this being a new feature, which is my current guess. I suppose it would be nice if you left your tracker at home for it to give you your average burn instead of no information at all, but what if I'm just lazy?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    How fat are you?

How fat would I need to be to have that kind of burn from walking from the parking garage to my office?

Did you park in NY and walk to your office in North Carolina?

:laugh: :laugh:

Your puppy is freakin' adorable. Want.