Cream sauce recipe?

Options
NikkiJ17
NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
Looking for a low cal but still tasty Alfredo or similar sauce to use with seafood & pasta. Used to just buy the jar of Alfredo sauce but don't wanna spend those calories!!

Replies

• LJ0125
    LJ0125 Posts: 89
    Options
    I'm curious to about this too. I don't really like red sauce and have always used alfredo.

Bump!
  • Samantharose8akaDebbie
    Options
    I use the package one and add water. There is a bit more sodium, but they taste pretty good and are lo cal.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Since most cream sauces are made with cream and cheese you will likely not find a low calorie option. Treat yourself on occasion to the real one only I guess!

I make my own tomato sauce that is amazing, you wil never go back to a jar once you make it from scratch.
  • knapowell
    knapowell Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    i just found this, but I haven't tried it or put it in so see the exact nutritional info.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/08/guiltless-alfredo-sauce.html
  • CandeesLand
    Options
    BUMP
  • NikkiJ17
    Options
    i just found this, but I haven't tried it or put it in so see the exact nutritional info.

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/08/guiltless-alfredo-sauce.html

I looked up the websites suggested and this one looks to be the lowest cal and swears that it's tasty. So we'll give it a shot!!
  • jamie1888
    jamie1888 Posts: 1,704 Member
    Options
    How about stirring in some laughing cow wedges into your warm pasta so it melts? Or some light Philly cream cheese w/ some parmesan? Adding something like greek yogurt might make it more saucy and pack in some extra protein.
  • j5e5n85
    Options
    i use milk and grated parm cheese and i use garlic pepper and salt for flavors with skim milk and i use cornstarch to thicken it and it tastes yummy
  • garedds
    garedds Posts: 251
    Options
    1 Can condensed cream of mushroom soup (or chicken or broccoli)
    1/4 cup parm. cheese
    1/4 cup milk (more or less depending on how thick you want it)
    parsely
    garlic powder
    onion powder

Mix all together over med heat. Serve over pasta.

It's not exactly alfredo sauce but it tastes good.
  • leslielove
    leslielove Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz has a wicked tasty recipe that's made with cauliflower of all things! Seriously, try this.

http://www.doctoroz.com/videos/dave-liebermans-fettucine-alfredo
  • katevonr
    Options
    Just last night I made a relatively guilt-free cream sauce. I used some fat free half & half, minced roasted garlic (in the jar from Spice World), fresh ground pepper, and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Because of the lack of fat in the cream, this sauce doesn't thicken too well, but if you made a rouix first, I'm sure that would work. I didn't use the sauce on pasta, but rather wilted some fresh spinach in the pan I made it in to make a quasi-creamed spinach, which was delicious.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Hi Nikki -

For a better Alfredo option (without all the salt, who wants to blow up the next day!) you can make a quick version from scratch.

Pat of real butter, approx 1 tbsp of flour - cook that on low in a pan until you figure it's done (2-3 mins), then pour in skim milk and whisk it on low/med heat until it starts to thicken up. Then, toss in a handful of parmesan cheese and continue cooking until it thickens more, then you can season with garlic and white pepper.

the healthy alfredo is not that bad once you break it down. Harder to measure the calories the first time but you'll get the hang of it.
  • minervasp73
    Options
    Just last night I made a relatively guilt-free cream sauce. I used some fat free half & half, minced roasted garlic (in the jar from Spice World), fresh ground pepper, and fresh grated parmesan cheese. Because of the lack of fat in the cream, this sauce doesn't thicken too well, but if you made a rouix first, I'm sure that would work. I didn't use the sauce on pasta, but rather wilted some fresh spinach in the pan I made it in to make a quasi-creamed spinach, which was delicious.

Fat Free half and half is made with hydrogenated oil, which goes straight to FAT on a human body. Just use lowfat milk instead - it's better for you.
  • motoxmom1
    Options
    I really like Ragu's Light Alredo. 60 calories per serving 1/4 Cup.
  • lisamt83
    lisamt83 Posts: 119
    Options
    I saw this recipe this morning on Hungry Girl...I am not sure how it taste as I have never tried it...but here ya go!!

Ingredients:
    1 package House Foods Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine Shaped Noodle Substitute
    1 tsp. fat-free sour cream
    2 tsp. reduced-fat Parmesan-style grated topping
    1 wedge The Laughing Cow Light Original Swiss cheese
    Salt and black pepper, to taste

Directions:
    Use a strainer to rinse and drain shirataki noodles well. Pat dry. In a microwave-safe bowl, microwave for 1 minute. Drain excess liquid. Dry as thoroughly as possible, using paper towels. Cut noodles up a bit, using kitchen shears if you've got 'em.

Add sour cream, grated topping, and cheese wedge, breaking cheese wedge into pieces as you add it. Microwave for 1 minute.

Stir well and then season to taste with salt and pepper. Enjoy!

MAKES 1 SERVING

PER SERVING (entire recipe): 99 calories, 4g fat, 376mg sodium, 9.5g carbs, 4g fiber, 1g sugars, 5.5g protein -- PointsPlus™ value 2*
  • NikkiJ17
    Options
    Thanks everyone!