My Jeans Ripped Today... Again...

Options
UGHHHH

LASDKJLAKURJNKAS83490QURFJN,.ZXMC,NOIUQWRLKNLAKNVWEL942380JNKLLKJDSOUGAND

That is my frustration, laid out for you in text on a computer screen.

-WARNING-
What you are about to read maybe TMI for some, but hey, I'm just trying to tell it like it is.

Once again, my jeans ripped in the crotch area today. This is the second time I have had to sew them up. Normally they rip where my thighs rub together and create friction, causing my jeans to wear. But this time they ripped along the seams. THE SEAMS PEOPLE. And the frustrating part? According to the scale I haven't gained weight. I wear these jeans quite a bit since I have to wear jeans to work, but I am just sitting in an office chair, not up and walking around all the time.

I guess I am writing this post because I am feeling really discouraged. I feel as though I should go up a pants size because of this, but if I do I feel as though I am somewhat giving up on losing weight. Plus, I don't want to spend money on jeans that I (hopefully) would only wear for another month or two. I don't know.. I am working my *kitten* off, and I don't want to feel like all my efforts are going to waste since my jeans just continue to rip.. Any advice/motivation would be greatly appreciated as I sit here and sew up my jeans..

Replies

• robbienjill
    robbienjill Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    It is a mind blower going up a size. Went up a size myself this weekend. On the flip side...I'm so much more comfortable and not feeling squished in:) let's both hit the diet and exercise very hard from this. day forward.

Jill
  • Tracey_B_72
    Tracey_B_72 Posts: 1,021 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say treat yourself to a new pair of jeans, I get most of mine at Asda, about £10. I spent years sewing jeans together from friction holes in the inner thigh area or from continually pulling jeans over the huge muffin top and pulling th belt loops off, just get a new pair, you might find your a size smaller now. I reckon I had a pair of 16 jeans stretched easily into a 18 maybe even a 20, I killed those jeans but lived in them, they were my safety net.
  • Adc7225
    Adc7225 Posts: 1,318 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear that, I have repaired a friends favorite jeans several times over the years in the area of the upper thighs and crotch.

Suggestion - if you are wearing the same jeans for consecutive days, Don't - you need to allow the fabric time to rest between wears, also you might want to try starching the area with the spray on ironing type, this helps smooth the fabric so that it does not rub and wear so much.
  • jnicb
    jnicb Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Oh my, I can completely relate to this. I've had jeans that have ripped in the crotch area and have worn down to holes between my thighs. I found that certain brands do it more than others, and though you may or may not have gained weight or muscle, it's possible that they just don't fit your body proportions correctly. For me, the jeans with 2% of elastic tend to wear down faster than those that are 1% elastic or just 100% cotton.

Easier said than done (trust me, I know), but keep your head up! It might be frustrating and may hurt your pride a little, but going up a size isn't the worst thing. And by doing so, you're definitely not giving up on losing weight. Dig deep to find the motivation and remind yourself why you're trying to lose weight or tone up, and that you can change your body. It just takes time :)

Good luck with everything. And remember to breathe :)
  • tisamg
    tisamg Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! I just read this under the Motivation and Support forum and it helped me look at things a little clearer.

My jeans ripped out at work right up the back seam a few months ago. I had reached my goal weight in a very slow and healthy manner and maintained for years. Recently, I have gained back 20+ lbs. and have felt very discouraged.

What if you had to choose between the following:

OPTION 1) Get rich quick, but spend all the money and be poor again, just as quickly - possibly even poorer than you started

or

OPTION 2) Take some time, earn your wealth, and learn how to preserve it.

Which would you pick?

It seems pretty obvious to me, which option is better. I want a lasting wealth... even if it means I have to work for it. I don't want a flash in the pan that disappears in a heartbeat - potentially leaving me scarred in the process... I want something sustainable. Something lasting. Something I can pass on to my kids after I am gone.

And yet - so many topics on this site are focused on helping people achieve OPTION 1... some VLCDs, cleanses, fad diets, starvation and the like - abound a plenty.

So many people seem to think that they'll be the exception to the rule - that they'll lose weight super fast, turn into this low fat, ripped, amazing sexy creature, and keep that body for EVERRRRR.... and yet they don't learn the proper tools to preserve the wealth they achieve (if they even achieve it in the first place!)

And it's kinda ridiculous.

Take this thread as an encouragement - you didn't gain weight overnight...
    YOU DON'T HAVE TO LOSE IT OVERNIGHT!

I challenge you to ALLOW YOURSELF...
    - GRACE to lose weight slowly. Adjust your timelines to allow yourself time to change the way you approach food.
    - ROOM to make mistakes... no one can do this perfectly! You will have days where you feel like you have failed. It is OK. Just keep trying.
    - FREEDOM to have those foods you feel you cannot live without. Find a way to fit an occasional treat into your life
    - PERMISSION to love yourself as you are, knowing that you are working towards being healthier.
    - REALISM... set realistic goals for what you want to look like... recognize your body type and see what thinner versions of those body types look like. (If you have a massive chest, you likely won't look like Kate Hudson when you lose your weight!)

Too many times I see people hate themselves into losing weight, and they do WHATEVER IS NECESSARY to get to their goal as fast as possible... and too many times I see them on the side of the road with their head between their knees... broken because they feel like they've failed.

Train for your marathon... you don't have to run it the first time you lace up your shoes...
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if your jeans are ripping, they are clearly not the right size for you. I would think the mild frustration of going up a size temporarily would pale in comparison to the embarrassment of spilling out of a pair that you're squeezed into, and the time and effort to repair said too-small jeans. Find a few pairs at a thrift store for cheap until you get to your goal size.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Sorry this happened to you! Maybe the jeans were just too old and its time for some new ones, anyway?? :flowerforyou:
  • marchellaz
    marchellaz Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    When I was running and doing a lot of squats my butt got bigger too and had to go up a size. You may just be working a bubble into your butt which I think looks better than a flat but anyways.
  • farrellz
    farrellz Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Wearing ripped up jeans seems to be a fashion trend. Don't repair them. Set a new trend of wearing jeans with the crotch ripped out!
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking the jeans were old. Some just aren't made very well either and it seems once they rip, then they will just continue doing that.

Target has some awesome jeans for pretty cheap - Merona.
  • JamsyVB
    JamsyVB Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Yeah, shes from Indiana and they dont have asda or know what pounds are worth.
  • rachelrb85
    rachelrb85 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    My dress ripped today too! But that's because it's a cheap Target dress.

Don't over analyze it! Maybe your jeans are just getting old? Treat yourself to a new pair!
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Thrift stores are my answer. I go to Value Village in the "rich" area of town, where the clothes seem to be newer. You can afford $6 for a pair of fairly new jeans. Hang in there, I wear out my jeans in the crotch area all the time. When I buy new, I buy at Ricki's because they seem to last a long time.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Stop buying crappy jeans. :)
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    There is a whole Spongebob episode about this issue.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I know this isn't what you want to hear, but if your jeans are ripping, they are clearly not the right size for you. I would think the mild frustration of going up a size temporarily would pale in comparison to the embarrassment of spilling out of a pair that you're squeezed into, and the time and effort to repair said too-small jeans. Find a few pairs at a thrift store for cheap until you get to your goal size.

Not always though. When I was at my heaviest, I bought my clothes too big because I thought that would help hide my fat rolls. Even though they were baggy, I was constantly tearing through the crotches...it was just a matter of my thighs rubbing so harshly against each other and cheap jeans.

OP: Be comfortable. Don't punish yourself, especially since you're working on losing weight. Go to Goodwill and buy a cheap pair of jeans that fit well, and then let yourself shrink out of them.
  • badgerninja
    Options
    Have you considered that they've probably worn out with being used and washed frequently?
  • Josalinn
    Josalinn Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Plus, I don't want to spend money on jeans that I (hopefully) would only wear for another month or two.

Goodwill.

Or a thrift store/consignment shop. From what I understand Good Will doesn't have try on areas. I have gotten a pair of really
    nice jeans for $10 before from a consignment shop.
  • SomeGirlSomewhere
    SomeGirlSomewhere Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Try buying jeans that have some spandex in them...they are more forgiving and therefore less likely to rip.