Starvation Mode?

Options
I'm really new to the diet world and am curious about what kicks your body into starvation mode. My calories are set at 1200 per day, without exercise. I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and burn around 300 calories during the 30 min workout. I know that allows me to eat a total of 1500 calories a day, but I'm not. I've only been netting around 1100 per day. Is that bad? When will my body start to think I'm starving and quit burning calories?

Replies

• Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Net at least 1200 calories or your metabolism will slow down.
  • AdamATGATT
    AdamATGATT Posts: 573 Member
    Options
    Yup. Try to get at least 1200 net calories.
  • ashlee954
    ashlee954 Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    It's different for everyone. It won't happen in a few days though. 1100 isn't TOO bad. 1200 NET is the typical rule-of-thumb for females but I know of many women who eat 1000-1100/day and consistently lose. They are, however, under the supervision of a physician. If you're truly not hungry then just see how it goes. If your weight loss halts and you hit a plateau consider upping your calories by a couple hundred. This usually does the trick just fine.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    personally, I don't think that is going to kick you in starvation, but thats my opinion. I exercise every day and do not eat my exercise calories, but I don't overdo it either, as per my diet plan. I think if you are eating really good healthy, solid 1100 calories and not getting 1100 calories from 3 slices of pizza, say, then I would be happy. Others will disagree though, I guarantee that.
  • TateFTW
    TateFTW Posts: 658 Member
    Options
    I'm really new to the diet world and am curious about what kicks your body into starvation mode. My calories are set at 1200 per day, without exercise. I'm doing the Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred and burn around 300 calories during the 30 min workout. I know that allows me to eat a total of 1500 calories a day, but I'm not. I've only been netting around 1100 per day. Is that bad? When will my body start to think I'm starving and quit burning calories?

Your metabolism ALWAYS reacts to your intake level. When it goes down, your metabolism slows. If your intake goes too low, your metabolism will get so slow that weight loss will be very hard without an EXTREMELY strict diet.

As for whether you are eating too little, I see you are 5'2" and currently 190 lbs. For now you MIGHT get away with such a low intake. You will hear over and over that you are undereating, but you are shorter and are starting at a higher BMI, and MFP will never suggest less than 1200 calories, and will always add your exercise back. You won't die, and you won't do any permanent damage, so feel free to give it a try for a couple weeks. If you find you are losing and feel good, then you're fine. If you find that either you A. feel crappy and drained or B. your weight loss slows to almost nothing or stops, then you need to increase your intake by atleast a few hundred calories and see how your body responds.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    Net at least 1200 calories or your metabolism will slow down.

Matebolic rates react to dozens of things throughout every day of our lives. Every time you eat spicy food (or eat at all) or exercise it goes up a little. Every time you're really cold it goes up a little. When you sleep through the night it goes down a little. When your intake goes down at all for a few meals it goes down a little. The problem is when it gets so slow that every little, tiny splurge keeps your from losing fat. I'm talking about 3 oreo cookies recking your week.

There are people who have extremely low intakes, but also have extremely strict diets. It's called calorie restriction. They also look like they are getting ready to pass out all the time. Not the life for me.
  • slaos07
    slaos07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the input...I feel pretty good, not shakey and not extremely hungry. I think I will try it for a little while and see how it goes. If I start to feel bad I will add some more calories in. I'm trying to get decent calories - not just empty calories. Thanks again for all of the info.
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    If you notice that your weight loss slows down after a couple months, try bumping your calories up a bit. I found I lose consistantly at around 1400 net a day, I had stalled on the 1200.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    If you notice that your weight loss slows down after a couple months, try bumping your calories up a bit. I found I lose consistantly at around 1400 net a day, I had stalled on the 1200.

Isn't it interesting that so few can make such a difference?
  • EBell83
    EBell83 Posts: 18
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I had the same question. I've been a few hundred calories under the suggested allowance daily, but never feel hungry, so I don't make up for it. I've been curious as to the long term effects of starvation mode and whether or not I was "in it" if I just didn't honestly feel hungry.
  • TateFTW
    Options
    Thanks for asking this. I had the same question. I've been a few hundred calories under the suggested allowance daily, but never feel hungry, so I don't make up for it. I've been curious as to the long term effects of starvation mode and whether or not I was "in it" if I just didn't honestly feel hungry.

The problem is that people take the general suggestions of a website and turn it into a steadfast rule. People who are more overweight can support a larger deficit then someone who doesn't have a lot of fat to use. Also, people who are short and/or already in shape may NEED an intake below 1200 in order to lose fat. It's also not true that you have to stay over a certain number every single day.

It's all relative. That's why we need people who know a lot about food to help us along the way. if it was so simple and easy, everyone would be thin. When I give advice, I take that person's specific situation into account. For the average person, 1200 is too few calories. But it's not true for every sinlge person.
  • mayandtaylor
    mayandtaylor Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is my second go round with MFP. I got totally frustrated the last time because i was going strictly by my total calories and using the extra calories I earned exercising. I only lost 15 lbs in 6 months.

This time around I did a week of extremely low carb to break the insulin resistance, but I also tracked my calories at the same time. I was coming in at around 1000 calories a day and loss 10 lbs the first week. Woo Hoo. But as soon as I went back to adding carbs into the diet, even though I am always below the suggested intake for the day, I haven't lost a bit. I am actually about a half pound heavier in the last 8 days. I have been consuming about 1100 calories a day and also not hungry. I have actually been pushing myself to eat a snack after dinner just to get to the 1100 mark. I believe I have put myself into starvation mode.

So from here on out I am going to try the calorie cycling diet. Which has 3 average calorie days-1200 for me, 2 low days-1000 for me and 2 high days 1700 for me so my body will not shut down the weight loss like it has. I am going to mix the days up so my lows and highs are split up throughout the week. and see how this works. If I do not start seeing some results I am going to start thinking it is impossible for me to loose weight.

I am about 5 lbs heavier than I was when I gave up last time because I was seeing no progress for weeks at a time, but last time I was going over on my sugar consistently and going over 1200 calories most days becasue of my exercise calories.
  • katbass
    katbass Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    1200 calories may not be the right number for you.

I posted this on several posts last week, and I just copied and pasted it for convenience sake, so ignore the parts that dont pertain to your situation. Its a common question here (there are currently 3 threads with this exact dilemma in discussion, so dont feel bad for questioning it :)) But the BMR stuff is important :) MFP sets your calories based on what you tell it. If you told it you want to lose 2lbs per week, its gonna go as low as 1200 calories. But thats not necessarily healthy or the right thing to do. Really...check out your BMR and stick to it:

Short answer: Try Searching this topic, as it has been discussed ad nausea here on the site.

Longer (but not nearly long enough) answer:
    Your body requires a certain number of calories in order for you to simply exist. In order for you eyes to blink, your heart to keep beating, your hair to keep growing, your organs to keep functioning, you have to feed it a certain number of calories. This number is called your BMR. (Use the tool on this site to check your BMR...) For example, my BMR is about 1490 calories. So say I lay in bed allllll day, motionless. I would require 1490 calories just to keep my body alive in a coma-like state.
    The second I get out of bed, walk across the room, open the door to the bathroom, brush my teeth, pee, weigh myself, turn on the hot water,and hop in the shower...I have burned calories. Minimal...but still enough to start cutting into the 1490 my body needs in order to fuel its most basic functions.

So if I eat my BMR of 1490 a day, I am only giving my body enough to do its basic functions.

MFP gave me 1200 calories based on my desire to lose 2 lbs a week. At my height and current weight, losing 2 lbs per week is not reasonable, but I wanted to lose FAST. And the lowest MFP will set someone's calories is 1200 (For many good reasons). 1200 is sort of an arbitrary number at this point but no one should really eat LESS than 1200, and there are likely very few people who could eat 1200 calories for the rest of their lives and maintain weight or stay satisfied. (opinion...sorry) I lost 20+ lbs eating 1200 cals a day. Wahoo! Yeah me!! Right? WRONG. The second I started eating "normal" again, I gained all 20+ lbs back, PLUS MORE. It might "work" in the short term, but for many here, 1200 calories isnt the lifestyle change needed to STAY healthy and thin.

OK, back to the exercise thing. If I eat my 1500 (1490) cals today, my body will already be at a deficit for weight loss since I got out of bed, functioned, walked, lifted my toddler countless times, etc. So if I were to workout and burn 500 calories this afternoon, my body would be at an even greater deficit, and risk pushing my body to panic. Once your body panics and your metabolism worries that you are not feeding it enough, you will start to store fat at a faster rate. Your body and metabolism will try to hang onto any extra store of fat in preparation for an upcoming "famine".

Another way to look at it: If you eat 1200 calories and then exercise 500 calories away, you are only holding onto 700 calories for your body to draw from for energy, organ function, eye blinking, etc etc. Its just not enough for your body to exist on without causing longterm troubles.

It took me a looooong time to "get" this. I still have to consciously remind myself to eat my calories in order to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive...but it WORKS. When I eat my BMR and at LEAST half my exercise calories, I lose weight. When I only eat 1200 calories, I am miserable, hungry, and i might lose some weight initially...but i gain it alllll back with a few extra for fluffiness.

Bottom line: eat more, keep moving, lose more, keep it off
    BMR + exercise calories = longterm success

Hope that helped!

Also, if you put your goal as "lose 2 lbs per week" then MFP will set your calorie goal accordingly. That is why it gave you 1200 cals rather than your BMR. Its fruatrating to repeatedly see people say "eat 1200 if youre a girl and 1500 if youre a guy" because every body is sooo different. Dont take that 1200 "golden" number and assume you will lose weight. You might initially, but youll likely stall if your frame/height/etc arent getting enough calories to exist on. BMR is the way to go.
  • shepali
    Options
    Wow! I've been searching and reading the posts for over 30 minutes - and this one finally MADE SENSE to me. So, thank you katbass. This should be made into a sticky post, or should be added to the 'read this first' section!

1200 calories may not be the right number for you.

I posted this on several posts last week, and I just copied and pasted it for convenience sake, so ignore the parts that dont pertain to your situation. Its a common question here (there are currently 3 threads with this exact dilemma in discussion, so dont feel bad for questioning it :)) But the BMR stuff is important :) MFP sets your calories based on what you tell it. If you told it you want to lose 2lbs per week, its gonna go as low as 1200 calories. But thats not necessarily healthy or the right thing to do. Really...check out your BMR and stick to it:

Short answer: Try Searching this topic, as it has been discussed ad nausea here on the site.

Longer (but not nearly long enough) answer:
    Your body requires a certain number of calories in order for you to simply exist. In order for you eyes to blink, your heart to keep beating, your hair to keep growing, your organs to keep functioning, you have to feed it a certain number of calories. This number is called your BMR. (Use the tool on this site to check your BMR...) For example, my BMR is about 1490 calories. So say I lay in bed allllll day, motionless. I would require 1490 calories just to keep my body alive in a coma-like state.
    The second I get out of bed, walk across the room, open the door to the bathroom, brush my teeth, pee, weigh myself, turn on the hot water,and hop in the shower...I have burned calories. Minimal...but still enough to start cutting into the 1490 my body needs in order to fuel its most basic functions.

So if I eat my BMR of 1490 a day, I am only giving my body enough to do its basic functions.

MFP gave me 1200 calories based on my desire to lose 2 lbs a week. At my height and current weight, losing 2 lbs per week is not reasonable, but I wanted to lose FAST. And the lowest MFP will set someone's calories is 1200 (For many good reasons). 1200 is sort of an arbitrary number at this point but no one should really eat LESS than 1200, and there are likely very few people who could eat 1200 calories for the rest of their lives and maintain weight or stay satisfied. (opinion...sorry) I lost 20+ lbs eating 1200 cals a day. Wahoo! Yeah me!! Right? WRONG. The second I started eating "normal" again, I gained all 20+ lbs back, PLUS MORE. It might "work" in the short term, but for many here, 1200 calories isnt the lifestyle change needed to STAY healthy and thin.

OK, back to the exercise thing. If I eat my 1500 (1490) cals today, my body will already be at a deficit for weight loss since I got out of bed, functioned, walked, lifted my toddler countless times, etc. So if I were to workout and burn 500 calories this afternoon, my body would be at an even greater deficit, and risk pushing my body to panic. Once your body panics and your metabolism worries that you are not feeding it enough, you will start to store fat at a faster rate. Your body and metabolism will try to hang onto any extra store of fat in preparation for an upcoming "famine".

Another way to look at it: If you eat 1200 calories and then exercise 500 calories away, you are only holding onto 700 calories for your body to draw from for energy, organ function, eye blinking, etc etc. Its just not enough for your body to exist on without causing longterm troubles.

It took me a looooong time to "get" this. I still have to consciously remind myself to eat my calories in order to lose weight. It seems counter-intuitive...but it WORKS. When I eat my BMR and at LEAST half my exercise calories, I lose weight. When I only eat 1200 calories, I am miserable, hungry, and i might lose some weight initially...but i gain it alllll back with a few extra for fluffiness.

Bottom line: eat more, keep moving, lose more, keep it off
    BMR + exercise calories = longterm success

Hope that helped!

Also, if you put your goal as "lose 2 lbs per week" then MFP will set your calorie goal accordingly. That is why it gave you 1200 cals rather than your BMR. Its fruatrating to repeatedly see people say "eat 1200 if youre a girl and 1500 if youre a guy" because every body is sooo different. Dont take that 1200 "golden" number and assume you will lose weight. You might initially, but youll likely stall if your frame/height/etc arent getting enough calories to exist on. BMR is the way to go.